What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Horizontal Stab Assembly

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
I've finished the sub-assembly steps (rear spar assembly, front spar assembly, preparing the ribs, drilling the HS) and I'm working though the "Preparing the HS for Assembly" steps (p. 6-3), deburring and dimpling of all the parts. The next series of steps is riveting them back together. My question is about this note on Drawing 3:

gallery_11575_1361_23778.jpg

I can't seem to find where in the instructions where it tells me how to trim the HS rear spar. Did I miss something? I've looked forward to Dwg 78 in the preview plans, but I can't figure out very well where the plans match up to that drawing. Can anyone give me a steer in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
trimming

Rob,

some of the trimming in that area takes place when you set the travel of the elevators. Make sure you don't trim that area until you understand how that works or you might be saying four letter words later.

See the note that tells you not to trim HS-609PP and refers you to DWG 78. Actually, you should look at the part of the plans and manual that address the elevator travel angle. I don't recall now but the down angle is something like 20 to 25 degrees. You will file away the HS-609PP until the elevator horn can move enough to allow that down angle. HS-609PP acts as the elevator stop.

Last edited:
Also remember, some notes on the DWG's are not in your building instructions.
That's why it is very important to read your DWG's as well.
You will see that even more as you are progressing into your wings and the Fues. There will be less and less instructions because Van's assumes that you are more advanced in your knowledge and will not need all the detailed instructions as you had them in your first steps where your made baby-steps.

... You will file away the HS-609PP until the elevator horn can move enough to allow that down angle. HS-609PP acts as the elevator stop.

Typo? The note specifically states "DO NOT REMOVE ANY MATERIAL FROM HS609PP!" I don't have the part numbers handy, but from memory and looking at other builders' build logs, I think they're talkng about the flanges on the 0.032 HS rear spar parts (don't have a part # handy). I left mine hoping it would be apparent when mounting the elevators.

I believe the instructions are referring to the rear spar flange only being trimmed 1". It's not easy to see, but this is depicted in the drawing in the shaded area. The elevator horns will make contact in this area once installed, so clearance needs to be improved. I'm not sure if you need to wait to do this until installation of these parts. It would be easier before the 609PP parts are installed and out of the way. As always...a quick check with Van's is best.

Thanks for the help guys. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a step.

I would trim it before installing the reinforcing bars (609PP). I think the 609PP is 1/8" or 3/16 thick so just trim the flange and stop short of the 609PP. Then deburr your trimming and prime. Make sure you trim the bottom of the spar and not the top.

Your fwd stop is F811D (not the 609PP) see dwg 27A.

Last edited:
Back