What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight Report (also keep first flights short)

ericwolf

Well Known Member
On Sunday, May 3 the airplane that I have been building for 5 years, 3 months, and 10 days flew for the first time out of Racine, WI (RAC). I was the test pilot. There were a couple minor issues during the flight, but the airplane flew beautifully and the engine ran great. Here are the details:

It all kind of came together rather quickly. I had a few bugs to work out with my engine that was keeping me from flying an otherwise airworthy aircraft the last 1.5 weeks. On Saturday, I got everything to work the way that it should (lengthy, semi-boring story omitted). During the troubleshooting, I did two taxi tests, making an adjustment on the nose wheel in between.. Once everything was fixed and ready to go, I thought "tomorrow's weather is supposed to be decent, let's see if I can round up my support crew." Fortunately everyone was available and first flight was scheduled for 10:00 AM.

On Sunday morning, I got everything ready and we discussed a flight plan. Ralph Skorupa and his RV-6A volunteered to fly "chase" plane for me. I got my friend Ben and another experienced flier for a ground crew with a hand held radio. The plan was for Ralph in the RV-6A to take off before me and keep an eye on me for anything that could go wrong. We agreed on a 30 minute flight.

We both fired up our aircraft and taxied out to the runway. He took off and I said something to myself to the effect of "well, this is it, let's do it." I taxied on the runway, slowly added full power and eased back on the stick. Before I knew it, I was airborne and climbing very quickly. Then I encountered the first minor problem - my AFS AOA was repeatedly saying "angle, angle, push!" due to the fact that it was not calibrated, making communication with my ground crew and chase plane impossible. I can't tell you how distracting this was. I first thought about reaching under the panel and disconnecting the plug, then I realized that there was a way for me to get it into calibration mode to at least shut it up. After a few attempts, this was successful, and I was back in business. It is always important to fly the airplane during these issues as to not earn a spot on the Darwin awards.

I climbed to 3500-4000 feet and circled the airport. After doing this awhile I calmed down and felt very comfortable with the airplane. I then took my hand off the stick with balanced fuel tanks and centered aileron trim. It didn't have a tendency to roll one way or another - no roll trim!. I then took my feet off the rudder pedals - the ball was exactly centered. Hopefully this remains true when I install the fairings.

After 26 minutes or so, my ground crew informed me that it was probably time to start thinking about descending. I decided to do some slow flight to see how it would feel for landing. After this, I eased the aircraft down to pattern altitude. When I got down to pattern altitude, I entered the landing pattern and reverted back to my training with Mike Seager. I had a bit of a crosswind, but nothing serious. The view that I saw on final approach to the runway is still burned in my mind. I pulled off a good landing and breathed a sign of relief. The expression of my face transitioned from a wide-eyed serious look to a wide-eyed goofy grin (at least I think so).

I taxied back to be met with a much bigger crowd than what I left. The only significant bad news is that we saw some smoke come from the engine cowl, which was oil dripping on the exhaust pipes. It turns out that I had a significant oil leak that leaked oil all over the engine and the entire underside of my airplane.

After removing the prop, I realized that the B-nut for the front governor line connection was loose. Even though the all the oil was in the bottom of the engine, it looks like it was being sucked through a small gap in the RTV for the baffling.

Even though this is very annoying, it is dwarfed by the great flight that I had. Also note that my decision to keep the flight to 30 minutes proved to be a good one as I would have shed much more (valuable) oil if I stayed up there longer.

I learned that:

1) There is a price for having a perfectly trimmed airplane, something must go wrong to maintain balance in the universe.

2) Good plans (like limiting first flight to 30 minutes) are often rewarded with good results (like not loosing all of my engine oil during flight).

3) No matter how hard you try to make sure every darn thing is tightened and safetyed properly, something will come loose and the builder will be both embarrassed and upset at himself.

The airplane flew beautifully and its pilot performed reasonably well. What else can I say? Here are some pictures to say the rest ?

firstflight013.jpg

firstflight014.jpg

Oh yeah, and keep those first flights short!

Eric, what was your first impression of the 200RV prop? And did the chase plane see any of the leaking oil/smoke at all?

Good flight and nice pics!

Eric,

Congrats on building the airplane and flying it. I like the 8 a lot and your machine looks great.

RAC must be home for some C-130's...I see a wing a couple engines behind your taxi-in image. Those airplanes have been operational a long time. I also noticed you like to brew beer, now that fits in any pilots portfolio. :)

Congrats on a successful first flight.

I agree that first flights should be kept fairly short, with a big inspection afterwards, to look for surprises. It might be wise to restrict the second flight duration too, with another big inspection. I like 20 minutes for the first flight, and an hour for the second one. Just in case.

Interesting event with the AOA system aural warnings. An uncalibrated AOA system is useless, and risks being a distraction, so perhaps it should be completely disabled for the initial flights. Only enable it once you have got a few flights under your belt and are ready to dedicate some time to the calibration procedure.

Have to agree

The only audible warning I would want on a first flight is oil pressure and temps.
if something else had gone wrong that voice could have easily overwhelmed you.

Nice job though..Glad you got it back safe!

Frank

Congrats on your first flight! Welcome to the -8 heh flying club. +1 on
Kevin's flight time suggestions. That's the way I did mine. You will
LOVE your -8a! Now the fun starts.....

Well I now have 4 flights on N184EW and 3 hours hobbs time. Everything is great, except that CHT's are around 400 and oil temp is around 235. Hopefully it comes down as the engine breaks in.

Eric, what was your first impression of the 200RV prop? And did the chase plane see any of the leaking oil/smoke at all?

Good flight and nice pics!
Bill - the 200RV prop has been great so far. It is smooth and holds RPM well with no hunting/surging. I have not seen any flinging grease so far. The chase plane did not see any sign of the oil leak, although he wasn't in a position to see it either. He stayed above me the whole time and circled with me, although I was lapping him in the circle even without the fairings installed. The plan was for him to get close if anything came up. I doubt he would have been able to see the oil leak even if he was in tight formation.

Eric,

Congrats on building the airplane and flying it. I like the 8 a lot and your machine looks great.

RAC must be home for some C-130's...I see a wing a couple engines behind your taxi-in image. Those airplanes have been operational a long time. I also noticed you like to brew beer, now that fits in any pilots portfolio. :)
Actually there is only one C-130 at Racine, it belongs to the Kenosha Military Museum, but they let us keep it next to our chapter house. We give tours in it occasionally.

As for the beer brewing - I probably would have been flying 3-6 months earlier if it weren't for brewing, but I love it. Nothing like coming home and having a homebrew after flying in my homebuilt aircraft.

Interesting event with the AOA system aural warnings. An uncalibrated AOA system is useless, and risks being a distraction, so perhaps it should be completely disabled for the initial flights. Only enable it once you have got a few flights under your belt and are ready to dedicate some time to the calibration procedure.
Kevin - you are completely correct and I regret not disabling it prior to first flight. I considered it and almost did, but I convinced myself that it was probably precalibrated with RV settings and would be close (I purchased it from another builder, so I really didn't know). Obviously I was able to shut off the audio and wasn't a big deal in the end.

Congrats on a successful first flight.

I agree that first flights should be kept fairly short, with a big inspection afterwards, to look for surprises. It might be wise to restrict the second flight duration too, with another big inspection. I like 20 minutes for the first flight, and an hour for the second one. Just in case.

I kept the first flight short. Perhaps seven or eight minutes. The second flight was about three hours later. Not pre-planned, but it ended up being a 96 mile each way cross-country flight followed by a friends 9A.

Since this cross-country was mostly over desert and freeway, it was actually a better test area, than over our airport surrounded by subdivisions.

A loose fuel line connector and mag that needed re-adjustment were taken care of months before, after the first engine start. Except for knocking out a few of Van's gauges do to shorting them against the panel frame while installing some new equipment and turning the master switch on..............I've had no problems at all. And that was months after the first flight.

BTW----- when we see reports of first flights requiring no trim; there are differences between planes. Many new models have an offset vertical stab built in as part of the plan. My 6A stab is straight. Therefor, I could count on having to add a rudder trim tab; and I did! :D I also had a heavy right wing, but it was un-noticable on the first short flight because the aileron forces are so light. Turns out, one of my 6A aileron trailing edges was slightly thicker than the other. A light squeeze on the left aileron of about 8" was all that it took.

L.Adamson

Another RV8a Driver

Conradulations on your first flight, nice to see another RV8a in the area. Give me a call I will meet you int the air. Where is your test area?
Dane Sheahen
847-727-0026
N838RV RV8a
Home Base Wuakegan IL. KUGN

;)

Back