What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to start???

I'm planning on building an RV-7 starting August 2013, maybe sooner.

I have a partner and we are going to start with the tail kit and see how it goes. If we maintain our interest and complete it in a reasonable time, we'll move forward.

I'm new to the forums and I've tried to learn as much as I can, but I'm not sure where to start my education.

Mainly this,

-how do you learn all the fabricating?

- how do you know if your build quality is good or not?

- where can you learn these techniques?

- where can I learn the meaning/definition of tools and techniques and their functions?

I have a basic understanding of tools and mechanics. I do quite a bit of work on my cars, motorcycle, house, etc. I just want to find a good source for more info.

Has anyone taken the RV building class offered by the EAA?

Are there similar classes out there?

I plan on rejoining EAA and talking to members here in Kansas City, just figured I'd seek advice here too.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon,
Van's preview plans has some good information that can answer some of your questions. I was in your shoes once & had lots of questions. Having a local builder "handy" is very valuable resource. And I'll just tell you; I don't think I could have come as far as I have without this forum. It's fantastic & loaded with answers & opinions. (Don't forget to donate! ;) )
Also, the EAA website has some good construction videos that will be helpful.
Don't get bogged-down in thinking about the enormity of the build. Look at it in small steps & you'll do fine. Enjoy!

Started with the tailkit and instructions from Vans, plans were very well done and walk you through the process step by step. Some of the basics dimple/rivet/countersink etc and other questions that came up were answered by local builders and this forum. KC has lots of local builders/flyers as well as several active EAA chapters.

A great place to start to learn the skills is with EAA Sportair workshops. These are 2 day classes on riveting, electrical, composite, fabric...just about any building technique you may need they have a workshop for it. Ive been to several and love them.

http://www.sportair.com/

I'm planning on building an RV-7 starting August 2013, maybe sooner.

I have a partner and we are going to start with the tail kit and see how it goes. If we maintain our interest and complete it in a reasonable time, we'll move forward.

I'm new to the forums and I've tried to learn as much as I can, but I'm not sure where to start my education.

Mainly this,

-how do you learn all the fabricating?

Jump in with both feet and expect that you are going to make mistakes. When you make them, stop, regroup, and try again. I find that usually when I make a mistake, it's a good time to quit for the day. Come back tomorrow and try again fresh. Most of the fabrication is simple with mastering very basic metal working skills.

- how do you know if your build quality is good or not?

You will know if it looks right or not. It's not rocket science. Also, invite other builders over to review your work. You should also find a mentor in the local EAA chapter to help you get started. Find an EAA Technical Councilor to review your project periodically.

- where can you learn these techniques?

The EAA Sport Air Workshops are a start. There are RV specific classes offered by Synergy Air and Grov Air. I'm sure that there are others.

- where can I learn the meaning/definition of tools and techniques and their functions?

The above workshops are a start. Hang out with other builders in the area. Offer to be a helper on their build.

I have a basic understanding of tools and mechanics. I do quite a bit of work on my cars, motorcycle, house, etc. I just want to find a good source for more info.

Has anyone taken the RV building class offered by the EAA?

I took their fiberglass class.

Are there similar classes out there?

I mentioned two above. Grov Air is in Indy, which is a short drive/flight from you. Troy does a good job. He also has tool sets from the various vendors so you can determine which brand/model tools your prefer. I found this to be the biggest value when I attend his class six years ago.

I plan on rejoining EAA and talking to members here in Kansas City, just figured I'd seek advice here too.

It's nice if you can find other RV builders in the area. It doesn't necessarily need to be the same model, since the construction techniques are very similar on all the current models.

Plan on attending AirVenture. You'll be in information overload. You'll be amazed on how much you can learn in a week.

bob

Thanks for all the info!

I've learned a lot just in these forums. We are planning our trip to Airventure this year. I've been twice before, but not with the interest of a builder.

I like the advise of looking at each step individually. I turned 39 yesterday and with age I've learned to slow down and do a little bit at a time on projects. I feel much less hurried and tend to do better work.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot.

To reinforce what others said ...

...the EAA Sportair Workshops are fantastic. I attended the workshop on basic metal working before I ordered my tailkit. I learned a TON, and had a great time in the process. Thruout my build, there were virtually no metalworking tasks that I had not tried and practiced at the workshop. I also got hugely valuable tips on tools ... the best ones, the worst ones, and when to buy cheap vs top-of-the-line.
And your timing is right .. you could probably still get in the Jan 26, 2013 workshops at OSH!

Every time I hear a discussion like this I think about my little vans tool box I beat up learning to rivet. Then, I think about how how much I have learned about building airplanes. Then, I think about the priceless lessons that this experience has taught me about myself.

Just go for it.

Jon,
Van's preview plans has some good information ...
Read it all three times and then again for good measure.
Study the plans and mark references between the two.
mark all critical steps in the build process on the drawings and instructions...

...the EAA Sportair Workshops are fantastic. I attended the workshop on basic metal working before I ordered my tailkit. I learned a TON, and had a great time in the process. Thruout my build, there were virtually no metalworking tasks that I had not tried and practiced at the workshop. I also got hugely valuable tips on tools ... the best ones, the worst ones, and when to buy cheap vs top-of-the-line.
And your timing is right .. you could probably still get in the Jan 26, 2013 workshops at OSH!

Agreed. I spent a lot of time before I started building trying to research and learn about required skills like riveting. Despite watching a metric ton of videos and reading a lot, riveting still had this sort of "black magic" aura for me.

The Sportair sheetmetal workshop went far beyond just removing the shone of mystery from a lot of the building techniques and procedures; I actually walked out of there really feeling like I could build an airplane. It was a tremendous confidence booster and, IMO, worth every penny.

When I got my tail kit and started working, there were very few surprises either. Most everything I did was something I'd done before in the workshop.

Get the books by Tony Bingilis. A bit dated perhaps, but still loaded with great information.

Read all the old posts and take notes.

Come here to ask questions, post photos and see what others have done and are doing.

It is indeed a daunting task, but you will figure it out as you go. Having an experienced builder around is great, but I got started without any help and somehow got through it all.

Before you know it, you will be coming on here and giving more advice than you are asking questions!

I took the EAA sheet metal class and while that didn't solve all of the problems that I ran across on the tail section it was certainly a good start. I would also recomment buying the practice kits from Van's. I don't think the tool box is that helpful, but the other kit is pretty good. I built a couple of them and I still made some mistakes on the tail section afterwords.

After having built the empennage and pretty far into the wings I still wouldn't have I'm an expert. However, I'm much better than I was and I can easily tell when something isn't right. Sometimes you'll have rivets where you'll have to say to yourself "Is this good enough?". After awhile you'll know if you should redo a rivet. Sometimes you'll think maybe I could make it better, but then you decide you might make it worse so you decide to leave it.

Don't expect to be an expert right out of the gate. This type of building takes skill that most people don't have. It can be learned over time and it can be frustrating at times. Just keep at it and when it seems that things are going from bad to worse walk away and tackle it another time.

I really enjoy the build process. Sometimes I have milestones that I try to reach and I find that I'm pushing too hard. Try to keep in fun and realize if this is your first build its not going to be perfect.

Even thought I'm not building 'my' RV yet, I've helped several guys with theirs. Yep learned some interesting stuff (I HATE PROSEAL). This airframe stuff is alot different that building hose assemblies. I visited several builders, learned some different techniques, and a few new words:eek:
If I could give some advise---take the time to visit some builders. Take the courses that are offered. The is ALOT of help here on VAF.
Tom

Jon it's very good thing you are planning a year ahead. All above are great suggestions. You already are in aviation industry and things will go easy for you. Building RV I mean. I bet $10 you will order you tail kit at AirVenture 2013 :)

Plenty of RV builders/flyers in the KC area. EAA Chapter 91 is in Lee's Summit, Chapter 868 in Olathe, Chapter 200 in Overland Park. Choose a close chapter and attend a meeting.

Dave
RV-6
Phase I in progress.

Back