What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odd Garmin GTX-327 Issue

logansc

Well Known Member
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

1. My Garmin transponder comes on in "Stdby" automatically with the battery switch and will not turn off.
2. All functions appear to work normally once either "On" or "Alt" are selected.
3. Will not go back to "Stdby", however, when selected and will not turn off.

I don't object to it coming on on initial power up so much as I object to it not going to Stdby when commanded (as directed by ATC, during formation flight, etc)

I've been through the book, but we don't see anything that would account for all these symptoms. Anyone seen this before?

Regards,

Lee...

Symptoms

I'm not flying yet, mine does not do what you described, but it does come up inconsistently - in stby or alt, regardless of how it was left at power off (com or master, not via 327 power button), and I may have caught it going from stby to alt on it's own in the stillness of my garage. It was new 8/2009. Rick 90432

Mine works fine, but inconsistently decides whether it will automatically switch from STBY to ALT on takeoff. One day it worked as I lifted off, one day it didn't switch until about 1000'. Odd.

Did you resolve this issue

I realize that this thread is reallllly old, but Lee, did you get your gtx 327 problem figured out? I have the exact same problem and have just put up with it for years. I am going to oshkosh this year, so I kinda need to make the dang thing go back into stand by or turn off manually. I can't power it off with the power button and I can't take it back to standby mode with the stby button. If you or any body else reading this thread solved this issue, please let us know what the fix was.

Thanks!

Install options

Gil's link to the old post, and comment#7 is where it's at I think. There are options when installing these as to how they power up and go from STBY to mode C automatically from GPS serial input. But you should always be able to turn it back off with the OFF button (press and hold) and you should be able to select STBY when you want. I have mine installed so it comes on with the avionics master, and goes from STBY to mode C automatically when leaving the runway, and back to STBY when landed, but I'm sure I can turn it off with the off button or select STBY in flight.
I don't have the install manual at hand, but I would review that and then look at how yours is wired configured.
Good luck
Tim

I was thinking more along the lines of checking the wiring to see if pins 1 and 15 were connected or not per the discussion in the historical thread previously referenced.

I fixed it.

Thank you all for your feedback. Here's what I figured out.

1. I got friend on my home field that also has a 327 to let me put my 327 in their plane. I discoverd that my 327 continued to have. thesame issues. This eliminated a wiring issue.

1.5. I took the 327 back out and put it on my bench to work on it.

2. I took faceplate off and reseated the 8 pin connector and ribbon cable. I was going to clean the buttons, but I coluldnt. get it apart. Thankfully I didnt have to.

I reassembled the face plate and put the. xpnder back in the tray.

It now functions normally. The stby button works and the power off button nw turns off the unit. Im sorry I didnt take any photos, but it was getting pretty darn hot in the hangar today.

Thanks again everybody!

Last edited:
John - Thanks a ton for posting your success. I had been putting up with this exact same issue for about a year. I did exactly what you did with reseating the ribbon cable. I was skeptical that it would work, but it got the transponder working properly again. One day before flying to OSH.

Avionics rule one. Seat the pins. Clean and re-seat later.
Learn your DVM and how to ring out wiring. Check antennas for proper grounding. Seat the pins. Go fly....

Back