What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Countersink Cutter size

Terrybrd

Just ordered 1st kit and need to get some tools ordered.
On the machine countersink cutters, which OD is best to get, the 3/8 or 1/2 size?
I bought a tool kit from a friend that built a Zenith so I have a lot of what I need but have to go through it.

Thanks
Terry

Just ordered 1st kit and need to get some tools ordered.
On the machine countersink cutters, which OD is best to get, the 3/8 or 1/2 size?
I bought a tool kit from a friend that built a Zenith so I have a lot of what I need but have to go through it.

Thanks
Terry

3 / 8 works good on most everything RV :)

Need a 1/2" for the gear mod (1/4" pilot), but I don't know if the new kits are built with the necessity for the mod or start from scratch.

Doug Dahl

I've got both, but as far as I can recall the 3/8 will work for everything EXCEPT the 1/2" diameter needed for the main gear wear plate. That one also requires a 1/4" pilot. I think it was around 4 bucks from Aircraft Spruce. Worked fine in a drill press on low RPM per Van's instructions.

Yep ... the 3/8" ones will work in tight places that the 1/2" dia won't. I found that out after I bought all 1/2" dia countersinks. :(

Thanks for the info.
I have all but the 1/4 one on order.
Waiting to hear from Vans that the kit is ready to ship, then the fun begins

Terry

More than one...

is a good thing. That way countersinks can be set to proper depth and not fooled with again. I got a good deal at OSH and bought 3 so I'd have a variety of sizes and set depths. Saves time..

Look on eBay - you will find several listed - they tend to be - good quality at a good price ..

How many of you also purchased the 120 degree countersinks? Don't forget those . . .

The 120 deg is required for the CS4 rivets (flush pull rivets) as they have a flatter head angle than the AD3 and AD4 rivets. You only need one with the #30 pilot.

You only need one 120 degree C-Sink, #30

True. And I taped mine to a bottle of CS4 rivets so I wouldn't get it confused with the 100 deg C-sinks. It's too easy to grab the wrong one, and then wonder why the rivets don't sit quite right. I mean, not that I've done that myself you understand...

Back