What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing installation Bolts (non close tolerance)

bkthomps

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a set of bolts they fabricated or used that they no longer need? Trying to avoid the hassle of making my own and lathing them down but I really want to get these done!

It's way easy ...

Like Pierre said, grind off the threads on a bench grinder, and then chuck the bolts in a drill press and use emery cloth to give them a perfect (not too loose, not too tight) fit in the bolt holes.

I left the treads alone and used some extra long bolts. Maybe I just got lucky but the wings went on (twice) really easy. No banging on the bolts just pushed em in with my fingers. I used a size smaller bolt wrapped in electrical tape to align the 1st and then 2nd holes, after that all the other holes were aligned

I went a slightly different route.

I bought the appropriate diameter mild steel rod (from Menards, actually), cut it into appropriate lengths, then tapered one end slightly with the scotchbrite wheel. It was cheaper, quicker, and easier than grinding threads off bolts.

Back