What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drift HD170 Video

Craig23

Well Known Member
I took the new Drift Camera out for a flight last Friday night here in Santa Rosa, CA. The fog was coming in as the sun was going down, a perfect evening for flying. I had the camera mount screwed onto the top of the wing at the outer edge where the tip attaches. I've flown with the camera there several times with no perceived difference in flight characteristics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz07AkdwWDI

Nice video!

That camera does a great job! I'm in the market and leaning towards the drift. Thanks for posting that beautiful video!

Awesome, Craig! I'm sure you know how fortunate you are to live (and fly) in such a beautiful place.

The Drift HD-170 is definitely my current favorite for getting inexpensive HD aerial footage. I have clamped it onto the outside of about a dozen different aircraft types, and it always works well.

Best place to buy camera??

Nicely done video. For those that are buying these, mind if I ask where you source them from? I believe costco and best buy are getting into the gopro and hd sport cams. Just wondered if anyone had done some serious research on best prices or if they are all close enough it doesnt matter?

Thanks.

I stil use that little md80 camera from ebay I got for $12 and am amazed at the quality, but time to upgrade I think. These cameras are amazing.

Amazon

My wife bought the camera for me and said Amazon had the best price for the places she looked.

Last edited:
If your are wanting to buy the Drift, they'll be shipping their new version of the 170HD, called the Drift HD, that is 25% smaller than the 170HD with more features. Reviews have been good from those few who've been lucky to get their hands on it to review. Most sites are reporting they will have them in stock in Sept or early October. BTW, they've upgraded the external mic jack to a standard 2mm jack to make it easier to connect to various audio sources.

What camera settings are you guys using for video? 720 or 1080? Also what frame rate? The camera came in the box set at 720p and 30 fps, but I think that might not give the best video. On the other hand, 1080p and 60 fps will eat up a memory card and will require a fast computer to play it. Thanks

Craig,

Can you show us where you mounted the camera?

I have mine on the tip screws also, but I see the wing in my shots.

Drift HD 170 settings?

What camera settings are you guys using for video? 720 or 1080? Also what frame rate? The camera came in the box set at 720p and 30 fps

I have the same question. I just got this camera and experimenting with settings. Have made a few flights with it. I suspect my home computer is too "slow" to accurately play the HD feed. I'm used the 720 and 30 fps... and file size runs about 80MB per min!! It plays back on my computer kinda jerky. This camera makes ***.MOV files, which seems to only play with Quicktime. Can't use MS Movie Maker as file editor... so what are folks using to edit these MOV files and splice in music, etc?

Thanks!
Mike

I have the same question. I just got this camera and experimenting with settings. Have made a few flights with it. I suspect my home computer is too "slow" to accurately play the HD feed. I'm used the 720 and 30 fps... and file size runs about 80MB per min!! It plays back on my computer kinda jerky. This camera makes ***.MOV files, which seems to only play with Quicktime. Can't use MS Movie Maker as file editor... so what are folks using to edit these MOV files and splice in music, etc?

Thanks!
Mike

Get a Mac and use iMovie :)

So I'm working on what I want for Christmas. I want to make sure that I ask for the right thing from the wife! :D

So, is the Drift HD170 the same as the Drift Stealth? Is it worth waiting for the brand new model, Drift HD?

Settings

I found that if I set it at 1080P then I don't see the prop and cowl in the video. I do at 720P. I do my editing in i'Movie. The camera is mounted on the wingtip where it is angled down a little bit.

Back