What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro audio from intercom

garrys

I have a Hero GoPro-2 and want to record ATC and cockpit audio (and block out the ambient engine noise). Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions on editing software for dummies like me?

Post Production

In post production... I do this all the time, we use a small solid state dictaphone recorder (Uniden something or other) along with an impedance matching cable that plugs inline with headset (big plug), cable plug goes into headset port on panel then jack provides place for headset connection, then third leg provides impedance matched, level reduced plug which goes into recorder mic input.

After flight import video and audio into editor and sync the two timelines and render video to desired format/resolution.

Next for me is using Data Logging capabilities in Skyview v5.1 and dashware.net to add air data overlay to videos, just did a flight yesterday and have the data but no chance to try yet.

If your a Windows guy then Microsoft Movie Maker is quite useful and free

Last edited:
I'm currently using a Sony ICD-UX523 voice recorder. It has a feature in which you can select how you want the wired input to be recorded (mic or line in). Using the "line in" setting the results are great by using a good quality audio line and a 1/4" adapter. No irregular cables needed. If flying four place with an empty seat I plug it in there. I also have a splitter I can use if an empty headset jack is not available. I did a bit of reading when I was looking for one as I didn't want to end up with something that only supported a wired microphone on the input side. All the impedance matching is done inside the recorder. The recorder supports a microSD card and also has 2GB of internal memory. A USB plug is built in and extends out from the bottom to access the internal memory on your PC or Mac. The batteries are rechargeable and charged via the USB plug.

Mike, perfect solution! Thank you so much!
Brian, I'll look into this editing software.
Garry Stout
RV7A

We use a very small microphone plugged into the GoPro. We then place the microphone inside one of the headset ear cups. this will give you some engine noise and all the audio.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

GoPro Audio from intercom

I bought the "G.A. Digital Audio Recorder Adapter" from Aircraft Spruce (part # 11-10486, $34.985). Thanks Mike! Took it up for a test flight today and I couldn't be happier. Zero engine or ambient noise but it captures cockpit conversations and ATC conversations perfectly! Wow! These GoPro video cameras are awesome, and produce outstanding quality video.

Now on to explore editing software. Wish me luck :)
Garry Stout
RV7A

Where do I find this?

We use a very small microphone plugged into the GoPro. We then place the microphone inside one of the headset ear cups. this will give you some engine noise and all the audio.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

Is this available from GoPro? If not can you tell me where to get one?

Such complicated solutions...why not just use a Y-adapter cable on the headset and whatever adapter you need to plug in the GoPro cable to that?

Seems easier than trying to stick microphones inside of headsets and all...

What am I missing here? :)

Such complicated solutions...why not just use a Y-adapter cable on the headset and whatever adapter you need to plug in the GoPro cable to that?

Seems easier than trying to stick microphones inside of headsets and all...

What am I missing here? :)

Agreed....Plus Halo's, the best RV headset out there, doesn't have ear cups!

Was wondering if there is a plug (or setup) into an audio panel (I have the PMA 9000EX) that will bypass the standard headset & mic jacks and just record the audio that way? I have a two Bose X headsets with the ship's power adapter, so the other plug you guys are chatting about won't work with these. I know I can get the other plug for the headset (conventional), use the adapter you are chatting about, and plug it into the normal mic and headset jacks I have installed, but would prefer not to.

I would think there would be a plug that could "listen" through the audio panel and go to the Go-Pro for the audio? Maybe it's only an input feature on the front of the PMA 9000EX? I should probably give them a call and ask.

I chatted with the guy from PS Engineering and he said the front plug (at least on the PMA 9000EX) is input only.

I guess it should work to get one of the adapters and plug it into the standard headset jack and it should be able to record the audio (without having the headset plugged into that jack). It will get the audio from the Bose jack since I wired them them together ("Y" them).

Can anybody confirm that since I'm not an electrical expert? :confused: I would hate to buy the adapter and find out it won't work. Thanks,

I chatted with the guy from PS Engineering and he said the front plug (at least on the PMA 9000EX) is input only.

I guess it should work to get one of the adapters and plug it into the standard headset jack and it should be able to record the audio (without having the headset plugged into that jack). It will get the audio from the Bose jack since I wired them them together ("Y" them).

Can anybody confirm that since I'm not an electrical expert? :confused: I would hate to buy the adapter and find out it won't work. Thanks,

How about connecting an iPhone to a Garmin 240 through the music/telephone jack on the front and using a memo app or recording voice onto the iPhone video recording ?

This jack has input and output as it can be connected to the iPhone for phone conversations.

Is this possible?

Last edited:
Back