What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wood Prop for RV-8

RV8_Cat1

Interested in purchasing this item: For Sale -68x74 Sterba wood prop. 7/16" bolt holes fits most Lycoming O-320's.
I was wondering if this would be a good setup for my RV8. I'm installing an IO320 in the plane. Plus will be mounting the battery on the firewall. Trying to keep things light and simple. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris

Sounds about right for a 160hp 320 on an RV. Several years ago a buddy of mine had a 68x72 Sterba prop on a 150hp O-320 RV-6 and it ran pretty well on that plane. Probably not nearly as fast as a Catto prop, but certainly costs a lot less money. Sterba props seem to be a pretty good value for the purchase price. Just don't fly them in rain at higher rpms since they only have epoxy leading edges and not metal.

My personal preference for a FP prop on an RV is the Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop since you can fine tune the pitch for the airframe and engine but they are expensive. They have metal leading edges and run "turbine smooth".

Last edited:
While it might work fine on your -8, you will be better off with a Catto. The Catto will climb and cruise faster and with the nickel leading edges you won't have to worry about erosion when flying in the rain.

The downside is price. You can buy and fly the Sterba for much less than a new Catto and replace it later, if you want.

Last edited:
Wooden dentures didn't last long either...

I know what you're thinking: "I'm building a basic VFR RV-8 so I won't be flying in the weather, so why worry about the effect of rain on my wooden prop?"

I fly through the rain and most of the time that is in VFR conditions! With a wooden prop you will need to fly quite slow in any kind of precipitation, and that's not what you built an RV for. Wooden props belong on sloooooow airplanes.

My $0.02, but it's your airplane. :rolleyes:

Wooden props belong on sloooooow airplanes.

Words of wisdom there.

I used to have a wood prop on mine, but after having to fly home in the rain one day, even slow and at minimal RPM, it still ate the paint off the leading edges and that was actually a blessing since I removed that prop to touch up the paint and found a nasty crack in it hiding behind the spinner bulkhead.... this not long after I'd flown across the Rockies with it, and had it shucked a blade over that inhospitable terrain I'd probably be dead.

I have a Ted Hendrickson wood prop on my T-18 my son has one on his RV-4, Ted made great props. My T-18 buddies like Aymar Demuth and other older props. My wife's RV-4 has a Sensenich composite adjustable 2 blade that Neal and I like a lot. There are many good props besides CATTO which I also endorse, having bought a 2 blade, and now a 3 blade.
If the price is right, go for it. Just make sure it's in good shape. If it needs to be serviced (fits loose on drive lugs, has a crack, chips in leading edge or other damage) pass it up. It may have potential, but not for a noob.
If you get an older wood prop, you should be willing to work on it. Don't worry, it's not hard. Get a good book or two, or Google wood airplane propellers. Soon you will be touching up worn varnish and re torquing prop bolts. Eventually you will be dismounting the prop to balance it, replace a damaged bit of wood or refinish it etc.
It depends on you.
I found 2100 RPM OK for flying into rain if the varnish has dried a few days. cruise speed is still over 130. But if you don't slow down and DO loose some varnish, it's often a small patch just inboard of the painted tip. Lightly sand it and re apply varnish. if the prop is a tad shaky, add a bit more varnish to the light blade ;)

Back