What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monkey Island Grand Lake OK

crabandy

Well Known Member
Impromptu RV trip because the Wx was simply too nice not to go flying, we just needed a place to go to. Ray was nice enough to haul 2 of my girls in his 10 and the Pie went with me to give "Monkey Island" a try. Above the clouds at 9500 and a cool 47*F on the way down with about 10 knts of tailwind. Even "met" a fellow VAF'er UKFigs on the air to air frequency. On the way south.
EB4A8C3A-686F-4852-AC8E-9A662F96E39B_zpsol8zagli.jpg

On arrival at Monkey island.
7B3D5235-B963-4FC7-94EC-282C5D8161AF_zpswds9bmfu.jpg

The Marina resturant is right off (couple hundred feet) of the end of the runway, really gets everyone's attention when someone takes off! There is also a small resturant/gas station on the field if you'ld rather eat on the ramp. Eating on the dock at the Marina, lots of ocean sized boats for a landlocked lake in Oklahoma.
86592567-4F64-4F8A-9A9F-511CF25B1444_zpsaafkcm4b.jpg

5A90DAE0-4B7F-4374-9410-A3412DA99B01_zpssoii7jwv.jpg

On the ramp looking down runway 17 that ends up almost in the lake and right beside the marina restaurant.
00A55EEC-C623-4B07-AB46-F3CDA0ED8F85_zpsj8eg8rtq.jpg

Resort just east if the airport.
800D6B9A-87C2-496E-AFB2-943FC6305C26_zpsuzsfbyy8.jpg

So nice to be able to easily climb above the bumpy summer clouds into cooler temps, the RV performance still amazes me.
DED18769-BE8D-43DD-B8F3-8118DFA9AE12_zpsbpvw2lju.jpg

Did you grt charged a landing fee? I have stopped visiting that airport because of the landing fees they imposed 3-4 years ago. They had a fun restaurant outside the fence from the ramp too.

Mokey Island

Flew there Saturday afternoon too! Crazy!
I worked all week and needed a place to fly, so I took a co-worker, who has never flown in an airplane, down to Monkey Island Saturday afternoon for a burger and chicken wrap! There was a Pitts with smoke on doing some acro. I asked Paul if I a low pass offended anyone and he said, ****, I own the place, go ahead! So I did, departed 17 and left tire marks on the Marina! Joking, but it is a good little place to fly, have good food on the Marina and check out the boats.

Kenny Gene
Wichita Kansas area
Rv7a 294TC AWC 09-07 690 hours sold 11-11
Rv10 484TC AWC 10-10 398 hours

It looks like you had fun improvising Andy. I am wondering why they call the Peninsula an Island? :)

It looks like you had fun improvising Andy. I am wondering why they call the Peninsula an Island? :)

It's a peninsula at the moment cuz the water is down a bit, when the water is at normal levels the the low area at the north side of the peninsula fills in with water making it an "island!"

Aqua Bar & Grill Hours

This looks like a nice spot to stop for lunch this Friday enroute to Texas Motor Speedway. Does anyone know what the hours are at the Aqua Bar & Grill after Labor Day, the website only says open daily through Labor Day?

OPEN DAILY THROUGH LABOR DAY
11 am to 9 pm Friday & Saturday til 10pm

Hours
April, Saturday ? Sunday, 11am to 8pm
May, Fri - Sunday, 11am - 9pm
Memorial Day & Labor Day, 11am - 9pm

Thanks,
Chad

Vlad,

I think we should investigate. How about we meet there sometime?

Absolutely positively affirmative Dean. When? :D

It's a peninsula at the moment cuz the water is down a bit, when the water is at normal levels the the low area at the north side of the peninsula fills in with water making it an "island!"

Wow! None of those in my logbook. On the bucket list :)

Absolutely positively affirmative Dean. When? :D

Vlad, there's a free meal and RV Hotel waiting for you in Wichita. Less than an hour from Monkey Island. Can't say it's as exotic as most of the other places you seem to end up, but the price is right.

Back