What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog is my copilot

jimevison

Has anyone managed to fly with a large dog in a 7a or 9a? By large, I mean 50 lbs or more. When I make even short day trips, I need to find care for my dog, it would make things so much easier if I could take her along for the ride. I have a slider. It seems the only way to insert a dog into a crate in the cargo area would be to remove the passenger seat. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Any PilotsnPaws experts?

We fly with our dog in the baggage area of the 9A, but she does not weigh that much. Can't get a dog crate back there.... but maybe think about a harness that your dog wears, then clip it to a hard point with a carabiner. Your dog will probably just go to sleep back there anyway. Dog crate training is good, but it will surprise you the tricks old dogs will learn... contrary to popular belief.

My dog Dixie is only 22 lbs, but she's very comfortable in her half crate mounted in the the rear baggage area. We just lay it on top of the other baggage.
DixieFlys.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup!

My Aussie Shep goes with me many places and he is 59 lbs.

Yes, I do have to remove the passenger seat when he flies with me, and it is a hassle. However, he is worth it!

:) CJ

Dog Crate Fits My 6A

We fly with our dog in the baggage area of the 9A, but she does not weigh that much. Can't get a dog crate back there.... but maybe think about a harness that your dog wears, then clip it to a hard point with a carabiner. Your dog will probably just go to sleep back there anyway. Dog crate training is good, but it will surprise you the tricks old dogs will learn... contrary to popular belief.

I routinely fly rescue missions for Pilots N Paws and I found a strong canvas pop up carrier that fits perfectly in a side-by-side RV. It folds up to about the size of a large briefcase. You set it behind the seats, unfold it, reach inside the zippered top and pop the frame into the locked position. In place it is 26" by 18" by 21" high and fits just under the shoulder harness cables. I paid around $55 on Amazon with free shipping.

Dog crate

I routinely fly rescue missions for Pilots N Paws and I found a strong canvas pop up carrier that fits perfectly in a side-by-side RV. It folds up to about the size of a large briefcase. You set it behind the seats, unfold it, reach inside the zippered top and pop the frame into the locked position. In place it is 26" by 18" by 21" high and fits just under the shoulder harness cables. I paid around $55 on Amazon with free shipping.

Thanks for the advice, this seems to fit your description,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...g carrier&qid=1445114373&ref_=sr_1_17&sr=8-17

Back