What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Triple Tree Runway ok for nosegear?

trib

Well Known Member
I noticed several RVers spoke kindly of the Triple Tree flyin. From Va. Beach this looks like a workable distance and I'd like to attend. I was curious if any of those previously attending could comment on the runway surface from an "
A" model perspective. I pretty much swore I'd be happy on paved surfaces and stay away from the grass strips to eliminate most of the risk of planting my nosegear and becoming inverted when not airborne :(. That being said, I flew with Turbo Eddie when he landed on a couple FLA grass strips that were in great shape with no issues. Since they bill Triple Tree as the Agusta of runways I might be tempted to give it a try. Any "A" model guys fly into there previously want to give me your opinion on the conditions and any advice?

Triple Tree is on my bucket list. I've never been there but heard that it's very smooth and you will have no problem to land there with your A. It's ten times better then this packed gravel/grass strip in Maine I landed couple days ago. Thanks John for bringing me there :D

LindbergME17.jpg

No Problem

I noticed several RVers spoke kindly of the Triple Tree flyin. From Va. Beach this looks like a workable distance and I'd like to attend. I was curious if any of those previously attending could comment on the runway surface from an "
A" model perspective. I pretty much swore I'd be happy on paved surfaces and stay away from the grass strips to eliminate most of the risk of planting my nosegear and becoming inverted when not airborne :(. That being said, I flew with Turbo Eddie when he landed on a couple FLA grass strips that were in great shape with no issues. Since they bill Triple Tree as the Agusta of runways I might be tempted to give it a try. Any "A" model guys fly into there previously want to give me your opinion on the conditions and any advice?

Triple Tree is one of the smoothest grass strips I have ever encountered. Really, it's like a golf course. you won't have any issues.

That said, once you get off the runway, keep your eyes peeled for small ruts or trailers (bill). Last year, I did taxi through one area with a few runoff ruts as I was heading to my camping spot. They were small 2-3 inches, but I wouldn't go barreling through there with a lot of weight on the nose. Of course, you shouldn't be going that fast anyway on the taxi areas...

Triple Tree's runway is about as good as it gets. That said, there will be a large crowd with blankets and lawn chairs on the hillside below the control tower, which is like a grandstand right on the runway. They are there to rate your landing. Three-point an A-model RV and you may appear on YouTube ;)

I agree with Dan & Greg. Very smooth.

Although, you do need to taxi slow when venturing out to back 9 where they had me last year. There may be few divots that will get your attention.

TFR's and Triple Tree

Just got a briefing last night from our local FAA guy....
The Dem convention starts on Tuesday in Charlotte and Triple Tree starts on Wednesday...exercise extreme caution with the TFR's around Charlotte. FAA already has plans to assign people to certain airports 24 X 7 designated as facilities the F-16's will send you too if you violate the TFR's. F16's are scheduled to be on the alert pads at Shaw and McIntire AFB here in SC for the convention.

I have been going to triple tree for the last 7 years for the RC flyin,, but this will be my first fullscale, we are leaving KGWW Goldsboro, NC and heading that way on my Decathlon N1022E, I must say most of the grass is golf course quality, I;m looking forward to it. I should have my red/white decathlon with Mikey Mathews and his white decathlon at his acrodynamics.org tent.

Question for those who fly there every year. How challenging would it be to arrive on Friday around 10 am and depart the same day 3 pm ? Judging from pictures of yesteryears attendance is high and traffic pretty intense.

Question for those who fly there every year. How challenging would it be to arrive on Friday around 10 am and depart the same day 3 pm ? Judging from pictures of yesteryears attendance is high and traffic pretty intense.

No problem. Even at the traffic peak, you're looking at hourly volumes like those at a good pancake breakfast.

FYI - They just re-did the runway, so it will be smoother than you remember.

BTW, the Canard guys don't have a problem landing there.

Back