What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Rental Questions

flysc

This morning I recieved an e-mail from the local Aviation Authority who I rent my hanger from. I was advised that they will be issuing locks for all the hangers and will issue two (2) keys but we may request up to five (5). Until now we have supplied our own locks and if you so chose you could keep a key on file with the FBO. I would like to hear your thoughts (pros and cons). Some questions that come to mind are
- As renters do we have an expectation of privacy in the hangers?
- Does the landlord/tenant act apply?
- Who is allowed to enter the hanger, for what reasons and will we the renters be notified that someone is entering?
- What liability if any is the Aviation Authority bringing upon themselves?
- With unknown persons possibly having access to the hangers what would be he stance of insurance company's if things become missing or damaged?

I'm just throwing this out there to here the thoughts of others.

Anthony

They did the same thing at Big Bear Lake where we rent a hangar from the airport. It was mildly annoying because we kept a combo lock on the hangar and since we aren't there that much, it was easy to "loan" the hangar to friends who needed an overnight place for their airplane by just giving them the combo. The airport guys already had our combination so that they could do maintenance as required, and that didn't bother me at all. They just got tired of always having to look up people's combos or finding a key.

We solved our annoyance by mounting a lock box on the door and putting the key in there - so we can still give others to combination and they can get in.

In terms of privacy, I felt that as a tenant living "away", I actually preferred knowing that the airport folks could get in if there was an emergency. But when we're not there, we don't keep much of value in it either.

Hi Anthony. We are going thru this with the City at GTU...along with large increases in rental rates.

Looks like they can put pretty much what they want in leases as long as people accept it and its not against the law and the FAA guidelines.

We're trying to get the best deal and the new airport manager is reasonable to work with and all is improving.

I'm sure others will comment...

Last edited:
Fire Marshall

The community fire marshall is usually allowed to access commercial buildings and inspect bld and fire extinguishers.

Security?

Is it time to purchase and install a security video system? These are small enough to be hidden if you choose. I wouldn't know if you are obliged to tell anyone about the system.:cool:

Use of a city lock has been a standard requirement in the hangar lease agreements at 08A as long as I can remember.

Your questions depend on the written terms in your lease.

Ours say the landlord may enter at any time for reasons relating to the administration and upkeep of the property.

If a city representative damages an airplane, the city would be responsible, unless the lease says they are not.

Privacy is an interesting question. We had a city administrator who felt it was OK to allow county tax officials into the hangars, so they could audit what the aircraft owners were reporting as taxable. I made the case that tax officials had no right to enter any locked property, leased or owned, for any reason, nor did the city have the right to admit a third party. The city attorney agreed, and the practice stopped.

"Damaged or missing" means you make a claim. It's not your decision, or your problem if the insurance company wants to sue for recovery. I doubt they would unless the loss was large. The practical view is that tin hangars are super easy to break into anyway.

It is very common practice for the Authority to issue the locks. It keeps things consistent and allows for access for fire inspections, maintenance, and emergency access. Privacy may be a concern, but these are airplane hangars and you should not be keeping anything that personal in them anyway.

If you are worried that maintenance workers at the airport may walk away with some of your stuff, you probably shouldn't be renting there in the first place.

There was a time a certain tenant had a five gallon bucket of used oil in the back of his hangar. Sure enough the plastic in that bucket developed a crack. The oil leaked and spread along the seams of the concrete to at least three other adjoining hangars. It made life a lot easier for the authority to get things cleaned up an fast. Imagine if they had to contact all four tenants to get out there and open up their locks?

At KLVK the city issues locks. For group access they are okay with combo locks, etc., as long as they are in series with the city lock (and a chain). City and fire department have master keys. City conducts periodic inspections (announced ahead of time) for code compliance and FAA ('aviation use') compliance. If you call the city and ask them to re-fuel your airplane in your absence they will open hangar and pull the airplane out far enough that the fuel tanks are outside. This is all spelled out in the lease so it's hard to complain.

I sit on our local Airport board of directors. We have the requiremnt that the airport manager have access to a hanger. The reason is a simple one. Fire. If there is a fire, fuel spill or any number of issues at the airport, it is common sense that that that airport management have the ability to get into your hanger. They may need to put out a fire , stop a fuel spill or at the very least move your aircraft to safety.

Security

I work in the Security System business, there are easy to install security systems with cellular communicators that will send video clips if an alarm is activated and also allow remote video look in. These are completely wireless so the only connection required in your hangar is power for the system. At least you will know if and when someone is entering without your knowledge.

Camera

I installed a wireless camera in my hanger. Works great. It is inferred so no lights need to be on to see everything in the hanger. It will notify when there is motion and starts to record.
I also have an alarm system that notifies me if anyone enters the hanger. With my hanger backing up to the outside of the airport, I never felt good about the plane and all my tools only a piece of sheet metal away from walking away.

Hanger Fire or smolder

At our airport the hanger next to mine had a corvette and other toys inside as well a a C 182. The corvette had a electrical problem of some kind mice ate the wires. Anyway the corvette burned to or smoldered to the ground not enough oxygen to burn just smoldered all night. When I got to the airport I noticed steam comming from obove the door and soot along the top of the door. I touched the side of the metal door and it was hot to the touhch. Called 911 when they arived we had to get the airport manager to get a key for the firemen. When they got inside it had been so hot that it melted the windscreen on the 182 and all tail light lenses on motorcyles and jet skis all the way accross the hanger. Everything inside was black as tar. The corvette was under the wing of the airplane amazing that the avgas did not ignite. Somtimes they need a key.

I am not an attorney so take this with that in mind. But this is opinion based on well over a decade of owning rentals.

Agree with most that the airport management should be allowed a way to enter the hanger for maintenance and emergencies. It is their property and you are a renter. They have the right to maintain their property and should be concerned with what you use the hanger for.

I would like to see the lease terms rewritten with a change like this. I would want to see something that states the reason the management could enter without notice. (Should only be in case of emergency). All other entries to the hanger should be with 24 hours notice, with the renters ability to refuse if unable to be present. This covers scheduled audits of the condition and normal maintenance.

The airport manager now takes on some liability for your possessions inside, but they should have the appropriate insurance to cover losses due to their neglect. (Damage or theft by employee)

That being said, most managers are honest and should be trusted. I would have no problem allowing a manager into my hanger without me there. But, I would want to know. The lease terms are only an issue when there is mistrust issues, or a over ambitious manager.

Now, increasing the rent significantly in a short time. Sounds like a new manager has taken office and is looking to score with the owner or pad his resume. I consider significant anything over 5-8 percent. Try this at my airport and you will have a mass exodus and riot. Both get the manager fired. Propose this with my rentals and I will start looking for a new manager.

It is in your best interest for the airport to be able to enter your hangar at any time.

A few years ago, there was a hangar fire at the airport that I use to keep my airplane at. There was damage done to the aircraft on each side of the hangar fire but the airport was able to remove aircraft where the heat was not as hot. The aircraft in the hangar where the fire occurred was completely destroyed. Other aircraft near by were repairable or undamaged.

Had airport and fire authorities not been able to access hangars, more aircraft (and hangar contents) would have been lost.

Anthony, I am not a lawyer but I have 30 years of dealings with the SC Landlord and Tenants Act. As far as I know this act is for residential rentals only. A hanger would be a commercial rental and they are pretty much whatever two people agree to so long as it does not violate any laws. I do not have any idea about other states.

Back