What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carseats in an RV

Ash

A few months ago I saw a picture of a child in a carseat in the back of an RV 6 or 7. How many of you have done this, and how long is it practical? We just had our first little one, and wonder how long we may be able to ride 3up. I'd love to see some pics. The wife finishes Vet school in 3 months, and hope to start a -7 right after that.

A few months ago I saw a picture of a child in a carseat in the back of an RV 6 or 7. How many of you have done this, and how long is it practical? We just had our first little one, and wonder how long we may be able to ride 3up. I'd love to see some pics. The wife finishes Vet school in 3 months, and hope to start a -7 right after that.

I was one of the first with my son in an aft seat in our 6A in 1994.

The time limit will be totally dependent on how fast he grows (in size). he will outgrow the space available before he will exceed the weight you can carry.

I feel I need to just be totally honest.... even if you started building tomorrow, even if you finished in only 70% of the time most average first time builders do, he would probably already be too big by the time of your first flight.

My son fit until he was about 3 years old. If you were willing to get a bit more radical you might be able to stretch it a little bit longer (aft facing seat with a custom baggage bulkhead extension for his feet, etc.) but I wouldn't recommend it.

I found removing the passenger seat back and strapping in the standard car seat worked best for me. I could see her, she could see me and I could give her milk, love squeezes etc.

833CCE8C-8226-4883-A5F4-0B541C6FAFA9_zpsd1snfzrd.jpg

FEE0E14F-EBFF-417B-B921-AA6C8477522F_zpsnqdcw2b9.jpg

Baby fits fine but I've listened to screaming for over an hour straight as well as cleaning baby puke and all associated baby hardware after a short flight "in back."
F0AA03C1-E369-4922-A521-1B91863A6702_zpsypvnukt7.jpg

About a year ago my 5 year old was the largest I put in the rear seat, I've used it way less than I thought I would.
A6DCE65E-4470-465D-BB1B-37D7C40ADAAD_zpsynrs25c4.jpg

lawyery stuff

Every November (1st Saturday), we host the 'Slobovia Outernational Pumpkin Drop' at my home airport (MS71). We try to let as many kids as possible go up and drop a pumpkin at the target, and it's been fairly common for guys with Super Cubs to take even really young kids up to drop. The really young ones would get an adult in the back with the kid (both under one seat belt) for supervision. Last year, one of our new airport residents (an FAA employee) pointed out that the Super Cub is certified for 2 seats; not 3.

Anyone know the correct legal answer, and whether it applies to experimentals? I'm pretty sure I already know the answer when it comes to insurance; good luck if you need to file a claim for something that happens with a 3rd soul on board if the policy was written for a 2 seat plane. Has anyone actually insured a 2 seat RV as a 3 seat?

Charlie

Nah; it's a lot tougher to hit the target. Unstable aerodynamics and all that....

(unstated completion of the sentence: 'pumpkins'.)

I have done this but would not recommend it to anyone else.

1st, consider that in the event of an emergency, it is not easy to get your child out quickly. The slider does not go back far enough and the tip up has a permanent canopy over the back. Very difficult to get then in/out without hitting their head.

By the time they are old enough to communicate their concerns/needs, they are too big for the back.

We have also had the little one sit in the front with mom. We used a Baby Bejorn strapped to mom, with her seat belt between her and our son. Not sure the baby bejorn can handle the G-force of impact. But strapping a seat belt around both mom and son will definitely kill the little one in a sudden stop.

As said, I have done it but would never do it again. Get a 4-place.

I would start a 10 kit except my #3 kid is on the way. So I've decided to just stick with a two seater and then buy a share in a 6 seater

Back