What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

External Power Outlet

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
I'm curious to know if there's any of you who may have install an external power outlet on your RV-4??

My battery is located in a bay under the center section between my legs and with a radio console on top of it, it makes access to the battery very difficult when the battery needs a boost for starting..

If you could post pictures, it will be even better..

I've had a small incident today that tells me I need to install one asap..

Thank you for your time

Bruno
[email protected]

Solar charger

Hi

I have put cigar lighter plugs in both my 9 and 4 and leave them connected to a solar charger when the aeroplane is on the ground.

This is especially necessary with the 9 as it has a diesel which needs more ooomph to start it on a cold morning. The solar panel puts out 15watts and is great to ensure you battery is topped up.

My plug on the 4 is in front of the stick so I can use it for aux power as well. I am considering putting an external socket as well. For protection I use a 15amp line fuse connected directly to the battery.

AN2552-3A

I installed an external power connector on my 7A. And the connector I used is a standard 3-prong AN2552-3A, like this:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/extpowerrect.php

This connector is big and bulky, but:

1) It can handle starter current, so you can jump-start directly from an external power source if needed.

2) This is the standard connector used in almost all certified small aircraft (Pipers being the notable exception), so you're likely to find a battery cart or a GPU that has this connector at most any airport.

P.S. Just a couple of weeks ago I had an experience that reinforced my decision to use this connector in the RV. I almost got stuck at an airport away from home, in a Cherokee with what turned out to be a bad starter. With the help of a couple of local helicopter mechanics, we ended up doing a field repair on the starter so we could get home. But in the process of troubleshooting, we were running down the battery and needed to plug into external power. Naturally, the mechanic had a battery cart handy, but of course the battery cart had only the standard 3-prong plug. Pipers, unfortunately, have an external power connector that's different from the standard 3-prong found on most other aircraft. So it seemed that we were SOL, as no-one around had a Piper-style plug or adapter. We ended up using automotive jumper cables to clip directly on to terminals under the cowling, which was pretty sketchy... It ultimately got the job done without incident, but the whole thing was more time consuming and far more dangerous than it would have been if the airplane had the standard 3-prong connector.

I've had a Piper-style jack on my RV-8 ever since it was new, and love it! Not only can it be used for a start-cart engine start, but it is perfect for powering the ship in the hangar for avionics/EFIS maintenance and training. I used the installation methods and circuit recommended by Bob Knuckolls on his site. Yes, it adds weight - but if you are in a cold climate, it sure makes a jump start easier when you need it.

Paul

RV-4 external power port

On my original RV-4, I took care of the inconvenience of accessing the battery under the panel by extending No. 4 cables to a location under the floor, and under the rear seat. I installed a regular 50 amp. 220 volt female dryer-type plug and attached the positive and negative to the two outer terminals. The plug was offset from the outer fuselage skin, then made a small cover that could be removed with one screw to access the female plug. The second part of the installation is to also purchase the male plug portion to which you attach a short 6 inch red (for positive) and black (for negative) wire. You carry this plug in your baggage compartment. When you need to charge or get a boost you plug in the male plug and attach regular automotive jumper cables to it from a vehicle, or connect your charger if necessary. Worked well and costs very little.

External Power Plug

Hello Gents

Thanks for the info.

I'm aware of the lighter plug as I have one in my -4 and have a battery Mider connected to it most of the time...

The problem is that I cannot boost a battery using this plug when the battery is down too much and the Battery Minder takes a while to replenish the battery.

I thought about the Piper plug and the 3 throng one but they seem to be very bulky and not quite flush with the aircraft ( I guess I could built an access door flush with fuselage )

What do you guys think of those..??

Will they be sufficent just to jump start an aircraft??

Thank you for your imputs

Bruno

Last edited:
External Power Connection

I have wiring for a "battery plus" maintainer attached to my battery. The cables lead to a convenient location to plug into when I am at the hanger, Just under my engine access hatch. I just bought a:
http://www.powerwerx.com/adapter-cab...tor-clips.html

I will keep this unit in my on-board tool kit. This connects to the battery plus maintainer harness wired directly to the battery that is already in place. The adapter cable I just bought has copper alligator clips for attachment to any 12 volt source for charging. Talked to an electrician and he said my battery can be charged enough to start the plane, with in 20 minutes by just being hooked to another 12 volt battery. He said it can handle about 50 amps for short term, starting, if needed. The wise way to go to put a charge in the battery prior to starting. Jumping a dead battery plane with out charging the battery first is hard on the alternator and not a safe flyaway condition anyway, which most everyone knows, so time will be involved to charge the battery some at any rate, in case of charging system failure.

This is an easy, low weight solution for dealing with a left on master switch or low battery. I understand that you were looking for a high amp jump start option, of which I started with thinking of first also. I am confident with my solution above, after talking with the electrician. Let us know what you decide on.

I have a good friend who has now hung up his wings and is selling his Lancair, that had a very good idea (IMHO) that I will implement on my bird. He installed a plug socket in the wing root just inside of the normal flap area, such that the flaps cover it in flight to keep debris out of it and it is exposed with flaps down to plug in ground power. I believe he just used a standard headphone jack and wired it appropriately (at least that's what it appeared to be on cursory inspection) but the plug/jack to be used is up to the builder. It would not help for a jumpstart but realistically our batteries are pretty small and 30 minutes on a 10-amp charger will get us started unless the battery is completely nerfed.

He always parked his bird with flaps down to discourage people from stepping on them, so the socket was normally exposed any time he was parked in the hangar. Parking with flaps up would of course not give you access if the battery was dead.

RV-4 EXTERNAL POWER

Nick and Greg

Thank you for posting, it is appreciated..

Would you guys have any pictures of your or friend installation as I am more of a visual kind of guy and pictures are worth a thousand words they say..:)

Nick : I think I have these cables somewhere in the hangar, I will look for them and try to set up something hooked up to the battary to which I could connect a quicker charger than my Battery Minder ( 1.5 Amp/hr )

I sure don't want to hand-prop another prop in the near future if I don't need to.

Keep the info coming, it is really useful..

Thank

Bruno

With this light weight setup I can charge and start my RV7 with any 12 volt source.

Pictures are worth more than a word.
What I did was attach leads to my battery that terminate at my engine oil hatch, with a standard plug that attached to my battery tender when in the hanger. Photo at the web site below:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...ZQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1337769286&sr=8-14

Now I also have and carry in my on board tool kit, a plug in ability to hook up to any 12 volt source. This seems better than a piper or other type plug that is limited to same. The photo you asked for is at the web site below:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Power-Disconnect-Clamps/dp/B004XG3BNU

external power

Hi Nick

Thanks for the pictures..

I believe I have the same connection for my Battery Minder, I will check and try to install them in a way where I could reach them easily..

Regarding the one with alligator clips, are these wires big enough to handle a boost from a car or power unit...they seem pretty small to me??

Today I bought one of these power pack that can give a extra charge to a weak battery..

They say on the box that they can be used to boost and start a car via the lighter outlet...not so sure on that one ..I will check before I try that one...

Anyone using one of those?...Mine is made by Stanley..

Cheers

Bruno

The booster with the cig socket plug for starting, may suggest the same procedure as explained for my use with the plug in clamps, e.g., (Let it charge off the booster for some time then start.) I will use this process for my setup.

The wires on the "Plug-in" clamps is 16 gauge, as I was told. I was also told that the RV7 battery could be charged enough to start the engine with in 20 minutes when attached to a 12 volt source at 10 amps with the setup I described.

Straight jump starts to a plane with a dead battery is done at around 50+ amps. 50+ amps is too much for 16 gauge wire for any extended amount of time as it will heat up the wires with prolonged use. Although, since a dead battery needs charging prior to safe flying being done, I will take the time (approximately 20 minutes) to recharge enough to start with my 16 gauge setup. I have not tested this setup yet, but I have talked with an electrician and feel confident this light weight setup will meet my needs as described.

As far as using it for a straight jump start on a dead battery, that is not recommended for a flight situation, only static type maintenance, as I was told by an A&P. I would not use the setup I described to do a straight jump start with a dead battery. My plan was to spend the 20 minutes charging from any 12 volt source prior to cranking. I am no expert, rather I am learning and just talking to the experts for the advise, of which I am sharing. RV's are fun to tinker with, but keep safety a priority.

For straight jump starting at 50+ amps for extended time, heavier gauge wire should be used along with a heavy duty plug or terminal. Several options.

Last edited:
External Power

Hi Nick

That's exactly how I'm planning to use my Battery Booster ( just give the battery that extra juice ) before start...

I will install the connections from my Battery Minder on the battery as you did so if I need to recharge the battery with a more powerful charger I will be able to do it...

Until I install a more permanent fix it should do the job..

Cheers

Bruno

External power connection

Yes Bruno, this setup will give us options if someone, (me,) flips on the master switch and forgets to flip it off for an airshow attended. This setup even allows hooking up to any automobile battery for the needed charging juice.

Wiring the power jack

I've had a Piper-style jack on my RV-8 ever since it was new, and love it! Not only can it be used for a start-cart engine start, but it is perfect for powering the ship in the hangar for avionics/EFIS maintenance and training. I used the installation methods and circuit recommended by Bob Knuckolls on his site. Yes, it adds weight - but if you are in a cold climate, it sure makes a jump start easier when you need it.

Paul

How did you attach the wiring to the single center post on the Piper jack?
I just got the jack from Aircraft Spruce and it's not real clear as to how you wire it up.
Thanks

Battery Minder AA-S5. Not worried about a battery charger hookup. Want to have a ground power hookup primarily for jump starting/ground power supply and second for charger hookup.

Back