What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bushings and Washers

rwh

I'm New Here
How in the world do you get the second washer or bushing on the rod end bearings in tight spaces? Hours wasted trying to get the flight controls in. Tried all kinds of things, but none are helping.

Rob

Washer Wrench Set...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.38.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.38.53 PM.png
    366.7 KB · Views: 355
I've used scotchtape. You can sometimes use it on the washer while not covering up the hole. Leave enough so once the bolt is through you pull off the tape.

Special tools might work better, but I don't have those yet. :D

Cheap way!

I fold over a piece of blue painters tape on the end of a popsicle stick. Hold the washer between the layers of tape. I can make a few thousand of these for the price of the $41.50 tools. Any size works.

Washer tool.jpg

If you want it NOW . . . .

Washer Wrench Set...

I did not want to wait for an order and only needed the -3 washer size, so I made one of these tools with scrap .032 sheet. Drilled the large hole with a step drill, filed the inside for a 3 point contact, and slit with a band saw (not required) I have used it many, many times. Very handy.

Oh - and super glue too, just be sure to clamp the washers so you have metal to metal in the joint.

You are as cheap as me

I fold over a piece of blue painters tape on the end of a popsicle stick. Hold the washer between the layers of tape. I can make a few thousand of these for the price of the $41.50 tools. Any size works.

View attachment 18453

Not only are you as cheap as me, but you beat me to the post. :D Blue painter's tape works wonders.

Don’t need to purchase any tools. Run a piece of fishing line or dental floss through all parts and pull them into place. Then insert bolt or drift pin and pull out the floss.

How in the world do you get the second washer or bushing on the rod end bearings in tight spaces? Hours wasted trying to get the flight controls in. Tried all kinds of things, but none are helping.

Haha! Phoenix says "I feel your pain" as I generally task her and her tiny hands to get into those tight spots ... we didn't know about those awesome washer wrenches until after we were done with the build, but have them now ... confirming the superglue trick works really well, just a tiny drop to tack them together does great.

I have those washer wrenches. Love them. I also found them useful to sneak the nuts in to the bolts that attach the wings to the fuselage. I have an “A” model.

Before purchasing the washer wrenches I made them from popsicle sticks.

Just cut a square notch on the end. Cheap and easy.

George

Back