What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 300 XL annunciator with AFS-4500

jdeas

Well Known Member
I understand to use my 300XL in IFR conditions I must install the companion annunciator. The annunciators I have found appear to have high pin count relays to switch a traditional CDI but I am using an AFS-4500 with an SL30 and 300XL. The CDI drive is serial and both the 300xl and SL30 can be shown at the same time.
Any suggestions on a solution? Do I still purchase a standard annunciator but leave the VOR/LOC/GPS switching unconnected?

need a rule clarifications there

We built our own annunciator.
2 switches 4 LEDs 4 resistors.

For IFR I thought the whole system must not just meet certification standards but actually be certified.

Last edited:
You would best hope that is not true, since your CDI (efis) is not certified.
I will bet the 300 manual says "an annunciator is required", without saying it must be brand X. I think the general consenscious is that it must meet the rules, either the manufacturer says so or you say so. For some things - like the gps - it is totally impractical for the average builder to claim they have done all the tests. For an annunciator, however, it should be easy.

Last edited:
I will bet the 300 manual says "an annunciator is required", without saying it must be brand X. I think the general consenscious is that it must meet the rules, either the manufacturer says so or you say so. For some things - like the gps - it is totally impractical for the average builder to claim they have done all the tests. For an annunciator, however, it should be easy.
'
What a timely thread. I am upgrading my panel and am selling my 300 XL. The buyer wants an annunciator. Does anyone have a "spare" they would want to sell? I did not have, nor did I need, one in my old panel.

It is my understanding that if your current equipment does not need the annunciator to switch, etc, and all components were within reach, you do not need a stand alone annunciator.

Thx,

Mark

Last edited:
Good point

The EFIS is a bit more removed but point taken. Perhaps it's time to make an annunciator.

VRF only install?

'
It is my understanding that if your current equipment does not need the annunciator to switch, etc, and all components were within reach, you do not need a stand alone annunciator.

I need to re-read the manual but I think it was required or placard as VFR only.

300XL installation

'
Thx,
Mark
For IFR, if you are using the approval documents which are in the installation manual (based on a Mooney installation), then the annunciator is required to match that configuration. The annunciator has mode lights and switches, even if you aren't switching CDI functionality.
To be completely technically correct, an ARINC 429 interface is also required so that you can change the OBS setting from the remote (EFIS) CDI when in Hold mode. There is a screen on the 300XL to change the OBS in this situation, but the installation approval is based on being able to do that from the remote CDI.
What you do on your airplane is up to you - you are the manufacturer! :cool:

annuciator panel details

MauiLovers (Dave and Tina);

can you provide the details on your home built annunciator above?

thanks!

To be completely technically correct, an ARINC 429 interface is also required so that you can change the OBS setting from the remote (EFIS) CDI when in Hold mode.

More importantly, you need an ARINC 429 interface to provide CDI scaling during approaches (smoothly transitioning down to 0.3 NM)

Paige

Back