What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why an overhead console?

Mike D

Well Known Member
So, why an overhead console?
Seems everyone does it. But what do you actually use it for other than lights and air vent hose?

You said it

Lights and most importantly fresh overhead air supply.
It also makes a convenient cover for wire bundles for GPS antennae
or headset wiring.
If you live in a hot climate the overhead fresh air supply is enough reason to add an overhead console IMHO.

I agree with Ernst, but they reduce headroom. I am 6'4" and very long in the upper torso. I Bumped my headset when leaning to the center. Actually lowered the seat 1" to get enough headroom.

I know about the carefully designed seat foam, but if you can't be comfortable, why build a -10? My -6A had a 3/4" seat cushion before I did the Almost A -14 Aerosplat mod.

If you are tall or long upper body, try to find one to sit in before you drop the money on the overhead.

It was the only mod that my wife insisted I install. She wanted fresh air blowing in her face an not her crotch. Now that I'm flying, I think air in the face is more effective at being perceived to cool you off than the standard vents.

I have the Aerosport Products console installed and have not found it to be an issue of hitting my head on the console.

Secondarily, I'm got all of my interior lighting installed in the console as well.

Good replys so far. Thanks!!

How are most getting the fresh air to the front and rear seats?
Are you adding NACA vents in the rear and using scat tubes to pull it forward? Is there another way?

Do others without the overhead vents feel you need more fresh air?

You have to add NACA vents in the rear. I opted to go with one on the right side, which feeds 4 eyeball vents the overhead. Some have opted to go with 2 NACA vents (1 on each side). SCAT connects the NACA to the overhead.

My Warrior has a ventilation fan in the tail cone that allows forced air distribution through the overhead vents while on the ground. There is a pickup at the top of the vertical stab that connects to the fan suction with scat tubing. The fan then feeds into the overhead console.

Has anyone considered a similar arrangement for their -10? The extra ventilation due to the fan is great on hot days on the ramp. You can direct a stream of air right on top of your head, which helps a lot. It may not be as good as air conditioning, but it is pretty useful.

Do it your way

There have been so many 10s built with many variations that when you ask about any option lots of folks who have chosen that particular option jump in the forum to convince you to also do that option. Those that chose a different way remain silent so you never get a sense of how the masses are going.

It would be my unscientific sense that there are more 10s without the overhead console than with it. I do not have it and am perfectly happy without it. Also saves lots of time and money

Gary

I only have lights and dimmer controls in my overhead console and it hides my antenna coax cables. I built my own and made it only 5" wide and 3/4 " deep in the front. I did not want anything wider than the 5" because I wanted to maintain headroom in the seating areas. I have found that if I open the front NACA supplied eyeball vents on the ground, I get a very good airflow through them as soon as I fire up the engine as the NACA's collect air from the prop blast.

My Warrior has a ventilation fan in the tail cone that allows forced air distribution through the overhead vents while on the ground. There is a pickup at the top of the vertical stab that connects to the fan suction with scat tubing. The fan then feeds into the overhead console.

Has anyone considered a similar arrangement for their -10? The extra ventilation due to the fan is great on hot days on the ramp. You can direct a stream of air right on top of your head, which helps a lot. It may not be as good as air conditioning, but it is pretty useful.

Yes. The original overhead console maker, Accuracy Avionics sold a dorsal intake scoop that sat at the base of the VS. No fan was necessary. However, I'd hazard to guess that 99.9% have gone with a NACA vent to make the plumbing easier.

I'm with gary here. Last one had rear nacas and an accuracy console. This time I made low profile consoles myself for antennae, lights, rear headset jacks , and lighter. I skipped the extra vents. Maybe saved ten pounds.

The issue of overhead consoles aside, Gary makes an important point for anyone reviewing these online forums and looking for guidance regarding accessories. It is easy to list the benefits of adding things, but more difficult to articulate the value of keeping it simple and light. Not to mention that there is sometimes a certain negative attitude expressed in these public forums towards the simple and light approach. I think everyone should build the airplane they want, and you can't look to an online forum to figure that out.

The issue of overhead consoles aside, Gary makes an important point for anyone reviewing these online forums and looking for guidance regarding accessories. It is easy to list the benefits of adding things, but more difficult to articulate the value of keeping it simple and light. Not to mention that there is sometimes a certain negative attitude expressed in these public forums towards the simple and light approach. I think everyone should build the airplane they want, and you can't look to an online forum to figure that out.

Couldn't agree more. I also think it's important to differentiate between upgrades that arose from some issue (eg PlaneAround's main gear fairing bracket, Matco nose gear axle and wheel, man gear axle extensions, etc) and nice to haves like the overhead console, A/C, full interiors, pre-fab parts, so on and so on.

Do others without the overhead vents feel you need more fresh air?

Personally, I'm fine with what I have (stock). Of course I live in the best climate in the US (San Francisco Bay area). But we've been to hot places, and I was okay, although you always wish for air conditioning while on the ground. But once airborne it's okay. I usually have the two standard vents aimed up and inboard so the vent on the right side hits the pilot's upper body/face, vice versa for the left. I know it hits my face because once I neglected to dry out the inside of the vent after washing, and on the subsequent take off found my glasses coated with water drops!

So, why an overhead console?
Seems everyone does it. But what do you actually use it for other than lights and air vent hose?

The overhead console is a great thing because of the fresh air it lets in when on the ground and in the air. It is a great place for lights, switches and wires as already stated. The Aerosport Overhead console when installed with 2 NACA vents in the battery area and the NACA control valve weighs right around 5lbs installed. So it does not add a lot of weight. The air it provides on the ground when the engine is running is pretty good. It will keep you and your passengers a lot more comfortable than without. I was in Florida at KFMY 3 weeks ago and
was sitting on the ramp 85F sun beating on me with the door open getting ready to start up. It was pretty hot. I shut my door started up and proceeded to get my clearance and my wife commented that once I shut the door and started up it was much better with the air coming in.
The other nice thing is you can have some air blowing on your face or head when needed and is very refreshing. Its not for everyone as you will find on this forum. Everyone has their opinion. You are the one that needs to make this decision. And if its in your budget.
I would recommend you go fly in a RV-10 on a hot day with your wife with it and then without it. Than decide.
As for adding a fan for additional air in the RV-10 it has been done and I believe the results for that was the fans did not do much. Bob if reading this might chime in here.
Bottom line is it necessary NO. Is it nice to have YES. Is it worth the cost and effort only you can decide.

I love mine

It's definitely your decision but I have the Aerosport OH console with lights, air (with the NACA vents and Aerosport controller), and it made a lovely conduit for wiring and hid the GPS antenna mounts that are in the cabin top. The air from the rear NACA vents/OH console is noticeably cooler than the front vents, even in the air, I assume due to being farther from the engine room. I would absolutely do it again, just too many benefits for my tastes to leave it out. No question that air on the face is more pleasant than from the lower vents.

Also, if you really WANT air conditioning you get one. I have the Icebox portable AC (http://switchboxcontrol.com/icebox/). It fits perfectly in the cargo area of a -10 with room for other stuff to spare. It cools very effectively for taxi, takeoff, climb then descent, landing, and taxi. I use it when I travel south but not much locally. He doesn't advertise this but it also keeps beer cold for when you are done flying.

Last edited:
Just another data point.

I do not have an overhead console except for a cereal bowl sized molding at the front of the overhead hosing instrument lights and some GPS antenna wiring. I do like the open headspace but my 6' and shrinking frame could easily tolerate a console.

Overhead interior lights is just not something I have wanted over 3.5 years of flying.

I do live and fly in hot climates (currently fishing in south FL after some out island Bahama work) and ground cabin temps are really uncomfortable. I crack the pilot door and loop the door strap around my arm. Not elegant at all but I can get virtually unlimited air flow thru the cabin. An overhead console with extra NACA vents would be an upgrade here, at least in terms of elegance and door safety.

My decision not to include a console was a cost/benefit or perhaps effort/benefit tradeoff. Less weight is always a good thing. No regrets.

Bill "Tarpon Day 2" Watson

Why an overhead console ?

Another way to introduce air into an overhead console might be to have a small pop up vent similar to the rear seat "agricultural" vent positioned in the top of the cabin top above the console. Would require some innovative custom glass work and could be operated with a simple linkage setup. Apart from water sealing concerns when not in use, pretty sure this would be very effective to supply air to the console when needed, also could be left up to encourage airflow through the cabin when parked in hot weather. Wouldn't be any more disruptive to the airflow than the various antennas, GPS etc some folk put on the cabin top. Haven't done this myself, just an idea. Cheers from Western Australia

I don't miss not having one. I don't think overhead lights are particularly useful, and I don't need wires up there (mounting the GPS antenna on the forward tailcone is just as effective and much simpler). With a good eyeball vent and installation, you'll still get plenty of outside air in your face.

That said, many people love them.

-Rob

I think it may save some time during the build....It covers a large area of the interior cabin top that is bit rough to finish. It has many above mentioned benefits but the one no one mentioned yet...The Coat hanger:)

I think it may save some time during the build....It covers a large area of the interior cabin top that is bit rough to finish. It has many above mentioned benefits but the one no one mentioned yet...The Coat hanger:)

Jack,

I would debate that the most desirable feature for those with young kids is the access panel to install the DVD player and screen. :eek: That's one mod I didn't install, but I know those that have.

To the OP,

You've heard many opinions in this thread and they are just that, opinions. None are right or wrong. Sometimes on VAF, folks get a little hung up on justification of their personal decisions, but like I said, they are their personal decisions. You have to decide what your personal decisions will be. The same goes for primer, avionics, and just about any build decision you'll see on VAF. Nobody else can define your mission and needs but you.

bob

Bob is right, it is your airplane and you get to make the decisions. The exception in my case was my wife who said the -6A is too small, build a -10!

What you can get on this list are ideas, solutions to problems, and help. Every option I put in my ship was researched on this site and the Internet. I ended up with almost perfect, for us, and don't regret any of the changes I made. Despite the changes I was only 1624 lbs ready to fly less paint.

You learn which members you need to take with a grain of salt, those that need the whole salt shaker and who to trust. Just do the research.

two jacks or four?

I'm with gary here. Last one had rear nacas and an accuracy console. This time I made low profile consoles myself for antennae, lights, rear headset jacks , and lighter. I skipped the extra vents. Maybe saved ten pounds.

It seems like a no-brainer to put the jacks for the rear pax in the overhead, but I'm wondering about the pro's and con's of doing the same with the front seaters' headset jacks (vs. mounting them in the instrument panel or elsewhere in the forward cockpit area.)

Planning to have seatbelt hangers, air vents for the front seaters up there on the overhead, but no lighting, if that matters, and also likely the wife and I will be using Halo's vs. cupped headsets.

Opinions welcome; wiring deadline soon :D

All options are good. I'm going with the aerosport center console, and all my power and headset jacks are going there (except for USB power that is in the panel). Here is the installation entry from my KitLog. I decided that headset wires, especially those with noise-cancelling controls, would be too heavy to suspend from the ceiling. However, my oxygen supply ports are in the overhead because oxygen supply hose is feather light. I didn't put jacks in the console because I like center-located jacks (I can get in the aircraft without crawling over cords or having to plug them in after I'm sitting down) and on the panel that would interfere with the engine controls. But, as with the overhead itself, all options work and are good based on your personal preference.

I have an overhead console, home brew, and like how it turned out. I have pretty much everything you could stuff in up there, lighting, GPS, air vents, switches, heater controls.

I like my seatback tilted further rearward, so headroom is no issue.

I also made a center console that fits the tunnel where headset jacks, USB ports and headset storage find their home. It also gives a very comfortable elbow/arm rest when seated.

In a few years, once I am flying, hopefully I am still as pleased with it...
Added weight (excluding stuff that would be located somewhere else any way) is about 5 pounds total.
As others have stated, all personal choices that I don't feel the need to defend or sell. Individualism and choice without someone telling me what I can and can't do (and hopefully some good judgement) is what make this soo much fun!

Leo--

since I built my overhead using your mold, I guess I'm particularly interested to hear your choices for headset jack locations front and rear - especially in light of that amazing wiring harness engineering job you shared with us recently.

since I built my overhead using your mold, I guess I'm particularly interested to hear your choices for headset jack locations front and rear - especially in light of that amazing wiring harness engineering job you shared with us recently.

Bill,

Since as already mentioned, I also don't like climbing in around wires, the jacks needed to go in the center. I also don't like stringing wires all around the cockpit (like I do now in the 182 to power the iPad, Stratus etc.) I wanted USB outlets available also in the center. I also run Bose headsets and can't bare to leave them in plain sight (too expensive) when I park the aircraft somewhere while in travel mode. So I needed somewhere to stow them out of sight when not in use.
And lastly I like the center console arm rest in my big fat SUV that I drive .... I decided to do a center console.

First pic is the wiring insert with all of the jacks fore and aft. The front jacks go inside the center console.

20170714_175508.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Aft view

20170714_175932.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Front jacks inside with the wire/connector attached

20170831_165706.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Console attached to the center tunnel cover. It's on the large side, and not as stylish as some, but will fit 4 pair of Bose headsets (or whatever "stuff" the wife needs at hand while flying). One Item I am considering is cutting two cup holder inserts into the top ... not sure yet. I might end up putting those elsewhere.

20170831_165630.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

It will get lightly padded on top, covered with leather, French seams at the edges and an insert liner inside to clean up the appearance. The wire bundle comes in under the passenger seat, into the tunnel and up through the bottom just aft of the front/rear tunnel cover joint so everything comes off without fishing wires through holes. The hole in the bottom of the console is big enough to fit the connector through so it comes out cleanly with 4 screws.

I am willing to give the mold away for this as well, since I don't need it hanging around gathering dust ... and I have too much work into it to just toss it out. ;)

Last edited:
Bill,

Since as already mentioned, I also don't like climbing in around wires, the jacks needed to go in the center. I also don't like stringing wires all around the cockpit (like I do now in the 182 to power the iPad, Stratus etc.) I wanted USB outlets available also in the center. I also run Bose headsets and can't bare to leave them in plain sight (too expensive) when I park the aircraft somewhere while in travel mode. So I needed somewhere to stow them out of sight when not in use.
And lastly I like the center console arm rest in my big fat SUV that I drive .... I decided to do a center console.

First pic is the wiring insert with all of the jacks fore and aft. The front jacks go inside the center console.

20170714_175508.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Aft view

20170714_175932.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Front jacks inside with the wire/connector attached

20170831_165706.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Console attached to the center tunnel cover. It's on the large side, and not as stylish as some, but will fit 4 pair of Bose headsets (or whatever "stuff" the wife needs at hand while flying). One Item I am considering is cutting two cup holder inserts into the top ... not sure yet. I might end up putting those elsewhere.

20170831_165630.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

It will get lightly padded on top, covered with leather, French seams at the edges and an insert liner inside to clean up the appearance. The wire bundle comes in under the passenger seat, into the tunnel and up through the bottom just aft of the front/rear tunnel cover joint so everything comes off without fishing wires through holes. The hole in the bottom of the console is big enough to fit the connector through so it comes out cleanly with 4 screws.

I am willing to give the mold away for this as well, sine I don't need it hanging around gathering dust ... and I have too much work into it to just toss it out. ;)

Leo,

I'd be interested in your center console mold. This is exactly what I was wanting. Tell me what I need to do.

Mike Rettig

Mike,

PM me where to send it to. All I ask is that you send it on to anyone else that might want to use it.

The mold is for the basic "bucket".
After making the basic part from the mold, form the top rim, cutting the top off, place the part on a piece of glass open top down (waxed or packing tape for release) and run a strip of layup around the edge. Trim to a clean edge when cured.

To form the bottom, first trim the edges from the mold nice and flat. Then set the molded part on a piece of glass with release agent. Pre-wet the precut glass layup with epoxy (between plastic wrap if you want low mess) and tuck it into place forming a bottom.

Mike,

PM me where to send it to. All I ask is that you send it on to anyone else that might want to use it.

The mold is for the basic "bucket".
After making the basic part from the mold, form the top rim, cutting the top off, place the part on a piece of glass open top down (waxed or packing tape for release) and run a strip of layup around the edge. Trim to a clean edge when cured.

To form the bottom, first trim the edges from the mold nice and flat. Then set the molded part on a piece of glass with release agent. Pre-wet the precut glass layup with epoxy (between plastic wrap if you want low mess) and tuck it into place forming a bottom.

Thanks Leo. PM sent!

Hi Mike

Once you are done with the center console mold, can you put me on the list for next to use? I am a few years away from flying but like the looks of this mod.

Thx

Steve

Back