What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelen Strobe Power Supply

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello All

Yesterday my strobes ( wings and tail ) on my -4 stopped working for some unknow reasons and the only thing I can suspect will be the power supply.

Since they are fairly expensive, I'm wondering if there is some tests I can do to check what mignt be the problem before I need to trash it..

In the mean time if there are anyone here with one for sale, I might be interested soon..

I believe the one I've got is this one ( to be confirm as soon as I take it out of the aircraft )

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/elpages/whelenpowersupplies.php

Thank you for your help

Bruno
[email protected]

Power Supply testing

Hello Guys

Tom: Thanks a lot for the link, I will have a good look at it,

Larry: Yes, it could be an option if everything else fails, I'll see if I can contact them for any suggestions they may have, worth a try anyway..

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

might not be the power supply

Hello All

Yesterday my strobes ( wings and tail ) on my -4 stopped working for some unknow reasons and the only thing I can suspect will be the power supply.

Since they are fairly expensive, I'm wondering if there is some tests I can do to check what mignt be the problem before I need to trash it..

In the mean time if there are anyone here with one for sale, I might be interested soon..

I believe the one I've got is this one ( to be confirm as soon as I take it out of the aircraft )

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/elpages/whelenpowersupplies.php

Thank you for your help

Bruno
[email protected]

Do a forums search on power supply failures or repair and I think you'll find some troubleshooting ideas. I had similar indications as what you describe, even sent my power supply back to Whelen where it checked out just fine, and eventually found that my strobe toggle switch on the panel was bad and caused the connectors on the power/ground wires to the power supply to overheat and open up.
Here's one thread on this subject:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=69000

Good luck!

I have one

I have an extra one if you need it. Mfg in 07, less than 200 hours on the airplane it came out of. You have have it for $200 plus shipping.

Power Supply

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info,

I just bought a complet kit from someone here on VAFs and will probably used this new power supply..

I will remove the old one this week end and check it out..I will also check the switch, it seem to work fine but one never knows..

Chris: Do you remember how much Whelen charged you to check it out??

Thanks again

Bruno
[email protected]

Chris: Do you remember how much Whelen charged you to check it out??

Thanks again

Bruno
[email protected]

Bruno - they didn't charge me anything for the checkout. I think I paid the shipping, but can't remember if I paid it both ways. I think they'll charge if repairs are needed. Whelen was very helpful with troubleshooting via email and then pretty quick turnaround when we got to the point of sending it back. They even put a new plug harness in the box when they sent it back (mine was installed in my plane).
My power supply was well under 10 years old at the time; as you may have read in other threads, I'm told they won't look at or repair older power supplies.

The problem with my switch was that one of the fast-on tabs on the back of the switch (Carling toggle switch) had loosened when the rivet holding it in place loosened up enough to allow the tab to rotate back and forth slightly. This created a high resistance connection and the AMP fast-on connector at that tab overheated, then my connectors to the factory harness downstream from the switch also overheated and burned open. Replacement of the switch and all connectors solved my problem. I now periodically check all my toggle switches for loose tabs.

I had a similar problem. I traced it to the power connector at the power supply. Cleaned the connector and pins, put some dielectric grease on them, and that took care of it.

WhelenPower Supply

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info..

Chris: Good on Whelen to at least have a look at your Pwr Supply prior to do any work on it..

I removed mine yesterday and it is an old model ( Well over 10 years old, it says Aug 7?? on it so it is dated ) As you mentioned, I'll be surprised if they even look at it..

I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say..

As suggested, I will cleaned all the contacts and give it another try before doing anything else..

The new one I just bought is the same model so hopefully the connections will be the same..I should get it within the next 10 days

Thanks again

Bruno

check grounds

I had a similar issue on my power supply during the past annual. I was checking voltage and kept getting a low voltage to the power supply (4-5 volts). Traced it to the fasttab on the ground wire at the ground block. My ground wires goes from the power supply to a common ground block instead of to the airframe for noise suppression. The crimp had loosened to where the ground was not strong. New connector crimped on and issue solved.

Like others... I had a failed Molex connector for power. I simply opened the box and soldered in new pigtail wires.

I did this because the failed connector had been so hot it turned black and distorted the entire connector. The smell of that connector melting in flight would have probably given me a heart attack.

Back