What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Beautiful Mountain Day!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A few days ago, the temperature in Houston reached 77 degrees, the humidity crept up, and it was obvious that summer will soon be on the way. Since we own RV?s, we are not subjected to the law that says there isn?t anything to do but sit there and take it, so we escaped to the mountains of Southern California in a defiant act of denial for a few more days of snow and cool temperatures!

Nature does take its due, so while we had clear VFR weather all the way across the great southern desert, we did have to deal with headwinds, and the trip was slower than normal. Two fuel stops and lots of boring time in between, watching the TTG clock down and looking at Geology 101 to pass the hours.

Normal flight time in still air is about seven hours, yesterday it took eight ? but the good news was I got to sleep some of the way since Louise is now front-seat-qual?ed in the Valkyrie, and we can swap legs. We had one moment of excitement when a random bump emptied the side pockets of every thumb drive and snack bar?the camera was found in the foot well, and I have a nice scratch from the ?Airventure 2009? pin on the side of my hat ? yeah?.it was a BIG bump!

But today is grand and glorious here in the mountains, with visibilities in the hundred mile range, snow in the trees above 7,000 or so, and all of California spread out for examination. I launched in late morning to work the kinks out with a little Acro after all that straight and level, the cool mountain air giving back the lift you?d expect to lose at a density altitude of 7,000?. Light winds and no bumps ? does it get much better? Climbing out over the blindingly blue lake, I took a few pictures to remember the day ? ice in the coves, snow in the trees, skiers on the slopes ? and just over the ridge, the drop to the LA basin with green fields giving way to the brown and gray of endless civilization.

I turned my attention to the north, slipping over the ridge and over into the Antelope Valley. Apple Valley was dead ahead, and Rogers Dry Lake off in the distance. There was Rosamond?Wow, this is a great view ? wonder how it looks upside down? Not heard to find out, so a few loops and rolls followed; sand, snow, and sky swapping places in quick and repeated succession. Acro feels?.different?.when played out at altitude and over something other than flat coastal plains. There is a wonderful three-dimensional element that you don?t get when you?re not in the neighborhood of peaks and valleys.

With time to do a little sightseeing, I aimed for Lake Arrowhead and the drop down to San Bernardino. Cresting the ridge and looking out over a remarkably clear day, I could almost convince myself that I saw the expanse of the Pacific Ocean. Almost. I picked out the winding highway that I seem to recall is named ?Rim of the World? ? it?s view of the basin well known for beauty. Imagine seeing the same sight from a thousand feet higher, and nothing to block the view!

With the Valkyrie biting well in the cold clear air, we climbed to the east, pointed at the peak of San Gorgonio which forms the northern pillar of Banning Pass. Up the ridge we climbed, through 12,000? for a peek over into the pass, and Mount San Jacinto beyond, Palm Springs nestled at its feet, the desert beyond. A pylon turn about the peak and I couple of blips on the trim to point me downhill headed me back towards our home away from home at Big Bear City. I had ten miles to lose 5,000?, and as always, was thankful for the braking action of the Hartzel scimitar swinging up front. Pattern altitude and flap speed came together as I drew abeam the field, and I was in the groove for Runway 08. Two chirps and a turn to our hangar ? and I felt my cell phone ringing. It was Louise asking ?how is it up there?? Which was quickly followed by ?Don?t put the Val away for the day ? I think I need to check it out for myself!? Absolutely my dear ? go forth and enjoy! A day like this was made just for flying in the mountains with an RV?.

Paul

Pics

We saw a few clouds over west Texas trying to imitate Sea Gulls along the way as well:
IMG_7568.JPG

The canyon drops from the dam at Big Bear Lake down to the LA Basin:
IMG_7576.JPG

North across Big Bear Lake, the Holcomb Valley, and on to the desert:
IMG_7579.JPG

San Gorgonio and San Jacinto ? the pillars on either side of Banning Pass:
IMG_7582.JPG

From 12,000? to Sea Level ? San Gorgonio to the Pacific:
IMG_7587.JPG

Isn't it nice to escape the boring flatness of the Houston area and go see some actual terrain for a change... you know, mountains and such. I really like flying around SoCal; mountains, desert, coast, islands, it's all right there just a few miles apart. Also, all the little airports seem to have diners, a very good thing. So far we've done breakfast at Santa Paula and Mojave and lunch at Catalina Island... man, now I wanna point the nose west and go see my brother in Palm Springs!

Have you and Louise been out to Santa Catalina yet? Go forth, have a burger and post some pics!! When I was last there with my bro, we munched our burgers on the patio looking out over the water to the NE; in the distance we could see the snow capped peaks out at Big Bear. Nice. Don't forget to go up to the "tower" and pay the landing fee...

Ok Paul and Louise. You have an assignment!

We need picks from Santa Catalina. Come on you can do it. Don't let us down. We need some pics. One of you is PIC out and one back. You should be back by this afternoon. How can you turn that down. :D

Paul & Louise,

Good thing you guys didn't show up Saturday while Mother Nature was blowing out the bad weather. It was snowing up here at 4000ft, and driving through Mojave, I was beginning to wonder what the maximum demonstrated crosswind component for my Honda Accord was.

I think spring must have arrived sometime Saturday evening, as the temps on Sunday were up 20-25 degrees from the day before, and the snow level has begun quickly marching up the north flank of the San Gabriels.

Paul's new job?

Hey, if that whole NASA thing falls through, you could always be a motivational speaker for Van's Aircraft.

Looks like we have a few new calendar shots Doug :)

Awesome!

Catalina

Well heck, to bad I didn't see this yesterday - we were sitting on the deck at Louise's sisters house in the Whittier Hills, looking out across Long Beach to Catalina. Yes, it is extremely clear out here this week! Not sure we'll have time to fly out there this trip, but we'll be back.

Yesterday we flew in to El Monte for a couple of visits down in the basin, and learned th night before that they are painting the runway/taxiways during the day, so we had to be on the ground by 0700, and couldn't leave until after 1700. That made for some beautiful dawn and dusk flying over the area - simply gorgeous as the morning sun caught the peaks of snow-covered Mount Baldy in the morning.

Looks like another nice day around here - will have to find a lunch destination!

Paul

Looks like another nice day around here - will have to find a lunch destination!

Along with the previously mentioned Mojave, Santa Paula and Catalina, there's a Mexican joint in the terminal building at San Diego Montgomery Field (MYF). You know, since you can't get any good TexMex in Houston. And then there's the burger grill at Kern Valley, up in the mountains between Bakersfield and Inyokern... so many choices, so little time.

Also, have you been to Flabob yet down in Riverside? It's a funky, cool little airport with some unbelievable projects tucked in various hangars. They also have a diner, looks interesting but we didn't eat. We stopped in 2 years ago and saw this wooden piece of art being worked on; the wood structure was so beautiful and perfect it seemed a shame to cover it up.
http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-01-29_caudron.asp

Thanks fo rthe suggestions John - We're headed down to San Diego family later this week, so today I'm looking towards the desert region - we'll have to think about Kern!

Lunch Desitinatrion Recommendations

Paul

Paul, I work just off the approach end of runway 22 at the Los Alimitos Naval Air Station down in Cypress. This whole week I've been staring at the sky, incredible flying weather.

With that said, if I could fly today, here are the places I would go, thought I'd offer them up as suggestions.

1) Catalina - as has been said, great place to go for lunch
2) Santa Barbara - the ramp fee is stiff at Signature, $28 unless you buy 7 gallons of fuel, which according to AirNav would run you $38.50 + the $10 or so they throw in as a service charge. But the crew car is a new mustang convertible and they'll let you take it for just about as long as you want. It's only a 10 minute drive down the 101 to State St and the pier. It's a beautiful flight up the coast and SBA is a great airport. That's where I learned to fly.
3) Oceano - About 40 miles north of SBA in Pismo Beach. There is a great Mexican restaurant about a 5 minute walk north of the airport.
4) Mojave - The Voyager Cafe is the best airport cafe I've ever eaten at. There is always something interesting going on in Mojave.
5) San Luis Obispo - Another beautiful flight and a great airport cafe right on the runway.
6) Lone Pine or Bishop - both great mountain towns along the 395. The scenery flying along the eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada is incredible.
7) Furnace Creek - Located at -211 feet below sea level it's the lowest point in North America. The Inn at Furnace Creek is a short walk (about 1.5 miles) away and is incredible. After leaving the lowest point in North America you're only about 100 miles or so east of the highest point in the contiguous 48, Mt. Whitney. Kind of cool to see both within about 30 mins of each other.

Just a handful of places I'd rather be than behind the desk. Are you still going to be in town on Friday? I have the day off and I'm looking for someplace to fly.

Last edited:
But, as an added bonus, if you head for burgers at Kern Valley (L05), you also get to see this:

CAtrip_054.jpg

BD-5 on a stick! BTW, the Chevron sign is outdated; they no longer sell fuel.

CAtrip_048.jpg

The bunch of trees to the right of the runway is a rather nice looking fly-in campground, just a short walk to the river.

Last edited:
All great suggestions gentlemen - I'm keeping them all handy!

We ended up at Santa Paula for lunch - about 100 miles of SPECTACULAR scenery from Big Bear. Went out to the coast on the way home after lunch, so we dipped a wing over the Pacific. Great restaurant, and beautiful scenery all the way. I really liked the contrast between the desert to the north and the snowy mountains underneath as we flew along the San Gabriels.

We'll be down near San Diego - maybe Oceanside/Carlsbad the next couple of days.

Will you be around Friday / Saturday? Working Midnight shift. Get off at 6:30 AM Friday and drive east from LAX to my airplane.

Well, we're pretty busy with family on Friday, and our original intent was to fly home Saturday. But the Wx in Texas looks problematic on Saturday and perfectly boring all the way on Sunday, so we may be back up at the cabin on saturday. It's just a touch early to decide for sure, but we might see who wants to come for lunch on Saturday if we're here.

Paul

Paul & Louise,

If you have time to stop by Mojave, I noticed the White Knight Two out on the ramp today with the Space Ship Two all loaded up. My bottom-of-the-line phone camera didn't get a publishable photo.:mad: Also, if you don't leave for Texas Saturday, it's Mojave's monthly Plane Crazy Day. There's ALWAYS some interesting stuff on display. In case you're trekkies, Michael Dorn will be there this month.

Back