What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview/ADSB-470

HDDAHL

I have bought the weather package from Dynon and am ready to install.

I am having difficulty getting help from Vans regarding which serial port(s) are available. Dynon says they think serial port #2 has been reserved for weather.
In looking at the electrical diagram I can't tell since the internal wiring of the AV 50000 is not shown. Maybe this is obvious to someone with more expertise than me.

Otherwise the installation seems very simple and straightforward. Thanks for any help in advance.

Doug Dahl

RV-12 builders/owners that purchase the ADSB kit from Van's will get install instructions similar to all of the other kit sections (along with brackets to make mounting the 470 box very simple), that should guide them through the entire install.

On the RV-12 Skyview avionics installation, serial port 2 has been reserved / planned for the ADSB 470.

RV-12 builders/owners that purchase the ADSB kit from Van's will get install instructions similar to all of the other kit sections (along with brackets to make mounting the 470 box very simple), that should guide them through the entire install.

On the RV-12 Skyview avionics installation, serial port 2 has been reserved / planned for the ADSB 470.

Any news on the date when Vans will have this ready for sale?

Any news on the date when Vans will have this ready for sale?

Sorry Mark, I can't answer that.
I can tell you that the installation has been done in N412RV to evaluate the installation manual and proper parts fit, and it has been flight tested.
So, the new product release should not be far away (call or email the office next week).

One comment...
The ADSB is very cool, but the thing we all noticed on our first flight with it is that you have to calibrate your thinking when brain compiling the date.
If you typically fly with the map range scaled at a 10 mile radius or more, and you fly near a major metro area, you will at first think that you have traffic threats coming at you from every direction. In reality, most of the depicted traffic is well over 5 miles away from you. I need to delve a little deeper into learning the configuration options, because if it is anything like the other systems on the market, it should be possible to configure for displaying traffic of specific threat levels (within a certain distance or altitude, etc.).

Bottom line.... It is a very cool tool that should help situational awareness, But, (IMHO) it also has the potential to suck a lot more of your outside scanning time into the cockpit looking at a screen. Remember, you can't count on All traffic being depicted on the screen... there are still a lot of non transponder/mode C aircraft flying around (if you are flying within a class B veil you should be able to rely on it more, but even then aircraft can enter on a waver if they stay clear of the actual class B).

My personal goal, as I learn to use this new technology, is to get it configured in a way that I like, and then instead of scanning the screen constantly, work to rely on letting the nice lady let me know when traffic is a possible threat.

I did not know that Vans would be offering an entire kit. Since I have already purchased the ADSB from Dynon will Vans sell me the remainder of the kit? I am inclined to wait if so. Thanks for your attention.

Doug Dahl

I did not know that Vans would be offering an entire kit. Since I have already purchased the ADSB from Dynon will Vans sell me the remainder of the kit? I am inclined to wait if so. Thanks for your attention.

Doug Dahl

I can't say for sure, but call or e-mail the office next week.
I think something could probably be worked out for the remaining parts once the kit is available.

In N412RV, where is the ADSB box located, and what is the path the antenna coax runs, and where is the antenna located? THANKS! What was the retrofit process like?

Comment on ordering ADSD-470 kit

I spoke with the order desk the last week of Jan about possibly being the "first" to add the new option to my avionics kit order. She told me that she didn't expect them to be shipping this option until after the first quarter but admitted it was just an estimate. So, I literally just wrote my largest check yet to Van's this morning. I'll definitely add this option later in the year but the weather is suppose to get warmer soon and I want to get moving on my build.

(I remember reading on here about all those guys waiting for the original Skyview upgrade to be released and for some it definitely held up their building for a long time. Van's does a thorough job of testing so its usually well worth the wait.)

In N412RV, where is the ADSB box located, and what is the path the antenna coax runs, and where is the antenna located? THANKS! What was the retrofit process like?

The 470 box mounts to the top of the com radio tray with some simple add on brackets.

The entire install is fast and simple with the exception of routing the ant. coax.
The ant. has to be installed on the bottom of the tail cone (longitudinally below the ADAHRS) to meet minimum distance requirements with the xponder ant.
The kit will include a new top half for the 3 cable anchor blocks in the tunnel, to provide the added space for another coax.

This is a bit inconsistent with the Dynon instructions which specify a minimum distance of 24" from the tnsp. antenna. Dynon would allow one to place the antenna under the passenger seat 24'' or more from the tnsp antenna.. Scott: do you know why this is?

Doug Dahl

I believe Dynon is much more liberal with regards to the specified minimum distance than any of the other manufacturers are (though I could be wrong)..

I think the location was chosen to take into consideration, meeting the requirements for all manufacturers so that with any future upgrades or options that might develop through out the possible long life span of the airframe, whats there will still be usable.

They are experimental aircraft. You could put it were ever you choose to, but accept the responsibility if you have interference problems.

The install kit will come with a coax to reach the location described previously.

For us going EAB, it appears that mounting it on the bulkhead just behind the fuel tank will work well, since we had some extra wires there from the 180 wiring anyway, and it will give us a short coax run to the antenna. That tunnel is getting pretty crowded.

Remember, you can't count on All traffic being depicted on the screen... there are still a lot of non transponder/mode C aircraft flying around (if you are flying within a class B veil you should be able to rely on it more, but even then aircraft can enter on a waver if they stay clear of the actual class B)..

I thought that way also, but Dynon says differently, I guess birds are all we need to look for, here is their quote:

Dynon Support Online
Forum Administrator
Dynon Employee
Dynon Technical Support

ADS-B is not just airplane to airplane, it also includes data from ground radars. Thus, ADS-B can send you everything ATC sees, which includes non-transponder equipped planes that only have a primary radar return. These targets will not have altitude, but will have position.

I thought that way also, but Dynon says differently, I guess birds are all we need to look for, here is their quote:

Dynon Support Online
Forum Administrator
Dynon Employee
Dynon Technical Support

ADS-B is not just airplane to airplane, it also includes data from ground radars. Thus, ADS-B can send you everything ATC sees, which includes non-transponder equipped planes that only have a primary radar return. These targets will not have altitude, but will have position.

That is what I meant, it wont have the full capability of calling it as a traffic threat if it doesn't know the alt. I guess it will just warn you of a possible threat at unknown altitude.

ADSB Install

Have my RV "down" for a while doing some changes. Just finished gear SB, moving on to ADSB.

From Scott's description Van's will be putting the box on top of the com and the antenna in rear under the ADAHRS, running the coax down the center tunnel with the rest of the wiring harnesses.

I have other plans for that space above the com and (as one who got caught in the SV "void" and did not enjoy running the wiring harnesses down the center channel after the plane was built) do not want to run the antenna coax along with the rest of the wiring down that center channel.

So, I am thinking of buying the ADSB from Dynon, mounting it on the back side of the baggage bulkhead (I think Don suggested this earlier) and mounting the antenna where Scott says Van's have it. Putting the ADSB box back there gives a long (8') run for the ADSB wires and a short (3-4') run for the bulkier antenna coax.

For the wiring I would buy the Van's ADSB harness and splice another 5' or so into it. I would run those ADSB wires forward under the left side longeron and to AV50000A. The coax will be in the same bay as the ADSB box and so not have to penetrate any bulkheads.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this approach. Doug Dahl, wondering if you have gone ahead.

ADSB Install

Thanks for the reminder about that thread, Bill. I now understand what Scott was saying in post #23 of that thread. I have decided to go ahead as described above.

Stein Air is making for me the 8 foot cable from the Dynon ADSB box to the Van's AV50000A Control Module plus a 4 foot coax from the rear bulkhead location to the Van's recommended antenna location. I also ordered the ADSB box and antenna from Stein.

Don't have Stein mount both DB9s! Easier to sneak the wire from the back to the front with just the pins taped together. Say, exactly what hardware comes with the 470 from Dynon? Don't they include one DB9 or something? Can you post a good pic of the box contents?

Also - so you intend to mount the box on the back side of the bulkhead. I presume near the bottom of it. So you will need enough slack in both the wires to the panel as well as the coax to the antenna to remove the panel enough top disconnect those. Are you 8 feet and 4 feet will be enough for that? (Sweetie is no longer nearby from easy measurements! But I hope to have my on-site hangar done in April!)

So I presume you will drill a hole in the aft bulkhead (not the cover) right underneath the aft end of the left longeron and put in a snap bushing? Then run the wires forward securing them somehow to the underside of the longeron, to the panel right below and to the left of the ignition switch? Then add another snap bushing and go up into the panel from underneath in that area? Thanks - Bill

Last edited:
Mounting and wiring ADFS-B

I mounted mine on the back of the baggage bulkhead. It works great but could be more user friendly. It would be nice, eg., if the map pointer highlighted a station and you could go directly to the Metar for that station. Unless I am missing something, you have to enter each identifier (except for the 20 nearest airports).

I did a stupid thing that cost me a lot of time. I had the habit of removing the aux fuel pump fuse and placing it in the ADS/GPS fuse position for debug activity. Ground check was OK. Then I would start the engine and fly to an altitude sufficient to receive the signal, about 150' agl here, which caused me to remove the fuse in order to operate the pump. Wala, no power (not found). I dont know how many times I reopened the tail cone, continuity, ground, etc. checked all wiring and found them OK, But never worked with the engine running whether in the air or not. Put a fuse in and it works great.

Use a fuse in the ADS/GPS position!!!!

Installing ADSB

Stein is making the cable with the pins on but leaving the connector off one end so it will be easy to thread through the angles under the longeron. Will use snap bushings and RTV where needed. I will be also using much of that routing for plastic tubing for the angle of attack.

I think Dynon does include connectors and pins, which I will not be using.

Yes, the plan is to put the box on the aft, left side of the bulkhead, near the longeron, and put the hole there. And, as you say, there will be a hole coming up through the bottom of the panel floor.

About length, 8 feet seems more than enough. It is about 5.5 feet from the bulkhead to the panel.

Stein plans to ship late next week. I will advise if this does not go as expected.

ADS-B Install

Just a quick update on this. Finished install this afternoon. Powered up and it seems OK - it is receiving and sending messages between the ADS-B box and Skyview. I have not flown it and will have the plane down with other stuff for another week or two.

I did the install as described above - box on back side of rear bulkhead, antenna in the back bay, etc. The only change I would make is to have the cables be 9 feet instead of 8 feet. It is "just right" with 8 feet and the box location I used (connector just a few inches from where I ran it the wires through the baggage bulkhead). Another foot would be better.

Oh, and be sure to put in the ADS-B fuse! I got it all hooked up, rubbed my hands together, turned it on.....and nothing. Started trouble shooting from the ADS-B box forward. Got to the 50000A box. No power from pin 1. What could it be? Yep...no fuse in the GPS/ADS-B slot.

Some of us never learn. I went thru the same exact troubleshooting, then did a search to see what I missed! Fuse just worked wonders.
Just a quick update on this. Finished install this afternoon. Powered up and it seems OK - it is receiving and sending messages between the ADS-B box and Skyview. I have not flown it and will have the plane down with other stuff for another week or two.

I did the install as described above - box on back side of rear bulkhead, antenna in the back bay, etc. The only change I would make is to have the cables be 9 feet instead of 8 feet. It is "just right" with 8 feet and the box location I used (connector just a few inches from where I ran it the wires through the baggage bulkhead). Another foot would be better.

Oh, and be sure to put in the ADS-B fuse! I got it all hooked up, rubbed my hands together, turned it on.....and nothing. Started trouble shooting from the ADS-B box forward. Got to the 50000A box. No power from pin 1. What could it be? Yep...no fuse in the GPS/ADS-B slot.

Back