What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop angle setting

Karl Kistler

Patron
RV12 iS. I did the first engine ground runs. Everything fine so far but i achieved 5570 rpm with full power. (180kg pulling force)
I assume that the 5570 rpm are too high, any recommendation how much the prop angle should be adjusted? Thanks!

It's hard to say how much angle to add. Your prop is set too flat if you can red line RPM on the ground. You'll probably need to test several pitch angles with final setting confirmed in the flight.

I suspect the 12iS is similar to the carbureted RV-12. The sweet spot for prop pitch allows 5150-5200 RPM WOT in initial climb. With the legacy 12, push/pull throttle on the instrument panel, 5500 RPM cruise flight has throttle pulled back about 1.5".

Correct prop angle

Thanks, Jim. I had the hope, that somone could tell me in degrees per 100 rpm to adjust pitch angle.😉
Karl

Set it at 71.4 degrees to start,and then re test,your blades are too flat right now,get a digital angle finder.

Also, Van's sheetmetal tool for setting blade pitch works very well... In my opinion, better than Sensenich tool.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. I had the hope, that somone could tell me in degrees per 100 rpm to adjust pitch angle.��
Karl

Karl, what process did you use when doing the initial adjustment? If you follow the KAI process and use the recommended value, you should be very close.
Zeroing the digital level while its on the cockpit side rail (Step 3) is an important part of the process. Perhaps that step was missed?

Last edited:
We used the pin setting method as supplied by Sensenich. First attempt was a bit fine, turned the pin round to the other setting and it has been perfect. Now pull 5200 on takeoff which is spot on.

Back