What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kids - Booster Cushions

Phil

Well Known Member
My son has become a wizard and instrument flight, but he's never seen much more than the panel of our RV-10 from the front seats. Giving him a heading and an altitude and he's every bit as good as an off-the-shelf autopilot (but probably a tad bit more expensive). :)

I'm looking to add a booster to the front seat where he can get some better visibility over the panel. The booster will need a cutout for the stick to come full-aft while his seat is pushed full-forward.

I have found this booster but the size of that cutout looks like it could be a bit uncomfortable for him.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/boostercut.php

Does anyone have any reviews on this booster or leads on another one I should consider?

He's the best co-pilot you could ever want, I just need to get him some better visibility before I allow him to get frustrated with the experience.

Phil

I had Oregon Aero (the guys that did my seats) make a "booster" cushion for my wife in the back seat of my 8. It's about 4" thick and made just like the rest of the upholstery and just sets on top of the regular cushion.

Go buy a 2 inch foam bock from your favorite hardware store. Cut it to fit. Place it under your curent cushion.

works well, cheap, light and easy to install/remove.

Who's interior do you have? Classic Aero Designs makes boosters. There's a "long" and a "short" and by design you can use one or both.

Spoiler alert - they aren't giving them away. But I like the set I got.

Last edited:
I'd say purchase a car booster seat at Target or the like, and cut a notch in it for the stick. That's what I do for my son in my RV-7 and it works great. Best part, you'll only be out about $20.

Go buy a 2 inch foam bock from your favorite hardware store. Cut it to fit. Place it under your curent cushion.

works well, cheap, light and easy to install/remove.

I did what Axel says but still needed more so I have a booster seat off Amazon on top of a piece of 4" high density foam on top of my rear cushion in my -4 and it works great. I don't have a stick in back but I don't think it would be a problem if i did, the booster seats are not very deep. The best part about the booster seat is it gives the little guys arm rests and a cup holder and then you can always use the booster seat in a rental or crew car.

This is the booster I use: https://www.amazon.com/Chicco-GoFit...2&sr=1-1&keywords=gofit+backless+booster&th=1

29wpj69.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yeah I have him with the booster now, but it doesn?t do much good because I have to slide him all the way back to make clearance for the stick. When you slide the seats back on the -10, they also lower the seat height - thus negating the advantage of the booster. I can rub him full coward without the booster or full act with the booster and his sight line never changes.

I guess I?ll just order the spruce booster with the cut out and see how it goes. I?ll report in.

Thanks,
Phil

A block of high density foam, a $10 Turky carving electric knife from Walmart and making a wedge cushion to go under that booster seat might work and save a lot of money.

Back