What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommend a paint shop

aye29

I'm New Here
I'm about a buy an RV6 that's newly constructed so its still bare aluminum and fiberglass. Anyone have any experience with places in Texas or any nearby states? I've called around and the lowest quote I got for a curving two tone with two stripes is 8k but I don't have any experience with any of the shops.

Glo Custom on Northwest Regional Airport (52F) seems to have a loyal following by a LOT of RV guys.

I'm having my 170 painted in Mena, Arkansas (KMEZ), mainly because that is the same airport where I'm having some extensive airframe work done. There are at least three paint shops on that airport, and I chose Mena Aircraft Painting because I was able to see the quality of their work firsthand, and they also do interiors, which I also need.

GLO Custom

My 7 is in Grady's shop at 52F (GLO Custom) and should be done 1st week of May or so.

I have been nothing but happy, happy, happy with the speed of progress and Grady's help in finalizing my design and paint choices.

OTOH, I had a very unpleasant experience with another Texas shop that I would steer far, far away from. Delays, excuses, no comm...it just went on and on and on...I had decided to use them over GLO at the time due to the backlog at Grady's...but after what I went through, it is worth the wait.

I had to hire an attorney and threaten a lawsuit if my deposit wasn't returned....which it finally was, thank goodness.

If you'd like more details, feel free to sent me a private message.

Rob S.

Ps-welcome to VAF!! :D

+1 for GLO. Not the cheapest and you may have to wait for a slot, but well worth it if you are looking for a quality paint job. They are not your place if all you want is a 100 yard paint job.

When it comes time to update the paint on my 6A I am definitely going to look
into wraps. The cost and ability to create almost any look you want. From
what I understand a good quality wrap is much less weight and expense of a
true paint job.

+1 GLO CUSTOM

We had our 7 painted there a year ago and still excited about. Great people to deal with and the price was better than other shops I had talked with. Flew from South Carolina to Texas to get that done. 3 week turnaround. 5 weeks quicker than one shop I talked to. They disassemble and reassemble as well. Mine was RV#210 that they had painted. They know RVs in and out. Highly recommend them.
2zyd53p.jpg

A photo the day I picked it up.

Call Grady! :D

Looks good from 100 yards and less as you get closer. Same thing as "Looks good from far, but far from good."

Ahh that makes sense, I have building on the brain and was thinking 100 yards of paint or something like that... which is a measurement of paint I've never heard of...

On a side note I will probably go with GLO based on these comments.

Calvin Gillis Low Pass Airport 40k4 near Oklahoma City. Painted my RV6a 10 years ago, very reasonable. Still looks good. Phone numbers 10 years ago: 405-381-3701 405-326-0689. If you would like to talk to me about it, send PM

I've looked into GLO Custom. The last time I talked to them, they next available spot was in early 2017 and by then I'll be moving to the northeast and that's farther than I want to fly to get it painted.

knows a place SE of san antonio

small, not very well known except locally, great experience and quality, lower cost than most. call me at 405-488-5488 and i will get you the details. don o.

I've looked into GLO Custom. The last time I talked to them, they next available spot was in early 2017 and by then I'll be moving to the northeast and that's farther than I want to fly to get it painted.

How flexible are you to a short notice paint slot coming open?

When I went into GLO back in January, like you, the first slot available at that time was late in 2016 ....but I let them know very clearly that if they had any openings sooner to put me in it.

I got called mid-March for a first week of April slot....

Just sayin'....

Rob

Midwest Aircraft Refinishing in Hibbing, Minnesota. They have done a beautiful job on a number of local RVs, including an award wining RV-8 at last years Air Venture. They do a lot of work on Cirrus aircraft, so they can make your fiberglass parts look great. I have a slot for my RV-7A project in December and was quoted what I thought was a reasonable price. Check them out at midwestaircraftrefinishing.com

Frank

Woodlake Aircraft Refinishers in Sandwich, IL ... 40-50sm southwest of Chicago. Small shop, tight quality control, very high standards. They exceeded my every expectation in painting my bird this past winter. Their quoted price for my scheme was 10% higher than GloCustom, but the logistics for me were w-a-y easier, since they're only 75nm from my home airport. From drop-off date to completion was 5 weeks. Ask for Mike.

GLO-Custom is one of the best. That is why Grady is booked up for the next 10 months. He has done work for me, and it has been near perfection.

It is worth the wait. They have customers in 36 states and Canada.

Back