What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A down YSMB

KRviator

Well Known Member
Even though I'm based there, I only know what the ATSB has posted, but VH-OAJ was involved in an accident at Somersby this afternoon, with the pilot being airlifted to Royal North Shore.

Somersby is a small (600m usable), privately owned airstrip, with a 2% downslope towards the accident scene, ie when using RWY35. I landed that way, once in my -9A but would never do it again. I always land uphill now on RWY17, even with a tailwind.

The ATSB said:
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is investigating the collision with terrain of single-engine RV-6A aircraft, VH-OAJ, which occurred at Somersby Airfield, Central Coast, NSW on 18 March 2018.

ATSB Transport Safety Investigators will soon commence the evidence collection phase of the investigation where they will interview witnesses, examine any available recorded data, review operational records and technical documentation.

The evidence collection phase will also define the size and scope of the investigation and determine the expected timeframe for the completion of a final report.

Any witnesses to this accident are encouraged to complete an online form at www.atsb.gov.au/witness or call 1800 992 986.

No further information is available at this time.

Should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant parties.

Source

Kariong RFS said:
Kariong 1A & 1B, Somersby, Central coast deputy group 7, FRNSW, nsw ambulance, police & other emergency units are currently on scene at an incident at Somersby Air strip.

Please keep the area clear for the services to work.

Photo H.Pearce

Source

A 75-year-old man has been airlifted to Royal North Shore Hospital, after an incident at a Somersby airstrip in his private plane this afternoon.

Emergency services were called to Lackersteens Road around 4:30pm, finding the light plane had overshot the runway.

Ambulance and Fire and Rescue Crews freed the man and treated him on scene before he was airlifted. This is no word on his injuries or condition at this stage.

Police have handed the matter over to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, who are investigating what caused the incident.

More to come.

screen-shot-2018-03-18-at-62807-pm.png

Source

Last edited:
Any new news on how the guy is doing? Looks like a nice setup he had having his own strip. I hope he is doing well.

Any new news on how the guy is doing? Looks like a nice setup he had having his own strip. I hope he is doing well.
The owner of the RV is not the owner of the strip.

If you believe the local radio news (who reported it as a Cessna, naturally :rolleyes:) he went into cardiac arrest prior to being airlifted to RNS, where he remains in a critical condition. :(

Other than the reports linked, there's nothing new in the print media.

That's awful. Sorry to hear. It looked like a nice plane too. Thanks for the update. Prayers to the family.

Final report has been published.

Long landing and no go around resulted in an overrun. OF note, it mentions the buckling behind the cockpit that seems to be typical of rapid deceleration in RV's - at least in Australia...

FWIW, here's video landing at Somersby, in the opposite direction

One of the hardest decisions for pilots to make even in part 121 airline operations is to go around. Everyone should establish a set of criteria that will trigger a automatic go around. If you haven?t scared yourself on a landing where you should have gone around you are in a very small minority. I hope I have scared myself for the last time. Bad pilots never go around. Good pilots don?t hesitate to use the option.

it seems most of my go-arounds are after flying relatively long 3+ hr flights. why is that? I'm aware of it now and try to manage it and fly the numbers.

Last edited:
it seems most of my go-arounds are after flying relatively long 3+ hr flights. why is that? I'm aware of it now and try to manage it and fly the numbers.

I also find that my landings after really long legs can be sloppy...it?s probably just fatigue. Long legs involve more serious navigation, more radio changes, more varying weather conditions etc. Now I?m aware of the problem I also make an extra mental effort as I approach.

It?s interesting that the ATSB report said the plane didn?t have its wheels fully on the ground and commence its landing roll until 125 metres from the end of the runway....that?s quite amazing. Apparently it bounced several times before that point. The strip was only 690 metres in length and largely surrounded by trees.

My surprise was that at 45 mph at the last measurement and so little damage the guy didn't make it. His seat harness worked but his head went forward. I thought at that speed the chances were better. Very complete report and a sad ending.

I am the same. After a long cross-country I tend to be quite tired. I was talking to a former Qantas pilot a couple months ago - at Somersby ironically - and he mentioned the effect blood sugar levels can have and that he made a point to have a sweet snack before descent or prior to takeoff.

I don't know enough about the physiology of it, but it makes sense when you consider how quickly jelly beans can positively affect a diabetic. Could be worth trying - if only to give you an excuse to add a packet of 'em to the shopping...

Sad

I?ve flown my 7 in there a few times. It?s not one of my favorites.
The length isn?t overly challenging. But the surface isnt great and the slope especially needs respect in that direction.
What it has in common with other considerably shorter 1 way strips I regularly use with fences/trees/power lines/channels/drains whatever, is that it needs a decent self brief, no matter how many times you land there.
Fatigue may well have been an issue and as much as remaining well fed and hydrated is important, a proper plan is essential when landing long or an overshoot is unacceptable.
For me, all 3 wheels on the ground and on the brakes by half way or around we go. RVs are capable of landing pretty much anywhere if done right. It?s being prepared and ready to act when things aren?t right that?s important.
It?s all very sad. I met Richard quite a few times. Lovely guy.

I think you are always better off landing in to wind, even if it is down hill. You just have to concentrate on speed and aiming point and have a planned touchdown point beyond which you go around. A headwind is your friend. There are 2 airports in the my area with steep slopes, more than 2% and they can be tricky, but so can a tailwind. If it is blowing 10 kts on your tail are you still going to land uphill? Have you figured out how much more distance you would need? That?s 20 kts more ground speed than going the other way. That?s a huge amount of energy.

This guy left it too late, which can happen to anyone. We?ve all landed long but usually there is a bunch of pavement in front of us so we don?t worry about it. This guy didn?t have that option. Very unfortunate and a wakeup call for the rest of us. I hope he makes a full recovery. Tough at that age.

I am the same. After a long cross-country I tend to be quite tired. I was talking to a former Qantas pilot a couple months ago - at Somersby ironically - and he mentioned the effect blood sugar levels can have and that he made a point to have a sweet snack before descent or prior to takeoff.

I don't know enough about the physiology of it, but it makes sense when you consider how quickly jelly beans can positively affect a diabetic. Could be worth trying - if only to give you an excuse to add a packet of 'em to the shopping...

I do a lot of long cross-country legs, many in the 5 and 6 hour range, and I've noticed the same thing. I carry trail-mix type snacks enroute and sweets for the approach phase, it definitely helps me. Flying long legs is not physically tiring, but it's mentally draining.

Just want to share my decision point on go arounds for a few of you and hopefully it will help someone.

Determining to go-around point is a critical (and in some cases life critical) decision and unfortunately there is rarely a clearly defining moment when a go-around in necessary (deer, etc.).

For those of us who fly regularly, we're going to make decent approaches and have the ability to correct them. That also means that our go-around decision point is likely going to based in a gray area. Our approach will be close to good, but it will be marginal. Is it marginal enough that you need to go around?

For me, my decision point is simple. The first time I think, "you might have to go around on this one" is my decision point. Yeah I can rescue 99.999% of those landings, but my decision point is when that initial thought of a go-around is developed in my head.

The beauty of it is that there is no gray area. Is this approach good enough? Can it be salvaged? What can I chance to salvage it. Etc.

I've already made my go-around decision while sitting in the recliner and now I just have to execute it from the front seat of the airplane.

Can it be salvaged?

I would submit that if you are questioning whether the approach can be salvaged, you probably should probably be doing a go around...

Go arounds are free; why try and salvage a poor approach?

I would submit that if you are questioning whether the approach can be salvaged, you probably should probably be doing a go around...

Go arounds are free; why try and salvage a poor approach?
I think that is a really good point. To break off the approach and have another crack at it, particularly at an uncontrolled airfield, takes at most, 5 minutes. I can do a full circuit to 1000AGL and back to the runway for another T&G in 3.3 minutes, so it isn't like you're going to be significantly delayed by going missed.

Getting down in one piece is the goal. Getting down off the first approach is a bonus.

Unfortunately...

Unfortunately, there seems to be a stigma attached to executing a go around. Many people think that they are "less of a pilot" if they can't "salvage" or "rescue" and approach or landing.

When an incident or accident occurs, the question is always asked, "Why didn't you go around?"...and in hindsight, there is almost never a good reason to have continued.

My decision to go around usually results from bounced landings. If I bounce twice, or too high the first time, :mad: I pour the coals to it. Sometimes, I wish I had ground spoilers.:D (I've found that looking at the end of the runway, really helps with this---something I learned a million years ago, and then completely forgot about.)

Last edited:
Back