What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar Torque anyone?

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
We bought an RV6A with the wings off...

What is the prescribed torque for the wing spar bolts?

Also, is there an order for torquing them?

Thank you!!!

Likely standard torque for that size bolt, BUT...

Before you do anything else, you really should get a copy of the construction manual and drawings from Van's and study it.

Smaller nuts

If it is a -6A get some of the smaller MS-21042 nuts in the 10-32 size.

They will be much easier to access under the gear leg mounts. :)

Look up the torque for the NAS bolts, I think the 6 will have them. I made sure all nuts were bottomed, then torqued to half value, then to full value. No particular order. I have a 7.

Look up the torque for the NAS bolts, I think the 6 will have them. I made sure all nuts were bottomed, then torqued to half value, then to full value. No particular order. I have a 7.

The -6's use about 40+ bolts to attach the main spar, with most being #10s.

Completely different from the later two-seaters...:)

Just use the torque values stated in Vans instructions,

Last edited:

More like...72 in the main spar, 2 at rear spar, and 2 at fuel tank support. Plus 4 steel doubler plates.

Last edited:

Just use the torque values stated in Vans instructions,

The 6A is 90 bolts total (both wings) including the gear towers. 78 if you dont count the gear tower to lower longeron bolts. I did this recently and will have nightmares and carpal tunnel for years to come.

Edit, I replied before I saw Mels post

When you put it back together, mark the torque value discretely next to each bolt type with a sharpie. You will want to re-check torque of these bolts at least once after your initial install, and spot check at your CI. The torque values will be there for life.
The older laminated spars differ from the newer design. They are a laminated sandwich and it isn?t a bad idea to re-check the torque down the line although as Scott suggests, torque for the older design is less critical.

Back