What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Complacency

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Yesterday I was going to fly along side Paul for a trip over his new home site.
Was not to happen, I had be come complacent about the canopy locking mechanism in my -4 from taxi to run-up. During run-up the canopy lifted up and over( Dammit) and stopped on the wing destroying the center support of the canopy frame :( here are some pic's
335ei53.jpg
[/IMG]
2j0ibkj.jpg
[/IMG]
2vj60js.jpg
ttp://[/IMG]
2urvvnq.jpg
[/IMG]
307w9qx.jpg
[/IMG]

I should be in the air soon , Thank All
Remember we are Aviators and complacency can ruin your canopy or more

I will taxi with my hand holding the canopy open but I will not start or do a run-up with it in any position but closed and latched. A friend hates being hot and has bounced his -4 canopy off the wing twice trying to get airflow in. It's amazing how tough they really are.

Good thing you knew how to fix it fast.

I had just finished my run-up and was looking over to Dayton (the Flight Lead) to see if he was ready when I saw the canopy go all the way over. I really cringed because if that had been on a -3, it probably would have bent the longeron (the -3 doesn't have the same structure as the -4).

Fortunately, Dayton is an experienced and talented builder, and if it hadn't been that he had to wait for some paint thinner last night, we'd have installed the repaired canopy today.

We all forget stuff, especially when it is a short flight over home turf. It's a good lesson that Dayton is sharing with us all.

That was fast Dayton! Just like your plane.

Good to see that you are back in the air but bummer you missed that flight with Paul.

Well not quite in the air I tryed to install the canopy and the hinge has been tweaked so I will spend quite a bit of time tomorrow to see if I can manipulate it back into shape:confused:
I believe I can get it done tomorrow I need to fly into Portland on Monday so I have a little bit of pressure make it happen

Well not quite in the air I tryed to install the canopy and the hinge has been tweaked so I will spend quite a bit of time tomorrow to see if I can manipulate it back into shape:confused:
I believe I can get it done tomorrow I need to fly into Portland on Monday so I have a little bit of pressure make it happen

Sorry to here about that Dayton. You know coming to Portland and not saying hi might get you in serious trouble. :)

No Stinking Canopy

Who needs a Canopy

15x08l0.jpg
[/IMG]

I flew this morning and all went great.

2vju7px.jpg
[/IMG]

Remember to finish your check list and do not hurry it could cost a lot more then a simple repair

Probably should change the pivot point to be somewhere close to the left where whatever it is you're using to hold the canopy open is stronger, so that if the wind gets a hold of the canopy at least there's a better chance of the mechanism or the frame not failing. I did this on my Rocket and have a nice arm that folds up completely out of the way when closed. It took a lot of head scratching and prototypes to get right. Have seen the same thing happen to a small number of friends with -4's and Rockets. One thing I never do is close a canopy without locking it...

Last edited:
Towbars....

In that same vain, I'll confess to an example of "complacency / distraction". Yesterday at Flathead Lake, MT; my -9A was inside a friends hanger and we had put the C-150 normally inside the hanger, outside during my visit.

When I went to leave yesterday, inside the hanger I did the preflight then pulled my plane out onto the ramp. Then went to help him put the C-150 back inside the hanger. Packed my bags in the airplane then got inside to strap in. As my friend started to drive off, he yelled to me "TOWBAR". OMG!!! In the distraction of helping him, I didn't pull the towbar off when I was done with it!!

No doubt in my mind, he saved my life. In 45 yrs of flying, I've never done that, and it happened because I allowed myself to get distracted and didn't follow through in completing the task when using the towbar.

Beware... it's the little things that can kill you!!

Appreciated your post on the tow bar. We rent a T hanger @ KMWC. Years ago someone started a 172 outside the hanger with the tow bar attached. This time the bar lifted and caught the prop. The bar was thrown toward and completely through our hanger door, leaving a big and rough rent in the corrugated metal. Then it embedded in the rear wall of the hanger. Thank God no one was in its path!

Back