What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and balance

I recently had my airplane simply re-weighed. The weights OTOH were pretty far off compared to 2011 when it first flew and listed in the POH. I combined the exercise with the fact that I needed to replace the tank and sump drains, some of which had the drips, and drained all of the fuel. So I was able to re-establish a new "empty weight" as well as then re-calibrating my fuel level sensors and fuel computer by adding fuel back two gallons at a time. Kind of a nuisance adding two gallons of fuel then climbing in and out of the cockpit 18 times, but illuminating.

Once I had the weights, I assumed that the moment arms were all the same as the POH and just entered that data into the W/B portion of Foreflight...works great. Also found several airplane-specific Excel spreadsheets around the internet and re-formatted the best of them with my own data. I put it into my Dropbox and can now access the W/B data from whatever Excel-containing device I happen to have convenient.

Last edited:
Back