What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lubrication on Condition Inspection

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
What is the best way to lubricate the rudder mechanism? Is it just LPS up into the bearing block or ???

What is the “rudder mechanism”? Mental review shows pedals, cables, and attachments to rod end bearings on the rear spar.

Last edited:
FWIW on my 1st condition inspection I used LPS 2 on the cables through bearing blocks and sleeves and also on the rod end bearings.

The part I don't know about is the steel tube in the black plastic blocks; the tube rotates as the pedals are pushed. Seems a job to get oil up in there..... I don't see loosening bolts up there at this point.

The part I don't know about is the steel tube in the black plastic blocks; the tube rotates as the pedals are pushed. Seems a job to get oil up in there..... I don't see loosening bolts up there at this point.

Not familiar with the 14 but assume they use UHMW plastic which is ?self lubricating?.

I used a little white grease for all the UHMW tube blocks on assembly. No need to re-grease unless you take it apart.

Carl

Had to go find the helpful link to an old lubrication thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=163490&page=3

Castrol Brayco 363: MIL-PRF-7870E. Many other brands exist. 7870 lubricant is called out in Piper and many other maintenance manuals as the general use light duty lubricant.

A quart is a lifetime supply I'm thinking and a little syringe delivers it very cleanly.

I like this from my Arrow maintenance manual:
a. Use recommended lubricants. Where general purpose lubricating oil is specified, but unavailable, clean engine oil may be used as a satisfactory substitute. (good to know)

You certainly can lube them, but it isn?t necessary. UHMW is self lubricating by design and adding lubricant does nothing. Probably won?t hurt if it makes you feel better.

Back