What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PCU5000-X Prop Control

SeanB

Well Known Member
Because I am such a slow builder, the PCU5000-X I purchased in a previous group buy 9/2015 is getting closer to the long-term storage deadline as published (5 years). I'm ready to install it on the plane, but may send it in for scheduled service first.

Anyone have a ballpark number what APS charges to service one of these? Also, the gasket has a screen that is "bowed" out/in. Which direction should this be installed?

Thanks.

Last edited:
We'll find an answer

I don't know the answers to these questions but I forwarded this thread to my contact at APS. They're closed down until April 10 as far as I know, so I'm not sure if they'll be able to answer right away, but I'll post here again with whatever I find out!

Because I am such a slow builder, the PCU5000-X I purchased in a previous group buy 9/2015 is getting closer to the long-term storage deadline as published (5 years). I'm ready to install it on the plane, but may send it in for scheduled service first.

Anyone have a ballpark number what APS charges to service one of these? Also, the gasket has a screen that is "bowed" out/in. Which direction should this be installed?

Thanks.

Sean, that governor is a relabeled Jihostroj. Whirlwind Propellers in Ohio may be able to help on any needed maintenance as they are one of the authorized Jihostroj dealers. My guess is it won't need it. As for that gasket, the bowed out portion fits into curved area on the mount. If you look at the governor pad on your engine, it's flat so the only way it will work is with the curved part inside the governor

Official documentation

Just a quick update here with some official documentation straight from the source:

SERVICE LETTER AT2005-1

September 19, 2005
TO: Owners, Operators and Aero Technologies Service Centers
SUBJECT: Time Between Overhaul (TBO) Specifications
MODEL AFFECTED: All PCU5000 and PCU5000-X
SERVICE MANUAL AFFECTED: Maintenance / Overhaul Manual, AT1431299
This service information is to be added to the appropriate Aero Technologies Maintenance
Manual until the next manual revision is released.
PROPELLER CONTROL UNIT OVERHAUL AND STORAGE REQUIREMENTS
1) Overhaul Requirements ?
a) Seven calendar years or TBO of the engine on which it is installed, not to exceed 2400 hours whichever
comes first, after entering service (engine installation and operation).

2) Long Term Storage of Propeller Control Units ? The following is applicable to new and overhauled Propeller
Control Units prior to entering service (engine installation and operation):
a). Storage must be in a clean dry environment, preferably above ground level, in the original shipping
carton to minimize exposure to dirt and moisture.
b). If storage period exceeds two (2) years, before entering service perform the following inspection:
-). Inspect externally for damage and corrosion. If greater than five (5) years, reseal and test.
-). Test run the Propeller Control Unit on a Propeller Control Unit test bench to verify correct operation and to check for leakage. This must be accomplished by an FAA approved Repair Station in accordance with the Propeller Control Unit Maintenance
Manual.

3) Sudden stoppage, lightning strike, propeller impact or metal contamination ?
a) Overhaul before return to service.

Thanks, Blake. Because I will be five years of long term storage soon, a reseal is called for in the bulletin. Guess this means sending it to APS for that service. Will find out how much when they return. Appreciate the help.

Sean,

Do you recall how much the PCU5000 reseal cost? I'm about to send mine in for the same thing. Thanks.

Hi Buck,

Looked up a reciept from 2020. $344.38 from Aircraft Propeller Service.

Back