What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I convert my O-320 to IO-320

Can anyone tell me if it is easy and possible to convert my O-320 to IO-320 and what parts it will take to do this? Also if anyone has the parts to make this conversion please contact me. Thanks
95one five 4 five 4two8 one

Yes - you can do this assuming you have the jugs that each have a threaded port for the injector. Look at anyones IO engine to see what I mean.

Here is a quick list off the top of my head of things to do:
- Replace the carb with the bolt on AirFlow Performance system. Call Don at Airflow for details.
- Replace the engine mechanical fuel pump with the high pressure version for injected engines. The pump is available from ACS.
- Replace the electric boost pump with the high pressure version - from Airflow Performance.
- If you have the old school gascolator replace it with the Andair HP gascolator or better yet get rid of it and use the in line fuel filter from AirFlow Performance.
- Some new hoses will need to be made up.
- You may or may not be able to reuse the throttle and mixture cables.

I did this on my first build back when Van’s only sold carb parallel valve 360 engines. I never even took the carb out of the box - just sold it.

Carl

Carl's list is pretty complete. Depending on the system used, you might have to add a fuel return line.

I considered this alteration on a previous non-RV ship. Had all the details and many pictures put down thanks to a colleague having done it. In the end didn't do it since it just wasn't worth it.
Even now, having a carbed engine, not sure I would convert to injection during a replacement since there ain't only pros, but some cons as well...

Yes ...

Can anyone tell me if it is easy and possible to convert my O-320 to IO-320 and what parts it will take to do this? Also if anyone has the parts to make this conversion please contact me. Thanks
95one five 4 five 4two8 one

The previously mentioned list is pretty much spot on.

I did this on a carbureted "340" (stroked O-320) with Don at Airflow Performance. We worked together to get a kit that would also work on the old "320 cowl" (much shorter/more snug than the current 320/360/3xx all in one cowl that Van's ships.). So even if your plane is an RV6 with one of those earlier 320 cowls, it will work. Just contact Don.

Was able to use existing cables.

Replaced mechanical and electrical (boost) fuel pumos.

Retained gascolators (Van's blue).

Relocated "red cube" (fuel flow) and adjusted EFIS for fuel flow and pressure.

I did it because I was having issues with a certain brand of carburetor (extreme divergence of EGTs above a certain MAP) and was not able to make progress with the manufacturer to get it solved.

IF You Decide To -

move forward with this modification, I've got most all the parts you need. I took all the stock IO components off my IO-320 when I converted to EFII. They're sitting in a box in the hangar waiting for a new home.

AirFlow Throttle Body, Fuel Pump, Van's Boost Pump, Distribution Spider, Distribution lines, Injectors, etc...

Just let me know if you want them, and then we can PM for $$$ and shipping negotiations.

Back