What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You are definitely an RV-8 owner if

lucky

Well Known Member
Your chest, right knee and butt/hamstrings are killing you because you spent yesterday climing up and down your left wing too many times to count, kneeling down with all the down hill pressure on your right knee and the fuse/canopy rail's sharp sides digging into your chest for 2 hours while you were bent over and stretched out removing those darn screws and panels and otherwise working on your fuel selector valve, fuel tubing and other under pilot seat area stuff...

You're definately an RV-8 owner if...

... you can't fit into an RV-4

Having long legs I barely fit so this comment is pointed at myself. Sadly, I feel like you are describing after raking leaves in my yard for half a day.

You are definitely an RV-7 owner/builder if

Your neck is cricked from holding your head up, your back is aching because it's been bent backwards over the wing spar, your knees are sore because they've been bouncing off of the bottom of the seat support, your toes are bruised because they've been hitting the aft bulkhead, and your headache is killing you because the blood has been rushing to your head as you climb, headfirst, under the panel to finish wiring the intercom...:D

thanks for the chuckle

Your neck is cricked from holding your head up, your back is aching because it's been bent backwards over the wing spar, your knees are sore because they've been bouncing off of the bottom of the seat support, your toes are bruised because they've been hitting the aft bulkhead, and your headache is killing you because the blood has been rushing to your head as you climb, headfirst, under the panel to finish wiring the intercom...:D

I could easily follow what u were doing and it does suck. Pain is part of the right of passage!

Been there, done that, have the scars to prove it. Now I just pull the front and rear seat backs out and put in a couple of pillows in strategic places so I can lay down to work. I even pull the rear stick out sometimes to get a little more comfort. It's still tough working under the panel but better!

Sweet sweet pain! It lets us know that we are alive...
I hate going under the panel to work. It is a true labor of love and I dread it. It reminds me of my martial arts days...I knew that it was going to hurt, but it sure felt good when the bout was over.

In my estimation, building one of these aircraft requires climbing to the top of Mt. Discipline!

You are definately an RV8 owner if....

......you are certain that your wife thinks the back of your head and neck are the sexiest parts of your body. :D

You are definitely an RV-8 owner if ...

... you insist that your wife ride in the back seat of your car when you drive anywhere. :D

REAL RV-8 owners don't lay on their backs to work on the panel - they TAKE IT OUT and work on it on the work-bench, like the Big Man intended.....;)

You are an RV-8 builder if...

- You have scars (emotional and physical) from torquing the landing gear tower bolts/nuts.:(

- You always land 4 feet left of centerline every time you fly a side-by-side airplane.:D

- You wish that Dynon would make a portrait-display version of their EMS and EFIS so there would be enough width across the panel for a radio stack, an EFIS, and a EMS:cool:

-
- You wish that Dynon would make a portrait-display version of their EMS and EFIS so there would be enough width across the panel for a radio stack, an EFIS, and a EMS:cool:

If I'm understanding you, they DO -- the D-180. It's wide enough for the EFIS and EMS displays in one unit.

I had plenty of room in my panel for both Dynon units:
panel.jpg

And, of course, if you're building one now, the new 10" SkyVision unit will be perfect for the -8's panel.

You are definately an RV8 owner if

- you at least once, FORGET to latch your canopy.

- you prefer the FAT guy in the back seat.

- you wonder why your feet have almost nothing to do.

- your FBO now loves you because you seem to be visiting the pump a lot more than you used too.

- you find any excuse to go to the airport, (as if you needed one to start).

- your wife has a lot of photos of the back of your head.

You are an RV-8 owner If

You like to fit in small places under the panel and between the gear leg towers.

You are definitely an RV8 owner if

You are an expert at grabbing things behind your seat without looking. :eek:

You look at an RV-4 and say, "Now that little thing must be fun to fly!"

Sorry, had to say it.

Edit... I will patiently wait for Smokey to chime in about the Rocket. :)

Throttle Quadrant Functions

If I'm understanding you, they DO -- the D-180. It's wide enough for the EFIS and EMS displays in one unit.

I had plenty of room in my panel for both Dynon units:
panel.jpg

And, of course, if you're building one now, the new 10" SkyVision unit will be perfect for the -8's panel.

Pardon the thread derailment. What functions do you have on your throttle quadrant? Who makes it?

Thanks!

Scream

Pardon the thread derailment. What functions do you have on your throttle quadrant? Who makes it?

Thanks!

Scream

I run most necessary things from the stick grip. The only button on the throttle that I saw any use for was the SPD BRK button -- it runs my flaps.

As for who makes it ... umm ... whoever General Dynamics bought it from, I guess. :D

Canopy latch

Has anyone made or know of someone who has built a rear seat canopy latch ?
The canopy cannot be reached by the rear seat pax, this really bugs me as I have a stick and throttle control plus push to talk."......so in an emergency get it on the ground ok but unable to open the canopy.
Im going to look into an extension handle similar to rear seat throttle or just make a hand held device ( modified piece of wood or metal one could use to munipulate the opening of the front canopy latch.
Would like any input you guys have.
Thanks
Al Dilger L45 Bakersfield CA
RV8A 8 year build, flying two years + 180 hours
LYC IO 360 180 hp MT 3 Blade Garmin G3X (2 display)

You, are definately an RV8 owner if....
......you are certain that your wife thinks the back of your head and neck are the sexiest parts of your body.

Louise - thanks, my wife needs this perspective. She may be thinking this way, but she hasn't let me know....... yet!

Back