What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 oil cooler on the baffles?

Mike D

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted the RV-10 oil cooler on the baffles?

I noticed the RV-14 mounted the oil cooler on the baffles and reinforced the baffles with a steel plate.

I like the simplicity of the baffle mount on my -6A

Besides the "cracking baffle" issue, anyone see a problem with this?

RV-10 Oil Cooler on Baffles?

Mine is low on the firewall per the plans and I suggest you do the same if for no other reason is that you may have an unintended consequence.

The oil cooler on my 10 is larger than standard and many use it. Hot temps in TX. This means more weight. You will have to reinforce the baffle significantly to avoid cracking. This may result in less flexibility making removal of spark plugs and compression tests more difficult due to the limited space for tools and inability to loosen the baffles for easier access. This effects the sides of the baffles more so that the aft section. Then there is the heat that is dumped below the cooler and what may be mounted there. Also, is there room without interferreing with the engine mount, mags, and ignition wires?

lot of mass

The RV-10 Oil cooler is a lot of mass to hang off of the baffles. I've seen so many cracked baffles from the smaller oil coolers that I don't recommend mounting them on the baffles at all. If you've ever seen any high speed photography of the cylinder movement during normal operation you would never mount your cooler there.
And while it might look good on the RV-14, keep in mind that the 14 is a new model and there is very little field experience on it yet.

Vic

Good points Vic and Dave.

Although I have never had any cracking in my -6A baffles, and it does make it simple on the -6A, I will mount in the standard location for the -10. After taking a look at the spacing, mounting to the baffles causes some of its own complications with hose and wire routing.

The reason for this exploration was that the stock location has the lower flange of the oil cooler come very close to the motor mount. Also, although unfounded in reality, I just don't like the oil cooler air blowing all over the motor mount.

Back