What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another RV-12 headed to paint!

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Huge milestone, after 6 months and a few days my 12 headed to paint. Pulled it down to Jim Russell's aircraft painting located at Chorman Airport, Greenwood Delaware. The two hour trip was funny watching all of the cars pass by at a high rate of speed and then slow down to take pictures on their iPhones.

img_1763.jpg

img_1765.jpg

I will post pictures on the way back. I need to thank the guys at Heritage field for helping, John for the use of his trailer, and especially my son (Stephen) and future daughter-in-law (Sadie) for help with the design.

n25dv-side-view.jpg

Steven put great design for you David! I saw him struggling to cover your super fast QB twelve :D Your plan is executed timely and perfectly do you have any Russian blood in you?

DSC_0004.jpg

Way to go Dave!

I was so psyched to see your plane in person the day the RV-1 visited, and really admired the quality of your work. The scheme looks awesome...can't wait to see it when it's done!

Dave K.

Dave

You should join us one of these Saturdays. We usually go to lunch around 12

Call me and I will let you in the back gate and maybe Vlad will visit - I hear he flys in for food!

Up on the Paint Status - 25dv

A quick update, I had the opportunity to visit Jim Russell to see the progress on my RV12. I was totally blown away! It is beautiful; he is on time and on budget. The quality of the workmanship is amazing. The extra time to prep the fiberglass shows and he has completed the base coat of (BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT) white. The pictures show his masking for the graphics. I will pick up my baby Sunday to head back for the push to an air worthy certificate.

The Yellow tape will be white and then areas masked will be red or blue

See the photo at the top of the thread.
IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1813.JPG

I may have pictures of the red or blue tonight depending on what color he shoots today.

Congrats Dave!

Can't wait to see the finished product! I'm sure you'll have a plane to be super proud of.

Hey Dave, Linny and I stopped in at Jim's today and it's lookin' good. It looks like it will be done this weekend. Looks like Jim is fast becoming the RV12 paint man. I think this is the 6th 12 he has done.

I may have pictures of the red or blue tonight depending on what color he shoots today.

David,
I just noticed in one of your photos that the cooling air inlet opening, for the oil cooler and coolant radiator doesn't look like it hasn't been trimmed properly (this will effect engine coolant and oil temps).

It would be a lot easier to fix now before the painting is finished entirely.
Post a closeup photo of the front of the cowl, and I can tell you for certain.

Good catch Scott.

I have found 3 RV12s without the cooling air inlet trimmed to the correct size. :D

Hey Dave, Linny and I stopped in at Jim's today and it's lookin' good. It looks like it will be done this weekend. Looks like Jim is fast becoming the RV12 paint man. I think this is the 6th 12 he has done.

Yes, Jim Russell is if the RV paint GUY in the area! Besides doing a great job he enjoys doing RVs. Thanks for the latest picture you sent me. It looks like he is making head way and will be on time as you said. Kind of funny I am getting pictures of my plane from other people. (small world)
photo060712a.JPG

David,
I just noticed in one of your photos that the cooling air inlet opening, for the oil cooler and coolant radiator doesn't look like it hasn't been trimmed properly (this will effect engine coolant and oil temps).

It would be a lot easier to fix now before the painting is finished entirely.
Post a closeup photo of the front of the cowl, and I can tell you for certain.

Thanks guys I am aware of the requirements for the air inlet trimmed and will take it back with my spinner once I completed it. It is a three blade and I needed a little more time to get it perfect.

But it was a good catch Geico266 & rvbuilder2002!

Design Work done by Stephen and Sadie is something

Hey Dave I saw that design work your son Stephen and future daughter-in-law Sadie did, it is pretty cool:cool:. I saw where they had applied it to the skin of an RV-12 in a picture of one in acutal flight. Can you post that one. Would be interested in seeing if they could cook one up for me. Have a scheme in mind would be neat to see what it would look like prior to getting it painted.

RV-12 #470 ELSA
Just moved into hangar
DSC_4288.jpg

Last edited:
Update pictures

Great looking design David. Please post more pics as they are available.

Jim wanted a little more time finish up the paint job, so I did not pick up the RV12 this weekend. Most likely mid-week of we don?t have rain. But he sent these pictures over to satisfy my curiosity. Can?t wait to see it in person, but he said everyone who has seen it is blown away.
IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

Back