What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a filter for my new-to-me 550 gallon fuel tank

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
I just bought a 550 gallon fuel tank and, even though I use a filter when I pour from my 5 gallon tanks, now with the big tank I'm looking for something to permanently install either inline (in the 1" hose) or at the 3/4" adapter coming out of the tank.

Things I'd prefer but not completely deal breakers:

- with a clear container so I can see the debris as it's trapped

- local purchase if possible so I can go get it tomorrow (if not I'll order it)

- reusable so I can clean the element instead of having to buy new disposable cartridges.

I use Goldenrod filters on my fuel dispensing system. 470-5 (10 micron) Fuel Tank Filter is the standard filter (flows 25GPM) and they also have a water blocking filter called ?Water-Block? Fuel Tank Filter element. The globe is transparent so you can see any water or debris in the bowl. They are both throwaway filters. Typically inexpensive and available at a number of farm supply stores. We use the same filter system on the airpark fuel system - have been for many years with no problems.

They didn't have the IN/OUT size I wanted locally so I ordered the fuel filter, the water filter, and some spare filters and o-rings online. Should have it all by Tuesday, Thanks !!

I should have mentioned to purchase the filter bowl wrench too. A large slip lock pliers will work, but tends to damage the bowl.

If you use the ?water absorbing? type, make sure you follow the guidelines on filter changes. They trap water and will rust over time, allowing small particles of rust through.

If you use the ?water absorbing? type, make sure you follow the guidelines on filter changes. They trap water and will rust over time, allowing small particles of rust through.

Thanks, I'm putting the water trap first because it only stops 17 microns and by stopping the water it'll let the second filter work better too, as per my online research many hours last night. The second filter then traps 10 microns and any rust that comes from the water blocker filter.

Back