What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying RV-12 to Oshkosh

Tacco

Well Known Member
Anyone ever flown an RV-12 to Oshkosh from the Northwest? Not that I’m going to do it, my butt is not durable enough. I’m learning ForeFlight flight planning and was wondering what route over the mountains you’d take or have taken given the performance of an RV-12 and the LSA altitude restrictions.

I have done it a half dozen times round trip. The height of the mountains is not a problem. The distance between available fuel stops when flying westbound can be depending on headwinds.

Also keep in mind, an LSA doesn't have an altitude restriction, other than service ceiling. A Sport Pilot is always allowed to fly at least 2000 ft AGL, above 10,000 ft. If you look at the MEF numbers on the sectional charts in each quadrant, it's a pretty quick and easy way to give you an idea of where you might want to fly if you want to easily avoid the highest terrain.

Last edited:
I have flown my -12 to OSH from Seattle twice, '17 & '18. Full of tents, bags, pads, table & chairs, and still under gross. Route eastward from Seattle followed I90, then just picked our way along when we got beyond the Rockies. Hoping to go again this year. I think it was 30hrs on the hobbs round trip each time.

Anyone planning a long RV-12 cross country are encouraged to read Bob Bogash's Port Townsend WA to Texas blog. It's not an Oshkosh trip but all the elements are there: Route and alternates planning, iPad/ForeFlight, weather, mountains, deserts, delays (flat tires) and much more. All presented in an informative and entertaining format with many pictures.

Go here and be ready for an adventure: http://www.rbogash.com/RV-12/Texas/Texas-trip.html

Anyone planning a long RV-12 cross country are encouraged to read Bob Bogash's Port Townsend WA to Texas blog. It's not an Oshkosh trip but all the elements are there: Route and alternates planning, iPad/ForeFlight, weather, mountains, deserts, delays (flat tires) and much more. All presented in an informative and entertaining format with many pictures.

Go here and be ready for an adventure: http://www.rbogash.com/RV-12/Texas/Texas-trip.html

This trip report is excellent! Many thanks for posting the link

Tom’s post reminded me of the 90s when I would fly a Yak-52 from Phoenix to OSH with my friend who was an active duty A-10 pilot at the time. We had stuff crammed into every nook and cranny of tha two place cockpit. About ten years ago we decided finding a hotel with a good bar was a better choice than pitching tents and trekking off the grounds in search of brews!😁

Tom’s post reminded me of the 90s when I would fly a Yak-52 from Phoenix to OSH with my friend who was an active duty A-10 pilot at the time. We had stuff crammed into every nook and cranny of tha two place cockpit. About ten years ago we decided finding a hotel with a good bar was a better choice than pitching tents and trekking off the grounds in search of brews!😁

Lol.. I’m doing that mental gymnastics myself for Sun & Fun next month. I’m flying there by myself, so W&B would certainly let me load the camping gear in the plane, but not sure it’s really worth it.. The little devil on my shoulder keeps telling me that I can afford an airplane, so I should be able to swing a hotel room for a few nights. 😂

Joe,

My friend and I now make the PHX-OSH trip in my Cherokee. I could fly first class for what I spend on gas and the RONs on the way, so saving money is never the issue. It’s about the memories along the way at little out of the way airports. On one of our trips in the Yak my friend and I ran into weather and decided to land on a grass strip outside Kingman, KS. A lady with hair curlers came out of her trailer and looked at the radial engine and Soviet Air Force Markings (DOCAFF). She said a slow drawl, “you boys ain’t from around here, are you?” Then she gave us a ride into town where we found a $25/night motel. Like I said, it’s about the memories.

Rich

Joe,

My friend and I now make the PHX-OSH trip in my Cherokee. I could fly first class for what I spend on gas and the RONs on the way, so saving money is never the issue. It’s about the memories along the way at little out of the way airports. On one of our trips in the Yak my friend and I ran into weather and decided to land on a grass strip outside Kingman, KS. A lady with hair curlers came out of her trailer and looked at the radial engine and Soviet Air Force Markings (DOCAFF). She said a slow drawl, “you boys ain’t from around here, are you?” Then she gave us a ride into town where we found a $25/night motel. Like I said, it’s about the memories.

Rich

Good stuff for sure.. A couple of weeks ago I flew the RV12 from Texas, up to and back from Cleveland, OH. and stopped at several very small airports along the way. I had really nice experiences at most. At one very small airport FBO that closed at 5pm, they insisted on leaving the crew van outside for me since I was going to arrive late and needed a way to get to the local motel.

I flew mine from San Antonio, TX to Richland WA, just up the river from the OP. I crossed the Rockies through a pass south of Salt Lake.

I am hoping to fly to Osh in the next couple of years and I would fly up to Spokane and then follow I90 across Montana. I think Van's flies there every year and goes to Lewiston Idaho and then crosses over from there. As Scott said the altitude is really not a problem, You just need to pick a day when the wind is not blowing too bad. That's when it can get dicey over the Rockies.

Back