What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

piano pin

burgundyja

Well Known Member
i have a chunk of piano pin sticking out under my fus. it is after the cooling air ramp. have you seen this? what does it do?

It holds the skin on! Don't remove it:D You can find in on the drawings.

You'll need to secure it as well so it doesn't come out!:(

It will eventually be covered by the intersection fairing. I remember that at one time, I was going to pull it out just to go exploring under there, but never did.....(us Quickbuilders know so little about what is under the forward floor....)

I believe that Van originally was going to make the exit ramp adjustable, and i figure it was going to float on that hinge. Pure speculation, unless someone can back that up with fact.

Paul

Don't know why Van went with that cheezy-a** hinge, I subbed with a .040 angle bent to the same angle as the ramp and it was a pc.-of-cake to install.

If your wondering where I got the .040 angle; I received 2sies of the 815C's and Van's didn't want them back. I was gonna use one for between the F808 and F809 bulkheads but then thought better of it.:rolleyes:

Keep moving, nothing to see here...

It will eventually be covered by the intersection fairing. I remember that at one time, I was going to pull it out just to go exploring under there, but never did.....Paul

You didn't miss much, I looked, said "ho hum" and slid the pin back in.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

FWIW, the hinge has been eliminated on the new -1, matched hole kits. My ramp still oil cans, but hopefully with my downturned exhaust tips, it won't crack.

Guy

Back