What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-Buy RV6A @ KPIE

jneves

Well Known Member
Hello all, new to the forum (as far as communicating) been using it for research for quite some time as I honed in on the right RV for me. Well I have found "the one" pending a pre-buy inspection I should be bringing her home in a couple weeks.

A bit about the plane. RV-6A, build completed 2000. IO-360 with a Sensenich FP prop as well as a spare Catto Carbon 3 blade that needs the nickel leading edge refurbished. Has the Sam James cowl and sealed plenum. We have a pre-buy scheduled for 9/13 in Tampa. I've review all the logs since day 1 and nothing alarming. I was hoping to get some advice of areas to focus on as I will plan to be there in person. Please spent all of its life, except for the last 2.5 months, in California, has about 400 hours AFTT and Engine SMOH. I spent about an hour with the owner on FaceTime walking the plane, engine compartment, behind the avionics panel, etc. She looks good in photos and over video but only a pre-buy will tell in the end. The inspector is very familiar with RVs and has inspected many in the past.

Any words of advice?

Happy I may soon be part of this great community

I went through the ad on BS, and the pics ---- looks like a really nice airplane. I would suggest, since it is very low TT for a 2000 airplane, that the engine and airframe get a good look. I have not seen serious corrosion issues on RV airframes, but I have run into a few engines that just had not been flown enough and had some internal issues. It would be nice if it had been flown a few hours, recently, so, on the pre-buy, you could split the oil filter and look at the oil screen. (compression checks, also, obviously)

Again, very nice looking airplane, and, you will be really happy with the -6A.

Ron

If they have a recent oil analysis that will help with any engine corrosion fears. Difficult to inspect otherwise.

It has in fact been flow about 40 hours since June. He flew from California to Colorado, then to Florida and has done another flight to CO and back. There is oil analysis from 2020 and another from this June and all looks good. Fingers crossed she comes back clean at pre-buy.

Also I do understand I am paying a premium, but I’m also selling my plane at a premium as well and it all works out just fine for me. I had plans to invest in avionics this year and had I done that I would have had a great panel but still a much lesser plane than this one at a higher total investment.

I went through the ad on BS, and the pics ---- looks like a really nice airplane. I would suggest, since it is very low TT for a 2000 airplane, that the engine and airframe get a good look. I have not seen serious corrosion issues on RV airframes, but I have run into a few engines that just had not been flown enough and had some internal issues. It would be nice if it had been flown a few hours, recently, so, on the pre-buy, you could split the oil filter and look at the oil screen. (compression checks, also, obviously)

Again, very nice looking airplane, and, you will be really happy with the -6A.

Ron

She’s only been in Florida for 2 months spent her entire life in California and I’m hoping to bring her back home to a gentler climate.

Well the pre-buy went well, went through the entire plane from front to back with the A&P. Build quality was great and she exceeded my expectations. She runs great, flies smooth and straight, fuel and oil consumption are as expected. Brought her home last week, 2250 miles, 14.3 hours, rain and storms in florida, Georgia and Mississippi. 3 approaches in IMC, 1 down to minimums, 1 high DA take off at gross (7700 ft DA), 1 take off with a tail wind, 2 landings with winds at 18 gusting 27 with a 19kt crosswind component. She tested all my skills in one trip and in doing so proved to be worth every penny spent. RV Grin in all its glory! Thank you everyone that cautioned me along the way and helped me keep my eyes wide open, those PMs were greatly appreciated.

I’ve had a couple local RV guys take a look and they blessed the quality, heading to my A&P next week for his review, and oil change and oil analysis. (Yes I know I can change it myself, but I was a Rotax guy so glad to pay for one for the education)

Sent PM to you

Hello all, new to the forum (as far as communicating) been using it for research for quite some time as I honed in on the right RV for me. Well I have found "the one" pending a pre-buy inspection I should be bringing her home in a couple weeks.

A bit about the plane. RV-6A, build completed 2000. IO-360 with a Sensenich FP prop as well as a spare Catto Carbon 3 blade that needs the nickel leading edge refurbished. Has the Sam James cowl and sealed plenum. We have a pre-buy scheduled for 9/13 in Tampa. I've review all the logs since day 1 and nothing alarming. I was hoping to get some advice of areas to focus on as I will plan to be there in person. Please spent all of its life, except for the last 2.5 months, in California, has about 400 hours AFTT and Engine SMOH. I spent about an hour with the owner on FaceTime walking the plane, engine compartment, behind the avionics panel, etc. She looks good in photos and over video but only a pre-buy will tell in the end. The inspector is very familiar with RVs and has inspected many in the past.

Any words of advice?

Happy I may soon be part of this great community

Please check PM.

Rv6a prebuy KGRB

Looking for a lead on someone who could perform a prebuy at KGRB. Any suggestions out there? Preferably someone localish. Obviously want someone familiar with the RV family.

Looking for a lead on someone who could perform a prebuy at KGRB. Any suggestions out there? Preferably someone localish. Obviously want someone familiar with the RV family.

Just sent you a message. If needed you can text me at (40eight) 23zero-30 nine three

Back