What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Textured Paint for interior

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I am looking for some textured paint for the fiberglass cabin cover and the interior of the doors, etc of the RV-10 I am building.

I'd like something with a bit of texture to hide my fiberglass sins a little bit. It doesn't look bad at all, but I'm hoping to find something I can use that will save me from having to get it perfect.

I've looked at Zolatone, but I'm not sure I want something that is busy/multicolored. I've used the hammered rustoleum, but am hoping to find something more durable.

I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jason

I used bed liner in a can from Advanced, O Riley, etc. it applies a nice texture. A couple of coats provided nice coverage. It is durable and does not chip, and is paintable. I did the side panels, door thresholds, and glare shield with it.

I used the common Lowes type textured paint, it looks great but the light colors soil really bad. Maybe a clear coat over it would help, not sure.

I'm a big fan of Zolatone. It's very durable. My "Apollo Gray" is not "busy" at all. It IS, however, a pain to spray. You have to spray it twice: One to do the background and again to do the splatters.

You can use regular catalyzed urethane auto paint, applied with a low setting on the air on the gun. That gives you big drops of paint. Don’t thin the paint and you’ll end up with a textured finish

Kyle that sounds like an effect I have been trying to duplicate, do you have any photos of that to share?

It isn't something that photographs easily, but you can see the texture in part of this one. Contrast it with the slick finish on the carbon fiber. FYI, the grey paint has some flattener added.

I'm a big fan of Zolatone. It's very durable. My "Apollo Gray" is not "busy" at all. It IS, however, a pain to spray. You have to spray it twice: One to do the background and again to do the splatters.

Any chance you can post or send pictures of your sprayed interior. I'm interested in that color.

For metal interior pieces I had a lot of them powder coated with hammered finish. Looks great and very durable. I get
Lots of compliments on it. If I had it to do again I would have done a lot more pieces like the tunnel sides and floor boards.

Zolatone interior on Lancair Legacy

Some of us are considering dumping the upholstered look and going to this Zolatone finish from a newly completed Lancair Legacy. We have some samples being tested on another aircraft. I did not do the work but I believe it was clear coated. I thought this might be a helpful shot. You can see texture in the back.
INrjGXN.png
[/IMG]

Camo paint

This is not textured, but the splatter effect breaks up the surface and looks nice. You see this finish on fishing boat interiors where there's lots of blood and guts on the deck...

Base color here is a light grey, with black and white splatters. Shoot the grey normally, let it dry just a little (10 mins) and then splatter with the spray cup loose and the pressure too low. Hold the gun back and work it on 'til it looks good.

Now the kicker... Rustoleum enamel in the qt can from HD over primer. Been super durable and repairable, qt cans are about $8.

Build on

Attachments

• paint.pdf
    6 MB · Views: 258
  • paint1.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 249
I did my rudder tops in zolotone then put clear on, not sure if I will clear the rest of the inside. I figured the clear would add some durability to the rudder pedals.

Sherwin Williams Polane T is designed to be spatter painted. It is a urethane paint. The technique is to apply a normally thinned coat for color coverage, followed immediately by an unthinned coat that spatters. You will need to experiment to get the effect you are after. This is used in commercial airplanes. Google it to get the TDS and MDS sheets.

Back