What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posted the dehydrator sage, while I’m on canopies.
When the canopy is closed there is a 1/2” gap to the outside on the rear 1/4 of the canopy. It is cold, as reported from the lady in the back at altitude and also noisy. Friends RV8 has the same gap.
Anyone find the fix to seal this?

Velcro

I recently addressed with the fuzzy side of self adhering Velcro. Smooth and filled perfectly. Amazing the difference and not seen when closed and u may find in colors to sorta match with a little effort. White and black easy to find.

Can you post a picture of the problem area? Is the gap on the canopy or the skirt?

I had about a 1/2" gap in my skirt that my TC helped me solve by reforming the fiberglass.

RV-3 slider skirt gap seal

My Rv-3 had a gap all the way around of various widths from 1/8" to 1/2" I used adhesive backed felt tape in various thickness under the skirt to create a tapered seal. I found all different sizes and densities on Ebay (Zoro)

What has worked for me....
Purchase adhesive backed weather stripping shaped, in the cross section, like a hollow letter D. Adhesive is on the flat side. Lowes and HD has it and it comes double wide attached length ways so you can strip them apart. It is about 3/8 to 1/2" tall.
I slice it lengthwise along where the curved side meets the flat side of the D.
Attach it to the inside of the skirt so that the slit side is facing down, where the air is coming in.
I attach it at the point where it will touch the fuselage but not push out the skirt, so this is typically about an inch above the edge of the skirt. On the 8, as you near the curve to the horizontal straight edge by the back seat you need to widen it up from the edge.
The theory is that the incoming rush of air will spread out the weather stripping, where it has been split, and seal against the fuselage in flight.
I have used this on several planes and it has really worked well. Additionally, you cant see it when the canopy is closed and is net very visible even when open.
I also put a 1/2" wide line of felt along the inside edge for abrasion purposes.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back