What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pronunciations?

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
My wife and I spent more than a year saying "clecko" (just like "gecko") until we starting meeting other airplane builders who called them "cleekos". I don't like sounding like a dork!

"clecko" or "cleeko"?

"sik-a-flex" or "seek-a-flex"?

"long-er-on" or "lon-ger-on"?

Any help? Anyone have any other common pet peeve mis-pronunciations?

My wife and I spent more than a year saying "clecko" (just like "gecko") until we starting meeting other airplane builders who called them "cleekos". I don't like sounding like a dork!
"clecko" or "cleeko"?

It's "cleeko" and "lon-ger-on"

I don't know nuthin' about the "sticky stuff".

"clecko" or "cleeko"?

Cleco and Sikaflex are brand names so in my very brief search online I could not find any pronunciations for them but my experience has always been that Cleco is pronounced klee-ko. Sikaflex is Sik-a-flex.

Here is a link to a Merriam Webster site where you can actually hear the pronunciation of the word "longeron".
http://mw3.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/longeron

"Aluminum" in American English it's pretty simple. The British add another vowel and syllabal. al-loo-min-ee-um? What are they thinking? I am willing to return to the commonwealth, if they'll stop saying that.

Last edited:
monocoque

I've never know the correct pronunciation of "monocoque" as in semi-monocoque construction.

I've always said "mono-Q".

I have a Catto prop and have always pronounced it Kay-tow. Someone tried to tell me it is Cat-oh. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Plenum is pronounced "plen-um." At least here at my house. I've got a dictionary that says it could be either way, that or "pleen-um." So to settle the matter, I went to the huge Webster's New International Dictionary, the second edition, an old library-style book, just massive, and they prefer the second version.

Huh!

Kato, Cato, Caddo, Catto

Kay-tow is correct.

Well, there's two Kay-tow's. One, spelled Kato, was the side-kick (literally) of the Green Hornet. One, spelled Cato, was the house servant of Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther.

There is a swamp creature in Texas mythology, called the Caddo Critter. Pronounced "Cad-doh". There's even a town near Dallas with a well-known gliderport called Caddo Mills.

So I'm glad to be corrected on the pronunciation of Mr. Catto's name, I have been saying "Cat-toh".

There's also a town here south of Dallas called Way-ko.
It is not pronounced like the whaa-ko biplane.
Even though they are both spelled Waco.

There's also a town here south of Dallas called Way-ko.
It is not pronounced like the whaa-ko biplane.
Even though they are both spelled Waco.

Did you hear about the patient who escaped from the Texas State Home in New Braunfels? He made it to the airport where he stole a biplane and was last seen headed north up I-35. The police put out an APB for folks to be on the lookout for a "Wacko in a Waco headed for Waco!":D;)

Plenum is pronounced "plen-um." At least here at my house. I've got a dictionary that says it could be either way, that or "pleen-um." So to settle the matter, I went to the huge Webster's New International Dictionary, the second edition, an old library-style book, just massive, and they prefer the second version.

Huh!

Interesting. For what it's worth, I'm an engineer that has worked with lots of things that have some sort of plenum. Plenum basically refers to any large chamber in an air/liquid circuit. I have always heard it pronounced 'plen-um' and never anything else.

Did you hear about the patient who escaped from the Texas State Home in New Braunfels? He made it to the airport where he stole a biplane and was last seen headed north up I-35. The police put out an APB for folks to be on the lookout for a "Wacko in a Waco headed for Waco!":D;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

While we're at it

While at Osh, I purchased a pilot's watch I had been viewing on the net..Love the watch..It's a Torgoen T1...Had a devil of a time trying to find the correct pronunciation....My research indicates that it is pronounced "tore-goin"..(the end rhymes with "coin").....Is this correct??? By the way...after avionics purchases last year, I could not afford a "Bright-ling"!!!!!

OK, that's gotta be at least a 15-yard penalty and loss of down! :p

Interesting. For what it's worth, I'm an engineer that has worked with lots of things that have some sort of plenum. Plenum basically refers to any large chamber in an air/liquid circuit. I have always heard it pronounced 'plen-um' and never anything else.

Engineer here, and I agree that the accepted pronunciation (in the aerospace and automotive industries anyway) is plen-uhm. I've never heard it pronounced "pleen-uhm.

Skylor
RV-8 N808Sj

Aluminum" in American English it's pretty simple. The British add another vowel and syllabal. al-loo-min-ee-um? What are they thinking? I am willing to return to the commonwealth, if they'll stop saying that.

If you keep changing our language, we don't want you back!!
When on earth did the word route get replaced with "rout" It must have been fairly recently cos I can't remember Nat King Cole singing "Get Your Kicks on ROUT 66!

Keep 'em coming:)

Don't we Brits actually say "al - you - MIN - ee - Um"??

I do struggle with "In ROUT" for "en route" - which like so many aviation expressions and words is French in origin. Fuselage, aileron, longeron (agree with the J in there!). empenn - AH - je or em - PANN - ige? I prefer tail!

What about what boats tie up to? "Boy" or "boo - uoy" (that's about as close as I can get it).

Anyway, who decides what is "right" and what is "wrong" pronunciation? I like knowing I'm in another country. Sometimes I even try to speak the local language.

Chris

Ok , I'll add one that's always driven me nuts .

Turbine as in jet engine . I often hear it pronounced tur-bin . I always thought that's what some people from South East Asia wear on their heads .

Do farmers harvest their crops with a com-bin ?

Just sayin.....

Marc

Last edited:
Ok , I'll add one that's always driven me nuts .

Turbine as in jet engine . I often hear it pronounved tur-bin . I always thought that's what some people from South East Asia wear on their heads .

Do farmers harvest their crops with a com-bin ?

Just sayin.....

Marc
Now that is funny! :D

It reminds me of the Ron White bit when he tells the story of floating down a river (in Minnesota if I remember) with a group of locals who were telling him about the coupons (Q-pons) they had for getting more beer. They were pronouncing the word as "ku-pins".

"So I've got some ku-pins to get some beer. I am going to drive my com-bin down the road to the store. You want to go with?" :p

Oh, by the way, shouldn't that jet engine then be pronounced in-jine?

How about Sensenich propellers, I assumed it was pronounced sen-sin-itch, but when I made a phone call to the factory, they pronounced it sen-sin-ick.

On a more serious note however,

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

You see - your pesky man Noah Webster has so much to answer for, messing around with our fine language.

I think it was a means of saving ink by removing letters... :D

Anyhow, we have now decided on the coloUr scheme of our aEroplane which is made from aluminIum !

On another note, take the words of the famous song that we all know and give the text to somebody who has never heard it and what do we get?

Rubbish:

You say either and I say either,
You say neither and I say neither;
Either, either, neither, neither,
Let's call the whole thing off!

You like potato and I like potato,
You like tomato and I like tomato;
Potato, potato, tomato, tomato!

You say laughter and I say laughter,
You say after and I say after;
Laughter, laughter, after, after,

Tomaato Tomarto.

I will get me coat!

On the flight from Oshkosh to Vero Beach, FL, I spoke with Looville Center, Lanna Center, and Jax Approach. I can't find those places on any map.

Back