What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel primer line problems

trib

Well Known Member
I know there have been many posts regarding the 1/8" copper tubing used for the primer from the solenoid to the lycoming tee. Does anyone have any details on replacing with braided hose? The question is the lycoming ball-end fitting for the tubing that mates with the tee. Is there an adapter out there that would let you use a fitting that would connect to braided hose? I haven't been able to find one. I talked with Brett at Boanco and he's willing to help if we can provide some info to him in order to produce the fitting. does anyone have any specs on the ball-end fitting? I'm going to try and come up with one to send if I can find some old primer tubing. My line recently broke, but I inserted a 1/8" universal rivet into the fitting to seal it off. I just happened to notice the copper line had sheared (even with 3 vertical and 3 horizontal service loops) when I had the cowling off for something else. Not sure how long I've been squirting gas on the engine when priming for start (annual was in April). I'm anxious to know if someone already has solved this as far as how to use flexible lines.

So I have the lycoming setup, with stainless steel lines going to 3 of the 4 cylinders. All very well engineered and a solid system. I'd like to keep these and just tie from the solenoid to the inlet tee. If you need a picture, check out page 6-6, part 14 at the bottom center in the following link to the lycoming parts catalog: http://pj260.com/Lycoming/Parts Catalogs/PC-306-1.pdf .

I am not looking to install an entirely new system with made-up nozzles and braided lines to each cylinder, just need some way to adapt to the tee to install braided hose. The tee connection is an AN800-2 cone fitting which ACS has to braze to copper tubing.

So, from the Tee I soldered the AN800-2 to a 1/8" copper tubing (about 1-2" long) then used the fittings that I previously described to adapt the copper tubing to a standard flex hose which connects to the solenoid. Of course the AN800-2 and tubing is bolted to the Tee with a threaded tubing end fitting. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Last edited:
different approach-

I used restricted AN816-3 fittings at the cylinders, a AN824-3 tee, braided -3 hoses, and Vans solenoid. We plumb the front 2 cylinders. Hose lengths vary , depending on tee location, and solenoid location.
Tom

Back