What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Has anyone seen my Russian?

tkatc

Well Known Member
Somebody told him about a beach on the west coast he could land on. He left yesterday and did pretty well. He ALMOST made it to Seattle today but he ran into the cell just south of Seattle moving Northbound. He emailed me for details of the cell and I responded. I told him I thought he should backtrack and then go south when able but I do not know the terrain out there.

He is currently backtracking to try and go south of the cell. He is testing his aviator abilities today!! Can't wait for the report.

Vlad%2527s%2520track.png

If found, DO NOT feed him. He has been fed over 3 times this week already and will eagerly overeat free food!!
:D

Oops fed him this morning. If you talk with him, he could probably just go to Yakima and do the tour thing today and watch the weather for a beach run later this evening

Fed and coffee'd and ready for anything
photobucket-3228-1340479459628.jpg

I posted on his"where to stop" thread earlier

Last edited:
He may end up going south towards Portland and make a run thru the Columbia Gorge. Be careful the mountains can be tough on a flatlander.

Yeah, I am sort of worrying about the mountains but he appears to be IFR (I follow roads) so I am optimistic.

Tell me what you fed him....I am maintaining a strict food chart for him!

....Tell me what you fed him....I am maintaining a strict food chart for him!

Good ol' American breakfast burrito....Eggs, Sausage and cheese wrapped in tortilla. certainly not good for him, but you are in luck, he only ate half. mumbling something about climb rate to get out of here. :D Last I saw of him he as climbing about 1500fpm pointed due west.

So, does whoever draws the short stick have to house and feed this Russian guy? Quite a deal he has worked out!!!

At least we're safe down under. Though how long it'll be before he installs long-range tanks is anyone's guess. :D

I am well. Could not make the beach and canceling Yakima tour. Passes and weather wore me out :D heading back Brian's way for the second half of my burrito. Thanks Tony for cell info.

So close!

I am well. Could not make the beach and canceling Yakima tour. Passes and weather wore me out :D heading back Brian's way for the second half of my burrito. Thanks Tony for cell info.

Darn! I planned to meet you on the beach... at the airport now watching your track and waiting on weather... Hope to see you at Oshkosh. Have a good flight back!

Looks like he tried several routes to cross the Cascades, but decided to fight another day. Bummer after that long trip that he as unable to get the last few miles.

The mountains and associated weather can be a real challenge to all pilots but even more so to flatlanders. He has been in the plane for roughly 24 hrs out of the last 40...I think. Probably physically and mentally exhausted.

Vlad, if you are in my neck of the woods, you have a place to stay and food. How about an elk steak? I can throw in some elk jerkey for the rest of the trip!

Forget the Elk, its got CWD. Swing by here and I'll kill a neighbors cow.
Im still cracking up after reading that! That was pretty good. We have about 1/3 of our cow left, so could do rib eyes if Russians are scardy cats! Oh wait, my mother was part Russian!!!

Vlad's track stopped at

Updated: 2012-06-24 01:43:55z (31m)
Position: 46?6.80' N 111?46.35' W

which is about 35 miles NW of Bozeman. Has anyone heard from him?

I was watching the track also. I went on the deck to watch for him to fly over, but missed him some how. I called my friend, Neil, at the airport, Vlad had just landed around 2000hrs. So I went to see what or if he needed anything.

Turns out he was completely tuckered out. All he wanted was to crash somewhere...anywhere. So Neil had offered his spare room. No food or entertainment for a completely spent Aviator. He got a lesson today in Mountain flying, down drafts, scud running and afternoon Tstorm build ups.

We tucked him and left him alone. Wake up call 0500.

He said at one point he saw the Seattle skyline, but everything was collapsing around him. He retreated before things got....interesting.

Bellevue...

He said at one point he saw the Seattle skyline, but everything was collapsing around him. He retreated before things got....interesting.

From his track it looks like he caught a glimpse of the Bellevue skyline... just a bit short of Seattle on the other side of lake Washington.

Oxygen?

Does the Russian need Oxygen when he flies so high? If so, I can top off his O2 tank in Minneapolis tomorrow @KANE.

OH good!

Your Russian was supposed to stop here in Yakima today for a little tour of Cub Crafters, but the weather looked horrible. I have never seen the sky so black around Yakima in all my 3 months here. ;) Its like we were surrounded by heavy rain, but of course we only got a few sprinkles in town. I clicked on his signature "track me" link and saw a lot of squiggles over there in the mountains. I figured he was having "fun" trying to get through the pass, so I'm glad he's safe!

At least I know now that if he ever shows up here, I shouldn't feed him. :D

Vlad,

If you ever make it back to the Great North Wet, your welcome to our guest room and I can fit your RV in the hangar as well. I'm located at Pierce County Thun Field (KPLU) and I only live a couple minute away. KPLU is home for a lot of RVs and we could show you around the area.

Vlad is really putting some miles on that 9.

tony, I have been tracking Vlad. He is really putting some mile under those wings. I'm jealous.

Katie etal,

You can feed the Russian. Just don't provide tasty food or else he may decide to stay ... at leat until he as exhausted all of the food and local flying destinations.

Evidently Vlad has bagged the trip west, he is over Wyoming and heading 106?.

He won't have any weather problems in the mid west today.

You may have to route over St Louis (STL), there are cells over Cedar Rapids, Iowa that are growing and moving South.

Rockwood is near GWS but he is probably still sleeping. You are an east coast Russian trying to wake up west coast RVators!

LAND

Land at U68 North Big Horn and figure it out. Looks like you are trying to hunt your way thru the mountains.

U68 is just West of you right now.... 9:12 am est

Land at U68 North Big Horn and figure it out. Looks like you are trying to hunt your way thru the mountains.

U68 is just West of you right now.... 9:12 am est

No Gary I like to be lost. I want to see airhead :D

Ok lokks like his cow will live. I am outttahere.

Last edited:
RE: Realty TV

Ok so I have a great career move for our intrepid flying friend. REALITY TV ........."VLAD and his side kick Airhead". Fly the world, meet people, sleep in their guest suites, eat their food, tell jokes, argue with a lot of expletive deletes .......... And rake in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ from sponsors, endorsements, sales from
t-shirts/mugs/pens/Russian men's choir music/videos.......you get the idea. Can I be your promoter / Manager????????!!!!!!!!!:D

VLAD have fun out their and be safe

Last edited:
Vlad, be sure to fly over Devil's Tower there in NE Wyoming on your way back. It's about 160 miles straight east of your current position (9:38 est)

You may have to route over St Louis (STL), there are cells over Cedar Rapids, Iowa that are growing and moving South.

I agree with Tony......radar looks to be painting some potential buildups forming between Cedar Rapids and Lake Michigan area...towards STL seems like the best way to head!:eek:

He has a limited data sub with his iPad. He only uses for emergencies and such since it cuts into his fuel budget.

I was forgetting that in the flat lands, cell service cuts out at about 3000' but when the ground elevation is 5000', that means he can get a signal at almost 8000'.

Bummer about nat making it to see Yukama and the beach.

rest assured, he'll be back. I think the West made a impression on him

One of the greatest things in America is that you can still jump in a little plane and go almost anywhere you want without having to "ask" anyone. That's freedom.

Back