What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding water protection to a lightweight cover

trib

Well Known Member
I have a lightweight cover, which I like carrying around much better than the heavy weather-proof cover. The only problem is that it is no good for shedding rain. I found a cheap, easy solution you guys may be interested in. I purchased a 7' long piece of ripstock nylon from a local fabric store. It came in 60" widths. It is even light gray and matches my cover. I place the cover on and strap down one side, then place the ripstock over the canopy and secure it by sliding the end under the fastened cover. Next pull the cover over the ripstock (and remaining canopy) then fasten the other end of the cover. The ripstock between the cover and canopy seals out the water. The 7' length is just slightly longer that the cover, so the elastic straps keep the ripstock in place. The ripstock will easily fold and fit in the same case with the cover and weighs only a couple ounces.:)

I figure this will come in handy at Oshkosh. I had to put down short of my destination last weekend and sit out a series of storms and this combination worked great.

Good idea Tim.

I know the lightweight cover isn't waterproof per the description...

Thin lightweight cover sheds dew and rain, yet lets moisture evaporate. Small, light package for travel.

But how does it really do?

I recently bought one and don't really know what to expect in a torrential downpour.

Based on your idea, it must not do great by itself?

Good idea Tim.

I know the lightweight cover isn't waterproof per the description...

Thin lightweight cover sheds dew and rain, yet lets moisture evaporate. Small, light package for travel.

But how does it really do?

I recently bought one and don't really know what to expect in a torrential downpour.

Based on your idea, it must not do great by itself?
Well, I can say from experience that in the torrential downpour on the Monday prior to the SnF tornado in 2011 when it rained hard non-stop for 10 hours, along with the wind driven rain from the tornado storm itself, the light weight canopy cover we used, from a well known seller of said canopy covers, allowed enough water to infiltrate my cockpit enough to totally saturate the carpet in the floor, to have water dripping down the firewall and to have water INSIDE my Vertical Power power unit box that resided on a shelf between the firewall and the sub-panel.

I have the lightweight cover from Flightline Interiors and have been using it for about 3 1/2 years. I don't have any idea if it is advertised as waterproof or water resistant, but mine does a very good job of keeping the canopy dry when parked outside in significant rain for long periods of time. I have the silver cover.

My lightweight cover from flightline is essentially useless for water. I think a heavy dew would allow water in the cockpit. It's the silver one also. Looks great and does an excellent job with sun, but forget about it for rain.

can you waterproof the fabric?

I'm sure a soft fabric is essential where it touches the plexi......but can you spray silicone on the outside to help seal the pores, like you do on a pair of boots?
ok, I suppose then it's not 'breathable' .......but really, when its' sitting tight against plexi and aluminum, exactly how is air passing thru it?
It just dries out as the surface moisture evaporates bia sun & wind.
my $.02

Cellophane Trick...

Well, I can say from experience that in the torrential downpour on the Monday prior to the SnF tornado in 2011 when it rained hard non-stop for 10 hours, along with the wind driven rain from the tornado storm itself, the light weight canopy cover we used, from a well known seller of said canopy covers, allowed enough water to infiltrate my cockpit enough to totally saturate the carpet in the floor, to have water dripping down the firewall and to have water INSIDE my Vertical Power power unit box that resided on a shelf between the firewall and the sub-panel.

Steve,

I had a similar experience at Triple Tree several years ago during torrential rains lasting over 2 days. I also had a light weight non-waterproof canopy cover. I placed a 12” wide strip of cellophane over the canopy bow seam and firewall seam of the engine nacelle. I secured the cellophane edges with 3M low residue masking tape. I then secured the canopy cover over the cellophane. The cellophane worked fine keeping the water out. However, the cellophane and tape must be applied while the surfaces are still dry or else you will never get it to adhere.

Steve,

I had a similar experience at Triple Tree several years ago during torrential rains lasting over 2 days. I also had a light weight non-waterproof canopy cover. I placed a 12? wide strip of cellophane over the canopy bow seam and firewall seam of the engine nacelle. I secured the cellophane edges with 3M low residue masking tape. I then secured the canopy cover over the cellophane. The cellophane worked fine keeping the water out. However, the cellophane and tape must be applied while the surfaces are still dry or else you will never get it to adhere.
Tom, I am going to consider taking a roll of cellophane with me to Osh and try your trick. Although I now have one of the heavy duty canvas covers, it couldn't hurt to add to the protection.

Becasue Louise's -6 is kit #4, it has the early design canopy hinges that are essentially conduits for water to flow right behind the panel. even though we have the top-of-the-line covers from Bruce's for all our airplanes, she carries a large roll of 2" gray vinyl electrical bundling tape (we use it by the ton when forming fiberglass - nice release properties) and tapes up the cockpit seams before putting on the cover if it looks like rain. The vinyl tape peels off easily with no residue and stretches well over compound curves. We get it at Home Depot Aviation Supply.

Paul

Paul,

Talking about this stuff?

70c0ffd8-5a7f-42c6-990a-1af7baa22f39_300.jpg

If so I need to get some of that...the tipup is a pain in the rear to keep water out of the high dollar stuff! The newer hinges are not much better!

That is the one thing that has me wishing I had built a slider!

Back