What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Location of Alt Air and Oil Shutter Controls

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - quick question regarding the location of the controls for the alt air (meaning the hole that bypasses the filter) and Oil shutter. These are both items that I don't imagine messing with often at all. In order to keep my panel clean, I am thinking about mounting them on the sub panel, (8" or so behind the main panel). I'm also planning on locating the Alt air control knob on the left side, with the Oil shutter control near the middle so that in a hurry I won't grab the wrong one.

I am figuring that since neither one of these controls are mandated, the I should not run into any issues when my plane is inspected.

Please correct me if I am wrong, or if there is a compelling reason why I should mount either (or both) of these controls on the main panel.

Thanks,
Jason

I don't think I'd do this. I want controls, especially controls that are needed for emergency use, where I can get to them easily.

I'm putting mine to the left of the throttle quadrant (i.e., engine controls of all types in proximity to each other), and procured some very nice ones from McFarlane with red (Alt Air) and Blue (Oil Cooler) anodized, engraved push-to-unlock knobs.

Here is where I put mine. (Down near my left knee) Oil cooler on the top and FAB bypass on the bottom. I made a small bracket that attaches to the rudder pedal block bolts to pull the cables to the side for good clearance of the pedals. Both easy to reach, but out of the way.

Note: The yellow arrow in the picture has nothing to do with anything.

knobs.jpg

red (Alt Air) and Blue (Oil Cooler) anodized, engraved push-to-unlock knobs.

I like that idea, but I think I'd make the oil cooler knob RED and the alternate air knob BLUE, since oil is sort of "red" and air is sort of "blue." :) Maybe it's just me.

Back