What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar in PSP area?

jump4way

Well Known Member
I'm going to be commuting in to work several times a month to PSP and am looking for a place to put my RV4 while I'm there. Anyone happen to have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

There are only 3 airports in the area. Palm Springs (KPSP) Bermuda Dunes (KUDD) and Thermal (KTRM) It really depends where in the Valley you will be working. Palm Springs is on the west end, Bermuda Dunes in the middle, and Thermal on the east end. The valley is approximately 30 miles long. KPSP is 25 air miles from KTRM so it really depends on which city exactly will you be working in. Each airport has outside tie downs but hanger space is at a premium. Palm Springs definitely will be at the highest premium as it is mainly commercial and high end private jet. I hope this helps.

Rick

I stopped by Bermuda Dunes a few months back and was shocked that they had a sign up advising hanger availability. That is a rare event there. Hangers are small, with little opportunity to double bunk. Thermal usually has hangers available, but the issue of the probable commute arises as Rick alludes to.

Shelter for your 4

If you absolutely have to shelter down at PSP, use the Atlantic side of the airport. It is less hustle, less traffic, and easier parking. The other side has Signature, but they frown on a lot of things...sometimes it seems like they don't like experimentals...or the working man for that matter. Snowbirds are down here for the season, so spaces are filling up, mostly with Cirrus's, Mooneys, etc.

PSP area hanger

PSP gets severe wind and sand blowing. Sand is the problem. I would not keep a plane at PSP with out a hanger.

Check with the three valley airports for some one that may share hanger space for a small RV aircraft.

Not too bad

It isn't quite that bad, I know a lot of people who keep theirs parked outside down here. Mine was too until hangar space became available and at a reasonable price. There are hundreds of planes parked outside down here. If you want to be super safe, get a Bruce's cover or something of the like. The winds only push ahead of fronts and even then it is rare they keep going for long. The sand here is also very light, kind of like moon dust so damage is next to nothing. There are guys down here with exposed lexan canopies that have been that way for years. If you are parking outside and the commute won't kill you, the Bermuda Dunes Airport (KUDD) is the best. It is privately owned but publicly operated. Since doesn't have to handle the same size aircraft, the tamarisk trees are closer to the runway to help keep sand down. Crosswinds sometimes are tricky, but I have landed in gusts exceeding 30 kts on a crosswind here. Most of us desert flyers are used to it. If you need more info, PM me and I can give you a call for up to date info. I am usually at each of the three airports once a week. Oh, almost forgot, Sundays at KUDD they have the best fried chicken around.

Back