What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12 Volt Power Supply

HDDAHL

My RV is Skyview equipped. I assume that one can trickle charge the battery using the "cigarette lighter" dc power outlet. Am I correct? Thanks.

Doug Dahl
RV-9A
RV-12 flying!

Mine's D180, and I did what you suggest when doing firmware upgrades, data downloads, and familiarizing with the panel.

Power options pending engine kit?

On a more general standpoint, what are the options to power and test the avionics and associated wirings pending the installation of the battery coming with the engine kit?

Not so sure about that, Doug. The 12V outlet is connected to the fuse panel and is restricted to 5A max. This might also require the main relay to be engaged, which means the Master switch might have to be on.

On a more general standpoint, what are the options to power and test the avionics and associated wirings pending the installation of the battery coming with the engine kit?
On the back of the fuse/switch panel is a plug with two connectors for the battery and the regulator hook up. Using an ordinary crocodile clamp you can connect to one of them and inject 12V from a battery or a power supply, provide ground through the fuselage.
This will bypass the Master switch and everything will come on right away. It will provide you the ability to test every aspect of the avionics and the autopilot servos.

Not so sure about that, Doug. The 12V outlet is connected to the fuse panel and is restricted to 5A max. This might also require the main relay to be engaged, which means the Master switch might have to be on.

On the back of the fuse/switch panel is a plug with two connectors for the battery and the regulator hook up. Using an ordinary crocodile clamp you can connect to one of them and inject 12V from a battery or a power supply, provide ground through the fuselage.
This will bypass the Master switch and everything will come on right away. It will provide you the ability to test every aspect of the avionics and the autopilot servos.

An D-180 equipped RV-12 has the aux. power wired through an inline fuse direct to the bat., so charging through the aux. plug is possible.

A Skyview RV-12 has the aux. plug configured differently, so charging through the aux. plug is not possible.

Battery charging

I have a D180 installation and wish to charge/maintain my battery through the cigarette lighter socket.

Will a 5A max charger be OK, given this is a 5A-fused line?

If not, will a 4A max charger be OK?

Thanks...Keith

Thanks. I was looking to buy a 4A or 5A charger for multiple purposes. I don't want to blow a fuse in the plane if I connect this and the battery requires more than a trickle charge.

The battery is currently showing around 11.3A which isn't enough to turn the prop, but is enough to rather noisily trigger the solenoid.

Almost every trickle charger (maintainer, actually...) you can buy comes with two different charge line "ends" that are swappable. One end is a simple pair of ring connectors with pigtail to a plug, the other is the typical alligator clamps with pigtail to a plug. Put the ring connecter pigtail on your battery and leave it there. You can reach its plug through the oil cooler door and plug in the charger there. Mine will hang outside the oil door.

Thanks, that's a good alternative. I never thought the lead could be made accessible through the oil door!

Cheers...keith

12v External Power

I installed two heavy duty leads to the battery terminals and connected them to an Anderson Power Pole - a connector which comes in assorted sizes, amperage and wire size ratings, and temperature ratings. It is a standard ham radio connector that allows a great assortment of equipment to be connected to the 12v DC electrical power that powers much of today's ham gear.

I ran the leads to the oil access door and the connector sits there ready to be hooked up. It is keyed so you can never inadvertently reverse the polarity.

i-BMhJf65-L.jpg

I fabricated matching leads and connector for my power supplies - I have two, borrowed from my ham radio shack - one is 4 amps and one is 30 - they are set at about 13.8 v. I discussed makes and models and posted Links on another thread a years or so ago. They are much more economical than the aircraft ones shown in the catalogs, and probably much more capable.

Bob Bogash
N737G

SkyView batteries need to be managed by the SkyView displays. They are adamant about not charging these batteries any other way. They are Lithium Ion batteries (danger Will Robinson!). Unless you want to start a fire you can't put out, I'd only charge them as prescribed by Dynon!

Check page 9-4 of the install manual which says:

"The SV-BAT-320 must only be charged by SkyView. External charging of the battery is not supported. External charging of the battery can damage it or cause it to explode."

Charger

Any reason I can't continue putting the trickle charger clamps on the battery?

I'm a Neubie with one of the SLSAs

Tim

Searching for external power options

I have VP-X Pro installed in my RV-9A and am looking for a means to apply external power to the airplane so that I can power Skyview and my avionics suite on the ground without using the installed battery. Any recommendations on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. Also any recommendations on a power supply?
Frank Bush
N646FB

Back