What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vent clamping?

kbalch

Well Known Member
Having gone through the entire fuselage kit, I returned to 29-22 to complete the air vent installation.

I'm using Van's aluminum vents and, given the weight which they impart to the assembly, I'm at a loss as to how they might be clamped while the RTV sets up. I considered magnets, but haven't been able to locate any suitably strong neodymiums locally.

If anyone can provide a link to a magnet that'll serve, I'd appreciate it. Any other clamping solutions would be great, too. :)

Quick clamps

Some of the common "Quick Clamps" are reversible so they push apart. I used a 2x2 and clamp to hold both sides against the fuselage.

gYIpn85iDBlxifUZ_tFnMqjtS-gevAMbrFYMTIG0M5GDvVQ_SFOJEoUx-EKZjjgNzHwZrTld4YJygaJlnY2HW3IJvn17hUpeVCcO769JdhqLUzJyknLP1LplZ2oR1DmXCJX304drboSSNN-PU6vkgwVuSJYOeKRB2h34P3oqr5svdAUjhYXns4ZEfXszXaxWoqaIby5lj3OW3k6_0XtCyn4Ncr6n5uzKUHABSS7G3pnMIP8ZUl28FYAwkUxf_T0m0n1EDKM20WPrtvglcP57UqKgBr9FiANHCh1jgJjihe2OnEK88RU0x8qPbmClEcf_D2epx6_-FIVcMSmNEdKOn7x9RdK5jH6VbHpbR5gfzuylbZBXgCwgfxJdvF7LKS4Pd6yJxc5lTlYnhUUZjab5ju2qvaZN1Iyzjhn1E2PzAR4OvpKL_7M4eKQEwAzGYbk-V7tgI7MKAz20TWDFmB5ROBlXG0vxXyWG3W79TE8ZiJZU_BVFendrMq_mh-SRgd7-S0vsQ0qt8jKZ0xBEuxGO88wIT6KfnsqerNiB72Us_NuAqu8Yn43RSriwk82cAQmv6R03BneE5dFmuMHQEUuJuGyHIom1tLbIYMaW2nSbRJJADbHBugst3dvXw-RcMGq63PxXch-FGp5t3XKcxf9Ptgs_5Qn9U25ed6COfBuJjrugBRaht7dUjxsyeZUqSRAQCHg0Z0IPOchrEXvcmVQhzFSq=w800

z2x9gNDYP_H1hIdAHZ2xAOZLiVro7UXR02nYte8ApSU1qqqR2DrvYWCkgPxP0-QV_FxpRnB0VVW46LX5-xu48Q6RNLK36J_BCUIkbiV1rqJZL2QVfrnyHMpIeklStrCxZApaiE-Z6qxZG5XI2FP_Ag5yV0nL8r3ZpGepyz5QnxfqTTEnJ0M2DGebnlPzVAxwDF-Ayx-js6gX9hgpLxOuZrHt-zUDzSBxdVgI0yfeBeW75LQ7LIlfKnpS_mCR8apZBbRVJw3mo1NiBdu1frgL8JMKce-fXB74LDyQFkHI293o4VY3dt3q1z0yhLvZrbbE8s2Qnm_ze8M8RSgY_2g-wO-vd1saDOjbWZZfo9Os9Mfpyo4s6NDb0r1WGbLwILe1SHEDFcsoNhTeXwxiTA0S52sjNzCZ27_Qj37Vya1V8H71BkIScmkrAtGDorLROR2EZPXUopG43E1g7IqyquS3dafwYsWvAJLsLXPNcJIrtyUKd0lFYsdRB2V0lb0jJ2ONUf4bYjQH9Gm637JkEntkqtYzPm2q84dugpkY7F9adBAKCG1hkLBnSmwlgXfX9zyVbYwywo80t8fxo2BTmgw2nlJqgaJszeeDF2A0CIujEm6hf5vCYSupwhVdPrJ0t4kw9T37QcsrAKqUbqbcHRG0Lda1A8JzMvWIgCcIlDvjzkSDiJgCZdAWUnozSWN3KegaQVyfeY5yv8h8NZYjheKO3rUE=w800

I am about to go to the hangar and start this right now. I am using rare earth magnets around the vent to hold in place. One inside and one out side, and about 6 or so around the perimeter. I got the idea on here, from another builder. Magnets on a rather large retail site that ships fast. . . starts with an A or something.

If you try this, just be very very careful. If they get away from you they can leave a mark.

I am about to go to the hangar and start this right now. I am using rare earth magnets around the vent to hold in place. One inside and one out side, and about 6 or so around the perimeter. I got the idea on here, from another builder. Magnets on a rather large retail site that ships fast. . . starts with an A or something.

I was looking at just that site, but couldn't decide which ones to order. They all begin to look alike and all have at least a few poor reviews, so whom to believe?

If yours work out (including supporting the installed aluminum vents), by all means please PM me the 'A' link. :)

Some of the common "Quick Clamps" are reversible so they push apart. I used a 2x2 and clamp to hold both sides against the fuselage.

Very clever, indeed. I'm heading out to the garage now to see whether my clamps are reversible.

I drilled a tiny hole in the middle of the naca, and threaded safety wire through it. Kinked on the inside, then used a wood block on the outside. Thread wire through the block, and over the head of a small bolt/ nut as a tensioner.

I just drilled 4 holes for clecoes to hold it while the proseal dried. Filled holes later with epoxy filler. After paint, you can?t find the holes.

I used Gorilla tape on the inside and a simple loop of safety wire through the vent eyeball and around the top sill as a double check to make sure it didn't sag while the Proseal cured.

K&J Magnetics

I bought mine from K&J Magnetics
Thanks to my Mentor Dave for the recommendation.
They are coated with pink plastic. Plenty strong and if you drop one, it's easily found.
Part # ZD84PC-PNK
I bought 30 and wish I had 50. Super useful.
I had a bunch of the uncoated and probably used 20 on each side vent. I also mixed the proseal a little hotter to speed up the set. My shop is cold.
Photo on my blog.

Proseal is not the only way to adhere these, red RTV will work just as fine and it is so sticky that it does not need much to hold it in place.

Thanks, Larry, for posting the part number and source name. Saved me looking it up. They have good service.

I'd been using the non-coated magnets but switched. The non-coated ones are too hard to find when I drop one, and they break easily, too. I'm totally happy with the pink ones, which are easier to grab, too. Plus they are much more rugged - haven't broken any. The uncoated ones broke so darn easily....

whR3Kok.jpg

Dave

Fresh Air Vents

I?m ready to attach the air vent but was wondering what is best used for an adhesive. Based on the photo it would appear pro seal was used. I value your recommendations.

On another point, I have heard it is better to delay installing the vents until the avionics are installed. Is this the case when I am having Stein make the avionics panel? With that said, should I also delay attaching the vents? I just now am at that section on the fuselage.

Thanks.

Hard Drive Magnets

The magnets inside a computer hard drive are incredibly strong. If you have a dead drive around take it apart to salvage the magnets.

Back