What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TOGA for flight director

Acrophil

Anybody figured out if the flight director on the Garmin G3X with GMC305 controller has a Take Off Go Around Function? I must have missed that day in school:)!

Phil

G3X TO/GA Button

Anybody figured out if the flight director on the Garmin G3X with GMC305 controller has a Take Off Go Around Function? I must have missed that day in school:)!

Phil

Hello Phil,

You bet it does. Page C-4 in the Rev. J G3X Installation manual explains how to wire a TO/GA button on your panel (generally near the throttle) to use this feature.

If you have a GTN 6XX/7XX, it gets even better because pushing the TO/GA button on an approach also activates the missed approach on the GTN at the same time that the G3X autopilot is transitioned.

Pushing the TO/GA button on the ground before you takeoff setups up the TO climb attitude on the flight director. Once you are airborne, just push the AP engage and you are all set.

If you get a chance to visit the experimental aviation tent at Oshkosh next week, we can demonstrate this with one of our G3X benches which has a GTN 750 and a TO/GA button.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
TOGA

Steve

Thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for. I do have a GTN650 and the combined capability of this equipment rivals the G1000 in the King Air 300 that I fly. Good stuff.

Phil

TO/GA require engine monitor module GEA24

Having blindly headed down the path, the following may be helpful to others.

While the TO/GA (take off / go around) feature is handy when flying an autopilot coupled approach with the G3X, it has an unconventional pre-requisite.

The feature is only available if you also install the GEA24 engine monitor module.

G3Xperts may have additional information to help clarify the capability.

Having blindly headed down the path, the following may be helpful to others.

While the TO/GA (take off / go around) feature is handy when flying an autopilot coupled approach with the G3X, it has an unconventional pre-requisite.

The feature is only available if you also install the GEA24 engine monitor module.

G3Xperts may have additional information to help clarify the capability.

Count me in on this wish list item, I use an EI engine monitor and have no plans on switching to the GEA24, sure wish they would give us non GEA24 users this feature.

So, early G3X adopters with GSU73 are left out on this one?

Hello Aaron,

Not to worry, both the GEA 24 engine/airframe interface unit and the GSU 73 integrated sensor unit have the same support for discrete inputs. For more information, please see pages 29-141 through 29-142 of the current G3X installation manual.

- Matt

Thanks Matt,

I should have noted my comment is for those with the current G3X package.

When the basic bundle kit ADAHRS was changed from the GSU73 to the GSU25 we lost the discrete inputs. Those inputs are now a separate box.

Back