What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KEUL ID to KOZW Howell, MI route suggestions

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
My plane is just finishing up phase 1 in Caldwell Idaho and I will be moving it to Michigan next month. I am looking for suggestions of a good route with fun stuff to see.

I cant imagine legs of more than 2.5 to 3 hours. I know I want to fly over Yellowstone area and Jackson Hole to see the Tetons but the rest of the way is open. I dont think I want to fly over Lake Michigan so probably over OSH, follow the big bridge and then down to Howell.

I am pretty excited. I moved to MI just before I was finished building so it will be my first flight in my plane!

Thanks

Stop Recos

MI is lame. Keep the RV in Idaho ;).

Driggs is a great stop. Can't beat the scenery on a clear day. So is West Yellowstone. You can camp right at the airport. After that, just catch the jetstream and get to MI as fast as you can, hahaha... Though, I hear the badlands are cool (haven't been myself).

Welcome to KOZW

Rockwood,

Welcome to KOZW! I live about 10 minutes from the airport (SE) and will start building a -10 when my first parts show up (hopefully Sept). I agree Idaho is beautiful, but Michigan is also a great place to fly with lots of lakes (Great and small)!

KCOD (Cody, WY) is a nice town which would be about a 2-2.5 hr first leg. More likely 3 though as you will want to do some sight seeing around Yellowstone. Cody is just off the East entrance to it.

If you decide on Cody and want to stay/explore the town let me know, I have my own personal "courtesy car" (99' ford ranger) staged there that I would certainly give you the keys to free of charge! :) Cody has the nearest Walmart to me (and a nice coffee shop in the airport) so my own car there just made sense. haha

KRED is also an awesome place to fly in to. There is a nice walking trail right into town.

Last edited:
MI is lame. Keep the RV in Idaho ;).

Driggs is a great stop. Can't beat the scenery on a clear day. So is West Yellowstone. You can camp right at the airport. After that, just catch the jetstream and get to MI as fast as you can, hahaha... Though, I hear the badlands are cool (haven't been myself).

Hey Chris. You should contact Chuck and go for a flight. They are past 30 closing in on the rest pretty quickly. I am about to get the big grin!

KCOD (Cody, WY) is a nice town which would be about a 2-2.5 hr first leg. More likely 3 though as you will want to do some sight seeing around Yellowstone. Cody is just off the East entrance to it.

If you decide on Cody and want to stay/explore the town let me know, I have a my own personal "courtesy car" (99' ford ranger) staged there that I would certainly give you the keys to free of charge! :) Cody has the nearest Walmart to me (and a nice coffee shop in the airport) so my own car there just made sense. haha

KRED is also an awesome place to fly in to. There is a nice walking trail right into town.

Thanks JC! Cody is a really cool place. That whole part of the country is hard to believe. I really miss the mountains. We lived in Snowmass CO for many years before moving to Boise area. As a kid, I spent a LOT of time skiing Jackson Hole and Targhee and went to college in Rexburg. MI is ok, very green and pretty lakes but the ski areas are not really waht you would consider great. Ha!

Rockwood,

Welcome to KOZW! I live about 10 minutes from the airport (SE) and will start building a -10 when my first parts show up (hopefully Sept). I agree Idaho is beautiful, but Michigan is also a great place to fly with lots of lakes (Great and small)!

I have a friend there that will let me store my plane there until I find a permanent place. He has an L-39 so it may be a little intimating sharing the hangar!!

Route

Hi,

I flew this route back on April 20-21. The weather was a little hit and miss in Wyoming and Illinois but overall a great trip. Overnight in Cheyenne, WY was ok except for a little snow in the morning. About 6.5 hours flight time from Cheyenne to Howell. Coming out of KRKS we had a great tail wind and hit 217k...lots of fun!

Welcome to the airport!

Attachments

• 20210422_083438.jpg
    20210422_083438.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 133
Hi,

I flew this route back on April 20-21. The weather was a little hit and miss in Wyoming and Illinois but overall a great trip. Overnight in Cheyenne, WY was ok except for a little snow in the morning. About 6.5 hours flight time from Cheyenne to Howell. Coming out of KRKS we had a great tail wind and hit 217k...lots of fun!

Welcome to the airport!

Thanks Gene. I think you may have a better route going below the lake. I still want to see Jackson Hole and Yellowstone but them may head south below Chicago.

Just Flew A Route From Idaho East

Hi Rocky,

Tetons, Yellowstone, W43 Hulett, WY, KCUT Custer County.

Near W43 is the Devil's Tower and KCUT is MT Rushmore (5-min flight).

Used KVTN for fuel on my recent trip. KVTN is Valentine, Nebraska.

Hopefully the heat will have gone away for your flights.

Cody, WY has an interesting gun museum.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I have camped at West Yellowstone airport a few times. Very nice. There's a rack of mountain bikes to ride the 1 mile into town. Call ahead to the FBO to inquire about the camp showers availability. They were n/a last summer.
Jackson is a cool town. Quaint, picturesque and touristy. Be advised, there is only one FBO one field and you'll pay for the air you breathe.

Thanks Mike. Im going to get up to you part of the world one of these days!

You've got a place to stay!

Planning a trip again in two years for visiting friends, plan to stop in and say hi. This year was a plan with no deviations/super focus to get to KFFA.

A co worker just moved to Rainy Lake, MN. Leaving there your area is next...

Happy to hear you'll soon be flying in your RV. Congratulations!!!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Cross countrys - fly over HWY 80?

I have never planned a long cross country and looking for suggestions. I will be bringing my plane from KEUL - Idaho to KOZW - Howell Michigan.

This is a first go for a flight route not considering stops or fuel. Just general direction.

My question - Is there an advantage picking up HWY 80 in Wyoming and following it most of the way and turning north past Chicago?
Advantages - close to airports, help if needed, and pretty hard to get lost.
Disadvantages - more airplanes in the sky and fewer rural places to put it down in an emergency.

After looking on skyvector and garmin pilot, there are airports everywhere across this country. For a free program, skyvector is a great resource. I just purchased garmin pilot and looking forward to learning it.

Thanks for the help. I will not be traveling until mid August so I have time to work on it.

Attachments

• NAV LOG 1.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 117
I have never planned a long cross country and looking for suggestions. I will be bringing my plane from KEUL - Idaho to KOZW - Howell Michigan.

This is a first go for a flight route not considering stops or fuel. Just general direction.

My question - Is there an advantage picking up HWY 80 in Wyoming and following it most of the way and turning north past Chicago?
Advantages - close to airports, help if needed, and pretty hard to get lost.
Disadvantages - more airplanes in the sky and fewer rural places to put it down in an emergency.

After looking on skyvector and garmin pilot, there are airports everywhere across this country. For a free program, skyvector is a great resource. I just purchased garmin pilot and looking forward to learning it.

Thanks for the help. I will not be traveling until mid August so I have time to work on it.

The I-80 route will almost guaranteed have a tailwind (sometimes a good one) in Wyoming. Do you have foreflight? If so look up fuel prices. I would replace KBFF with KTOR and save more than $1 per gallon.

Back